Hello - I installed malwarebytes a few weeks ago and the trial is expiring. Now I need to uninstall this application but keep receiving the following error "Unable to create a temporary file. Set up aborted. Error 5: access is denied". I am not the most technical person but here is what I tried:

1. Using the uninstall malwarebytes option from windows 10 menu resulted in the same error

2. Trying to uninstall from add/remove programs resulted in the same error

3. closing MB processes from task manager and stopping mbam services results in the same error

4. windows/program files/malwarebytes main folded is restricted to read only. I have admin privileges but am still unable to apply changes to the main/sub folders

Is there a complete resolution to uninstalling malwarebytes that does not include manually removing files and changing registry settings? I have already spent too much time trying to get this "free" version uninstalled to no avail.

Hello and Welcome!

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will uninstall MB3, when your reboot, and if you don't want it installed again Click No when prompted to reinstall)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to un-install your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After un-installing with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) If you are not prompted to install the latest version, you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.3.1.2183 CU 1.0.262) to re-install from HERE)

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

Some additional info, "Error 5: Access Denied" may indicate that the user account you're currently logged in as lacks administrative permissions.  This means that you cannot make changes to system files/folders, system registry keys or program files/folders.  If you are still unable to remove Malwarebytes via the tool Firefox linked to above, try right-clicking on it and selecting Run as Administrator then clicking Yes or Continue when prompted.  Otherwise you can try restarting the computer and logging into a different user account if you have access to one that has administrative privileges and then try uninstalling normally from that user account via Programs and Features.

Thanks for responding but ss my original post stated - I AM logged in as administrator so I don't know why it won't let me change permissions or why I am getting the access denied error. I am still trying to get the mb clean tool to work but I think this might be too complicated for someone like me who is not a developer or extremely technical.

16 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Hello and Welcome!

Let's try this first.... (Malwarebytes clean removal tool will uninstall MB3, when your reboot, and if you don't want it installed again Click No when prompted to reinstall)

1. Please follow the steps in this pinned topic to un-install your current version of MBAM and reinstall the latest build - Malwarebytes mb-clean tool (NOTE: After un-installing with the mb-clean tool you will be asked to reboot. Once you reboot it will ask you if you want to re-install Malwarebytes, you can select YES (it will download the latest version) If you are not prompted to install the latest version, you can download the latest version manually (currently v3.3.1.2183 CU 1.0.262) to re-install from HERE)

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank You,

Firefox

after running the tool I got a message saying to attach the zip file to my support ticket. Note that I did disable the MB processes and stopped the services, as mentioned in my original post.

mb-check-results.zip

Is it now uninstalled?  Is that all you needed is to have it removed? Did you get any errors?

Your logs show you still have it installed... and it does not seem like you ran the tool as your system has been up for 304.521 hours, so no reboot has been performed.

Edited by Firefox

3 minutes ago, Firefox said:

Is it now uninstalled?  Is that all you needed is to have it removed? Did you get any errors?

Your logs show you still have it installed... and it does not seem like you ran the tool as your system has been up for 304.521 hours, so no reboot has been performed.

I followed these instructions:

How to use it?

1. Download the latest version of MB-Check by clicking the link above
  2. Double-click and run mb-check.exe 
  3. A command window will appear stating "running mb-check" followed by "running mb-grab"
  4. Upon completion, a prompt will appear letting you know it's done and the "mb-check-results.zip" file will be on your desktop
  5. Attach the "mb-check-results.zip" file to your support case and/or your forums thread for further assistance

And attached the zip file. Am I also supposed to reboot? I know your instructions above say I will get a prompt to restart/restart, but this didn't happen so I attached the zip file thinking there might have been an issue with installing the tool.. I appreciate your patience in working with me.