what is mbam-clean.exe?

It cleans up remnants of mbam that normal uninstallation does not. It will clear out anything in quarantine and any logs as well, and for paid users, the ID and key number will need to be re-entered to register it again. It is meant to be used after first uninstalling mbam via the control panel.

You don't need to get rid of it, but you can just delete it and empty the recycle bin if you don't want it after you've used it :) It doesn't actually install to your computer if that's what you mean.

I noticed when I ran it from the link you gave, I could not see where it comes from or where it installs to.

Now when I clicked the link you gave quick flash came then the box showing

mbam-clean.exe

from malwarebytes.org

I had the option to run, save, or cancel

I chose run

so

1. where does mbam-clean.exe come from?

2.where did the mbam-clean.exe get placed on my computer? Or did I run it as a direct/online exe? and thus did not store on my computer as it would have had I clicked save rather than run?

Hi -

It will not remain on your system - It is a "once only" uninstall program - The uninstaller was developed here - Malwarebytes.org -

If you have used Add/Remove then it will only clean any traces left - That is why you are told to reboot after uninstall -

The wiper will be removed as part of the procedure - Then you can safely reinstall at any time :( -

Oh, I'm sorry. It comes from Malwarebytes.org :(

What browser are you using? As for saving items, its wherever your browser is set to save items to when you download something :( I have mine set to save downloaded items to the desktop :) If you hit run, it probably just run then instead of actually saving.

• Root Admin

This is the routine you may have seen it from. DO NOT use it normally. If MBAM is working fine and you have mbam-clean just delete it.

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue.

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent

Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.

Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray and that you can run a quick scan and all is working as expected.

It will not remain on your system ...

Technically, if you click 'Run' after clicking the link for mbam-clean.exe (instead of clicking 'Save'), then Internet Explorer will automatically save it in a temp folder, and it will stay there until someone or something clears out the temp folders. Since the file size it so tiny, this is not really an issue, but I do recommend periodic clearing all temp files (preferably just before defragmenting your hard drive) as part of your regular computer maintenance. It is also a good idea to do it just before scanning for malware/viruses/etc.

For a quick temp file cleaner, I like ATF Cleaner (compatible with Windows 2000, XP, and Vista even though it doesn't say Vista on the site).

For more advanced cleaning, and a lot more functions, CCleaner is probably your best bet for free (if you make sure to not allow it to install it's silly toolbar). And TuneUp Utilities tends to be the best at registry cleaning and performance tweaking if you prefer a paid solution. :(

hehe :( I see you mentioned Tune Up; I used a trial of one of theirs years ago, I still get emailed newsletters, good to know it was legit ;)

Best registry cleaner I've ever seen. I had a license for it a couple of years ago, but I haven't had enough spare cash to bother renewing it.

• Root Admin

Two recommended articles to read on registry cleaners:

1- An often posted and quoted article, Ed Bott's Why I don't use registry cleaners

2- older article quoting two MVPS's, but relevant still is Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Long read here but some good information as well: Should I Use a Registry Cleaner?

Short story:

Automated Reg Cleaner = NO

Manually editing the Registry to Clean = Potentially depending on the issue

Thanks Ron ;)

I'll check those out later!

I forget which product I used of theirs.

I used a PC Tools reg cleaner and found out afterwards that wasn't such a good idea (it broke several programs on me and prompted really annoying windows installer messages) then came here and found out why it wasn't such a good idea :( lol

Now I know.

Short story:

Automated Reg Cleaner = NO

Manually editing the Registry to Clean = Potentially depending on the issue

That's true. While registry cleaners can fix odd errors, you won't actually see much of a performance increase from them. It's defragmenting the registry that produces a noticeable increase in performance. One of the reasons I like TuneUp Utilities. ;)

From the same people that make ERUNT (The Emergency Recovery Utility NT) which I think EVERYONE should use.

They have NTREGOPT (NT Registry Optimizer) Registry Optimization for Windows

http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/

True, but I always look at the last updated dates on those tools and freak out. Maybe I'm just a bit too paranoid, but when the OS is newer than the registry tool, then I won't run it. :D

I used it on Vista x64 SP2 a while back and let me tell you, it made absolutely NO difference in performance whatsoever. The only boosts I've ever seen from anything having to do with the registry was changing actual settings in the registry via "tweaks" :D . Defragmenting, removing redundant entries etc has never done anything for system performance for me.

@ GT500 -

Technically, if you click 'Run' after clicking the link for mbam-clean.exe (instead of clicking 'Save'), then Internet Explorer will automatically save it in a temp folder

I had assumed that the persons using it would "clean" after using the tool , but I forgot to mention that in the post -

As like mountree16 I also used ATF cleaner as a habit and did not mention this also - (Should have left a link) - :(

I found the MBAM clean tool can reside in your temp docs or a similar place (I have still got one there) - :D

That was from cleaning prior to doing an update to 1.42 -

EDIT -

Also I don't want to upset AdvancedSetup :D - That's how you get turned off for the day :) - Oops Sorry - :)

• Root Admin
Defragmenting, removing redundant entries etc has never done anything for system performance for me.

That's because your system is too new and doesn't have tons of software installed and removed for years. You need probably at least a 30%+ savings in order to notice a difference. If you're getting less than 15% you won't notice a change.

I am "The Expert :D" on this, having one too many times "cleaned" out my registry so thoroughly it messed up Windows in the process to the point of requiring a complete reinstall; a great learning experience in learning how not to do things. :D

I've made friends with ERUNT now - having had a few hiccups with it at first; now my best mate of the moment!