what's your security setup?

byte_king

For free AV's most people would recommend Avast!, Microsoft Security Essentials or Panda Cloud Antivirus. All three are good choices and would protect a machine very well. I think all of them are lighter then AVG, I have tested MSE and Panda Cloud but I personally have never tested Avast! yet.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shan.m.kel,

Please use the ADD REPLY button at the bottom of the page in the future :)

Sure, I'll start a new thread for you in the PC Help forum :( Let me know when you're ready!

Some people would say Comodo but I do not trust them.

Same here. The whole atmosphere around them isn't right. I admit I use to use comodo products, but I'm not sure about them anymore. There forum is not overly tolerant of negative questions. I asked about the ask toolbar being adware and they completely ignored my question. Now I know for sure it is adware.

I had AVG on an old system I had but it started to slow the system down a lot and I found avast! and not looked back and never will use Comodo and thankfully their form and the AVG forum was another reason why I moved to avast! as its forum is quite active and friendly.

Products with Ask Toolbar

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=calendar&module=calendar&cal_id=&do=showevent&event_id=44516

I had AVG on an old system I had but it started to slow the system down a lot and I found avast! and not looked back and never will use Comodo.

My dad had avg on his computer. Eventually I had to remove it as it crashed every time I opened it. He has an old dell dimension 4700 with 256 mb and a pentium 3 with xp. I found avast wasn't doing much good ether. For unknown reasons it wasn't updating. Tried manual updates and got errors. Ended up replacing it with MSE. I figured windows update would take care of that.

Ah, well the point is moot for the moment - My main system died a nasty horrible death of either the PSU or Mobo variety, and it's going to be weeks before I have funds to fix it. :unsure:

I know the feeling as my old PIII bit the dust but it forced me to save my money and get a Windows 7 system. :lol:

The hard drives are still working and are used in my XP Pro system and as an external USB hard drive for backup purposes.

I know the feeling as my old PIII bit the dust but it forced me to save my money and get a Windows 7 system. :unsure:

The hard drives are still working and are used in my XP Pro system and as an external USB hard drive for backup purposes.

What's worse is I just shared some folders to my music/movies/files, so they're all locked to that particular Win7 SID. D:

My security setup on Win XP SP 3

Realtime: NIS 2010, Superantispyware Pro, Winpatrol plus

On-demand: Malwarebytes free, Spybot S &D

Immunization: Spywareblaster

Browsers: Firefox 3.6 and Flock browser with WOT, Noscript, PC tools Browser Defender. Sandboxie (free

Cleaning utilities: Glary utilities Pro, Ccleaner

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I tried it. Didn't care for it a whole lot. Right now I'm using PC Tools Firewall plus. Seems to work well. Comodo does alright. I use to use it. But I have personal issues with them now.

I tried Windows 7 Firewall Control Plus and found it was awkward to use and also kept losing it's settings, forcing me to basically start from scratch.

I switched to PC Tools Firewall Plus and it seems to work pretty well. I'd sort of like something not quite so simplistic, but it's working so far. (The price is right too.)

I've glanced at stem's Windows Firewall Guide (http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1449570&postcount=1) and it seems quite good. I'm going to read through it more carefully and see if it's a route I want to take.

I also looked at the Agnitum site and blog. Outpost Pro might be worthwhile, but I have to dig into it a bit more and see what people's experiences with it are like.

I also have thought about upgrading my NOD32 AV to the full package and using their firewall. This is another one I have to do some research on. I noticed that ESET doesn't seem to talk about their firewall features on their website, and I kind of wonder why they don't. (Or maybe I just didn't see it when I was looking around their site.)

I know the feeling as my old PIII bit the dust but it forced me to save my money and get a Windows 7 system. :)

Depending on what kind of Win 7 license you have (you can't legally do it with an upgrade version), you might want to look into VMWare Player. They have another product called vCenter Converter that lets you take a running system and package it as a VM that you can run on another computer using VMWare Player. (Both products are free for personal use.)

I'm running Window 7 64-bit, and I've tried the 32 and 64-bit version of Ubuntu, plus I did a fresh install of XP. All of these work extremely well with VMWare player.

So you could take your old XP Pro system, package it up as a VM and then run it on your new computer when you need it.

It's free to try, so you don't lose anything but a couple of hours of time trying it. (I enjoy doing stuff like that, so I don't mind spending the time on it.)

Just look at my signature =)

(It's a pain in the *** to update MSE via Windows Update. Wuauserv tends to bloat everything until the update is finished.)

(And using standalone updater -mpam-fe.exe- means TOO much to download just for the sake of an incremental update + a restore point. :o)

I wound up getting a really good deal on KIS 2010, so I have moved to that.

For now I am using MBAM as just an on-demand scanner (along with SAS Free version), but I see that some people are running MBAM real-time protection with KIS, so I will probably try that and see how it works.

I have been looking into Sandboxie and other similar software. KIS has some sandbox features, but I didn't have much luck with that when I tried it. I'm using the 64-bit version of Win 7, so I'm not even sure that sandbox software works properly. What I'm seeing is that it can't actually block software from escaping the sandbox. So I have to wonder why run software in a sandbox in that case?

I use Microsoft Security Essentials and have had problem with it updating through windows update.

Also use

Mbam Pro

SAS free

SpywareBlaster

Windows Firewall

64bit system

Dell Studio 1737/4gb Ram 300gb HD 64bit-Dell Studio XPS 435T 12Gb's Ram 2000gb HD 64bit

Windows Vista Home Premium with MSE, Mbam Pro, SAS free, SpywareBlaster,Ccleaner, ATF/ HiajckThis-ProcessExplorer-AutoRuns-

Kaspersky and BitDefender RescueCD's,SAS Portable as MRT