which is the most important?:o

Malwaremoose

hey guys, im just like any other 14 year old except im into computers, i have this computer right here and realised how old it is, 

it has a 2008 motherboard ( asus p5q deluxe )

ati radeon 4800 graphics card

and a intel core 2 quad cpu q9550 at 2.83 ghz, LOL!

(8gb ram)

Which is the most important for gaming?  im sort of in the £300 budget for probably 2 parts.

the graphics card AND the processor definetly need upgrading, but which do i get first?

ive currently been looking at this for a processor

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AMD-FX8350-Edition-Processor-4-2GHz/dp/B009O7YUF6/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1418763013&sr=1-3&keywords=amd+fx+8370

and this for a graphics card

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-251-MS&groupid=701&catid=56

my questions

- which should i get first if i have a slight gap between buying them

- would they suit my needs for playing battlefield 4 and COD, and games like dayZ ect

- i currently have a 500 watt power supply, would i need more? (800+)

thanks 

• Root Admin

I'm sorry but though you can tweak system settings and play much lowered graphics trying to use a computer to play modern 3D high end games is a losing battle that is expensive to keep a PC powerful enough to run new games. £300 budget is not going to cut it. Probably better off going the Gaming Console route though that's not cheap either these days.

That Core2Quad should still do the job fairly reasonably for most modern games. Definitely invest in a graphics card if you're looking to do any gaming. That component is far more important, especially these days with modern games which are designed to run better on the newer cards. You won't necessarily be able to max out all the settings in all current games, but you should be able to get by with at least decent/medium settings while still retaining decent framerates.

• Root Admin

LOL - I guess we don't agree on reasonable. I've been on systems like that and the play experience was not reasonable to me, but everyone is different.

Though certainly the video card is very important. Replaced an old Nvidia card on a system that would not play one of the newer Rome games with an AMD R9 270 and it made a night and day difference and the game was then playable.

LOL - I guess we don't agree on reasonable. I've been on systems like that and the play experience was not reasonable to me, but everyone is different.

Though certainly the video card is very important. Replaced an old Nvidia card on a system that would not play one of the newer Rome games with an AMD R9 270 and it made a night and day difference and the game was then playable.

Yeah, it can certainly vary from game to game, but as long as the CPU is of decent speed and particularly multi-core, it should do OK for loading/physics/whatever it's called on to do, especially with a light AV and not too much else consuming CPU while gaming. As always, faster is better of course, but as I said, at least in my opinion/experience, the graphics card is by far the biggest factor these days for framerates and of course resolution (not to mention most of the 'pretty' (i.e. shadow effects, anti-aliasing etc.)

By the way, I did a bit of checking and it looks like you might need a beefier power supply. Based on what I found, it seems they recommend a 600W or greater PSU and you definitely don't want to underpower your system or you could run into real problems, so I would suggest getting a new PSU along with the new graphics card.

Don't get an AMD CPU. 

Get an Intel i5 at >3GHz with an ASUS motherboard to match.

i did not see this succinctly mentioned in this thread ...

this P5Q is made for an intel CPU ... an AMD processor will not fit physically or work electrically .

it is like mixing apples and oranges .

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5Q/

i have the P5Q motherboard ... it has some years on it and it is still a good board .

you may have to flash the bios and select ram that will run at the top speed of the side buss (your ram speed was not mentioned above) .

as was mentioned ... grab a better swmps ... you do not need to spend large sums of money on it .

the graphics card is the deal breaker here ...

the graphics port on the P5Q is not as fast as the modern boards .

sure , you can save up your money and buy the best card that fits the slot and down the road put it into a better machine but you will still be limited by the design of the board .

in short , buy the best nvidia gpu based video card you can afford and run the wheels off of it .