RAM usage - what is going on?

It's certainly possible for software to fail, but when it takes down your whole system like this and you can't stop it from restarting in an infinite loop that disrupts literally everything... this is beyond a mistake, beyond an error, this is pretty much the definition of unacceptable. Like... I'm not sure I've ever experienced any program render my entire system unusable before. This is goddamn crazy.

• Replies 910
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Andrewtech89 said:

Same here. It seems that for many of us, the problem has occurred today within the last hour or so. My guess is that we all have something in common. I was watching a Youtube video within Google Chrome browser. My main theory right now is that an update, either windows, Google Chrome, or Malwarebytes itself, went live and I believe at that moment the memory leak began either during, or after its installation. We won't know for sure until someone uploads the logs for the Troubleshooting team here, via the instructions from the automated reply at the top of the page.

There is nothing in common, I was playing a random old game (hl2 ep2) and had this issue.

Afterwards I remembered I left my laptop back at home to defrag, and when I went to connect via teamviewer, I couldn't connect, called my parents and apparently the screen wasn't even turning on anymore. Apparently this issue managed to fry my display.

Yup woke up to the same today on my X1C5 10 pro and my 7 pro desktop crashed some apps and threw a bunch of errors, all 32GB of RAM. While waiting for a fix instead of uninstalling users can just kill mbamservice.exe then disable the same named service till they say it's fixed and then update the program like normal.

Malcolm

Just now, Stufish said:

You could put it in bold, but then it feels like you're shouting. And shouting isn't nice.

Shouting seems perfectly reasonable in this situation.  I've lost hours of work on two PC's this morning thanks to this bug.  Shouting, swearing, punching, kicking, and breaking glass all seem perfectly reasonable.

2 minutes ago, Andrewtech89 said:

Same here. It seems that for many of us, the problem has occurred today within the last hour or so. My guess is that we all have something in common. I was watching a Youtube video within Google Chrome browser. My main theory right now is that an update, either windows, Google Chrome, or Malwarebytes itself, went live and I believe at that moment the memory leak began either during, or after its installation. We won't know for sure until someone uploads the logs for the Troubleshooting team here, via the instructions from the automated reply at the top of the page.

I also was on youtube...

2 minutes ago, TogaMario said:

Same problem ... and glad it didn't take more than 5 seconds to find the thread where everyone else was having the issue. 99% RAM utilization with 32 GB machine and high CPU cycling ... you guys mining crypto through your clients now?

I asked the same. Would be profitable for sure.

How about rolling your jenky update back to the previous version!

People paid for this and less experienced users I am sure are loosing their minds probably taking their PC and paying hundreds of dollars in a repair shop because of refusal to ROLL IT BACK

Seems to be an inherent stubbornness with all developers refusal to roll something back

1 minute ago, AzKat said:

To everyone having this issue, immediately uninstall the antivirus and keep it uninstalled.

The ONLY way to keep it turned off is to uninstall it.

- Keeping it disabled on startup won't help.

- Killing it from task manager won't do anything

Uninstall it immediately and don't get on any "unsafe" sites until the issue gets fixed.

Not true. Simply open Services (type in "Services" in windows search).

Scroll down to find "Malwarebytes Service". RIght-click and select "Properties" and set the "Start-up Type" drop-down to "Disabled".

Reboot and you should be good to go. But remember to set this back to "Automatic" to re-enable when they've released a fix/patch version.

I had to reboot the pc. Well, with a hard reboot by pressing the powerbutton on the desktop.

I discovered that directly after the rebooting mbam was already using 80% ram of my 8gb.

So I immediately deactivated Malwarebytes Service inside services.msc

And gonna keep watch in this thread too see if there will be a solution today or tomorrow(or later since its a weekend).

5 minutes ago, AzKat said:

To everyone having this issue, immediately uninstall the antivirus and keep it uninstalled.

The ONLY way to keep it turned off is to uninstall it.

- Keeping it disabled on startup won't help.

- Killing it from task manager won't do anything

Uninstall it immediately and don't get on any "unsafe" sites until the issue gets fixed.

Easiest is:

Open Services

Find Malwarebytes

Right-click properties and set to Disabled (vs Automatic)

If the process is running, manually stop it.

John.