bug in the Play mode process?

FetzBox22

found the Problem...

I did add Malwarebytes to the Play mode...

But before checking for updates, I removed Malwarebytes from the Play mode and the Play mode was still on (with no item added).

I had to turn off Play mode and then updates startet working again.

Maybe it might be a bug, that even if I remove a Item from Play mode - it´s still on Play mode ??

Edited by FetzBox22

• FetzBox22 changed the title to bug in the Play mode process?

Yes you are correct. When doing the steps I added to the post in this forums. And then check for updates nothing happens. It just keeps loading.

Edit:

The only way to fix this. Close MB 5x. Go to Play Mode. Remove Malwarebytes.exe.

Then exit MB 5x, from system tray. And start again and everything else works.

Edited by unknownguy
Updated fix

• Root Admin

Please try the following @FetzBox22

Can you please do the following?

• Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  • In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file
  • In the User Account Control pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation
  • Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click the CLEAN button and follow the onscreen instructions to reinstall Malwarebytes
  • NOTE: Please have patience as it can take a while to remove and reinstall.
  • RESTART the computer once the reinstall has completed

After the restart please do the following

• Run the MBST Support Tool
  • In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced
  • In the Advanced Options, click Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your machine
  • A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your desktop, please upload that file on your next reply

Thank you

let me explain:

If I add the VLC Player to Play mode, open VLC and start a Malwarebytes update - Malwarebytes will never update (this is okay).

BUT,

if I remove VLC from the Play mode and the Play mode is still on, VLC is open in the background,

and start a Malwarebytes update - Malwarebytes will never update, this is not okay.

grafik.png.0ef7758a0ce12be48378b8e17002e781.png

The Playmode has no items added - but for Malwarebytes, there is still "some item in it".

I had to turn off Play mode and then updates startet working again, or restart Malwarebytes - closing the program does not help.

(Turning Play mode off and on again solves the problem too).

I still think, this is a bug. I am on 5.0.15.93

Edited by FetzBox22

29 minutes ago, icolcear said:

We created a bug for this and will be working on it. Thanks!

-> you could also exclude manual updates from "Play mode"...

Is there a Malwarebytes logic, that covers the following scenario?

- A user has added Firefox (steaming), VLC and Excel to Play mode.

- Because the user is working from home, the computer never get´s in too sleep mode, never get´s turned off and

Firefox are open for 24 hours, same with VLC and Excel.

-> When will Malwarebytes warn the user, that updates are too old?

-> How long will it take, before Malwarebytes ever updates itself?

-> Is there a Malwarebytes logic, that tell´s the user, that the program is not able to update, because of items using Play mode?

• Staff

Hmmm, interesting use case.

Play Mode was intended for Games. To minimize performance impact as much as we could for those extra few FPS. This closes the UI, pauses notifications, and pauses updates.

I don't think we notify about this.

If you ran a manual scan during this scenario, you will probably still get Database updates at the first step of the scan.

I wouldn't reccomend using it in your use case with Firefox/Excel/VLC. Since you won't be getting any benefit from what play mode was intended for.

But it's interesting to know your use case exists. We'll think about it. Thanks for your feedback!

Edited by icolcear
  • Thanks 1