Donated computer - Error upon starting and general "cleanup"

Hi,

I'm setting up a computer for an elderly friend in a nursing home.  The friend's family donated this older computer.  The person who had been using it has passed away, but I do not want to mess with the user's info or files...in case the family will be using her computer again in future.

So, I have created myself as a new user and administrator and signed in via my Microsoft user name and password.  After any cleanup, I will add my friend as a user (he already has a Microsoft user name and password).

I will attach results of the Malwarebytes scan and FRST scan, both done last evening.  The Malwarebytes scan did find one item, which I then quarantined.

Microsoft updates have several (older) items listed as downloaded, even though I attempted to download and install updates a couple of days ago.

Microsoft also has error message from time to time stating One Drive is not signed in.  One drive will be signed in once I've added an account/user for my friend who will be using this computer.  Is there a way to disable the "not signed in" error?

On startup, there is an error each time and states computer is collecting information and then automatically restarts.  The error is something like "store exception".

Also, previous owner played a lot of games.  New user will not be playing any of these games. 

Installed Chrome browser, but it seems to be slow?

Looking to clean up this computer and get it to run as "fast" as it can.

Appreciate your assistance!!!!

Julie

Addition 230204.txt FRST 230204.txt Malwarebytes scan 230204.txt

Hello @jammin67 and welcome back:

While you are waiting for the next qualified/approved malware removal expert helper to weigh in on your topic, and even though you may have run the following Malwarebytes utility, or its subsets, please carefully follow these instructions:

1. Download the Malwarebytes Support Tool.
  2. In your Downloads folder, open the mb-support-x.x.x.xxx.exe file.
  3. In the User Account Control (UAC) pop-up window, click Yes to continue the installation.
  4. Run the MBST Support Tool.
  5. In the left navigation pane of the Malwarebytes Support Tool, click Advanced.
  6. In the Advanced Options, click only Gather Logs. A status diagram displays the tool is Getting logs from your computer.
  7. A zip file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to the Public desktop, please attach that file in your next reply to this topic. Please do NOT copy and paste.

For the short time between when you post the diagnostic logs, and when your helper weighs in, please take no further self-directed remedial actions that will invalidate the diagnostic logs you will have sent.

Thank you.

Hello @Jammin67
You describe this machine as donated. You describe that it had belonged to a now deceased person. The machine is being given to another person.
Seems to me you should see if there are any "documents" or personal files that had bellonged to the deceased , and if still found, then copy them off to a USB-flash-thumb drive  and give that the deceased's family.

Then seriously consider to essentially rebuild the Windows 10 O.S.
Why I say that, the current OS is so so very ancient and out of service of Microsoft Support.
This is reported as Windows 10 Home Version 1511 10586.1176 (X64). This build version of Windows 10 is like from 2015.
That build reached MS end-of-service life on October 10, 2017.

The other thing I find of concern is when you wrote " I have created myself as a new user and administrator and signed in via my Microsoft user name and password"

Not the best thing to have done since Microsoft keeps a history of OS version and machine and user-account ....such that it is tied to the machine platform ---IF the user logs in with a Microsoft account login. That is to say, IF you signin with something other than a account that has a local password login.

Given the very very old OS, and "if" there are no add-on applications ( like games  ) that need to be kept,
Consider whether to simply do a Windows 10 O.S. repair-install while keeping NO apps, NO files.
With that the machine would have a current good Windows 10 O.S.

Let me know if you want to do that. If so, I will relay the how-to-tips.
Once after that procedure is done, you can if desired install something like BRAVE browser ( which is much better at blocking advertisements ) rather than "Chrome" ( which is the hardest to cleanup).
and then install Malwarebytes Browser Guard to each browser.

• Root Admin

Hello @jammin67

I can assist you in cleaning this computer if you like, but I would really suggest backing up all the user data to an external USB drive. Then do a CLEAN install of Windows 10. If you can afford it and know how to do the work possibly consider replacing the hard drive with an SSD hard drive which is 5x faster than a mechanical drive.

In any case, let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Thank you

I will back up the data (about 12.5G of pics mostly) to a USB. 

As for replacing the hard drive, it is not my computer and I highly doubt the family of my friend would consider replacing the hard drive.  They don't seem tech literate (neither am I, but do okay for a lay person) and I know they would question the need for any expense. 

The laptop actually runs pretty fast for being so old, but seems to have a bit of slowness with Chrome.  When I received the laptop, it didn't have Chrome on it...just Microsoft.

Okay, I'll back up the data. 

Thanks!

• Root Admin

If you're certain that ALL data is backed up, here are links on how to do a CLEAN install of Windows. @jammin67

Remember that you want all data from all profiles backed up. It's best to actually use something like Marcrium Reflect to do an image backup of the entire drive so that if you do find something is missing you can copy back from the backup.

Also, with a clean install it deletes ALL partitions, programs, data, etc. Any currently installed programs you want would have to be reinstalled so you'd need to make sure you have a valid installer for that program as well.

Greg Carmack - MVP 2010-2020 -Clean Install Windows 10
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/clean-install-windows-10/1c426bdf-79b1-4d42-be93-17378d93e587

How to Create a Local Account While Setting Up Windows 10
https://www.howtogeek.com/442792/how-to-create-a-local-account-while-setting-up-windows-10/

@AdvancedSetup,

Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday...I've been ill.  

Anyway, the Windows 10 clean install is done.  I've pretty much got the laptop set up for my elderly friend.  Will continue to check for updates.

Is there anything else to be done at this point?

Thank you for your help!

Julie

• Root Admin

Hi, Julie @jammin67 great job 👍

I'd like to get some fresh Farbar logs to review when you have time.

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

Overall looks good, but the system appears to be missing some driver and it also rebooted due to some bug check. Hopefully that was a fluke and does not do again.

==================== Faulty Device Manager Devices ============

Name: PCI Device
Description: PCI Device
Class Guid:
Manufacturer:
Service:
Problem: : The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)
Resolution: To install the drivers for this device, click "Update Driver", which starts the Hardware Update wizard.

Please open Device Manager and then look for a yellowed out item. Then right-click Properties - Details

Then under the Property click the down arrow and select Hardware Ids 

Then select ALL with a right mouse click and copy all and paste that back here, please @jammin67

• Root Admin

Hi @jammin67 I'm back.

This appears to be the Realtek PCIE CardReader

This package contains the driver that enables the Realtek Card Reader

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp88501-89000/sp88828.exe

Please download this file to your computer and save it. Then close all applications and see if you can install it.

After it installs please restart the computer.

Then run the Farbar scanner again and get me new logs

FRST.TXT
ADDITION.TXT

Thanks

• Root Admin

I take it the installation went well. I don't see the missing driver Event Log entry anymore.

You might want to run the following.

Start an elevated admin command prompt. Click on Start and type in CMD.EXE and when it shows on the menu right-click and select "Run as administrator" then copy and paste the following into the window and press the Enter key.

SFC.EXE  /SCANNOW 

Then copy and paste the following

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth 

Then copy and paste the following

ECHO Y|CHKDSK C: /F 

Then restart the computer and don't tough any keys. Let the disk check run.

Then run the following for me

Please download the following tool

Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/farbar-service-scanner/dl/62/

Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
  • Windows Firewall
  • System Restore
  • Security Center/Action Center
  • Windows Update
  • Windows Defender

Click "Scan"

It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
Please attach the log to your next reply.

Thank you @jammin67

• Root Admin

Thank you for the log. It shows that those items are okay.

As for the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) that is what showed in the logs before and I was hoping some updates might help correct it.

Please check and see if you have a file named  C:\Windows\Memory.dmp

See if you can zip that up and if the zip is less than 64MB you can upload here. If it's bigger than that let me know @jammin67