Slow internet after Malwarebytes 4.1.0 upgrade.

Hello,

A week ago I updated Malwarebytes from 3.8 to 4.1.0 and after that I'm experiencing really slow internet on my laptop. Its only on my laptop because on my phone the internet is fine.

I'm using Google Chrome and everytime I try to open a page it takes 5-10 seconds for the page to open and in the bottom left corner is says "Resolving Host". I am using the Malwarebytes Browser Guard too. Also when I right-click on Malwarebytes and click "Quit Malwarebytes" it seems like the program stops but when I check Task Manager in the Service tab, the Malwarebytes Service is stuck at "Stopping" and I have to restart my laptop..

Please help me.

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes for Windows Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following:

Malwarebytes Support Tool - Advanced Options

This feature is designed for the following reasons:

• For use when you are on the forums and need to provide logs for assistance
  • For use when you don't need or want to create a ticket with Malwarebytes
  • For use when you want to perform local troubleshooting on your own

How to use the Advanced Options:

Spoiler
  1. Download Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Double-click mb-support-X.X.X.XXXX.exe to run the program
    • You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.
  3. Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
  4. Navigate to the Advanced tab
  5. The Advanced menu page contains four categories:
    • Gather Logs: Collects troubleshooting information from the computer. As part of this process, Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) is run to perform a complete diagnosis. The information is saved to a file on the Desktop named mbst-grab-results.zip and can be added as an email attachment or uploaded to a forum post to assist with troubleshooting the issue at hand.
    • Clean: Performs an automated uninstallation of all Malwarebytes products installed to the computer and prompts to install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows afterwards. The Premium license key is backed up and reinstated. All user configurations and other data are removed. This process requires a reboot.
    •  Repair System: Includes various system-related repairs in case a Windows service is not functioning correctly that Malwarebytes for Windows is dependent on. It is not recommended to use any Repair System options unless instructed by a Malwarebytes Support agent.
    • Anonymously help the community by providing usage and threat statistics: Unchecking this option will prevent Malwarebytes Support Tool from sending anonymous telemetry data on usage of the program.
  6. To provide logs for review click the Gather Logs button
  7. Upon completion, click OK
  8. A file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop
  9. Please attach the file in your next reply.
  10. To uninstall all Malwarebytes Products, click the Clean button.
  11. Click the Yes button to proceed. 
  12. Save all your work and click OK when you are ready to reboot.
  13. After the reboot, you will have the option to re-install the latest version of Malwarebytes for Windows.
  14. Select Yes to install Malwarebytes.
  15. Malwarebytes for Windows will open once the installation completes successfully.

Screenshots:

Spoiler

Spoiler

01.png

02.png

03.png

04.png

05.png

06.png

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/requests/new to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: Find my premium license key

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

1 hour ago, RoVibes said:

Please help me.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply

17 hours ago, Porthos said:

Disable web protection only and restart the computer.

Restart.png

I disabled the protection and restarted. The problem is solved, but it bothers me right now that one of the protection modules is disabled. I hope Malwarebytes fixes this situation asap.

Thank you so much for your help :) Have a nice day/night :) 

10 minutes ago, RoVibes said:

but it bothers me right now that one of the protection modules is disabled.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:18 AM, RoVibes said:

I am using the Malwarebytes Browser Guard too.

Keep using the Browser guard and you should be fine for now.

I would also suggest turning on Windows Defender as well. To do that see below.

Security center.png

Edited by Porthos

On 4/25/2020 at 2:18 PM, RoVibes said:

Hello,

A week ago I updated Malwarebytes from 3.8 to 4.1.0 and after that I'm experiencing really slow internet on my laptop. Its only on my laptop because on my phone the internet is fine.

I'm using Google Chrome and everytime I try to open a page it takes 5-10 seconds for the page to open and in the bottom left corner is says "Resolving Host". I am using the Malwarebytes Browser Guard too. Also when I right-click on Malwarebytes and click "Quit Malwarebytes" it seems like the program stops but when I check Task Manager in the Service tab, the Malwarebytes Service is stuck at "Stopping" and I have to restart my laptop..

Please help me.

Not sure if it's related but my Chrome browser slowed down after a windows update today and didn't get better after resetting chrome or disabling Malwarebytes. Resolving host showing in bottom left corner. Speedtest showed I was still getting over 200mbs download speeds from virginmedia.

After another restart I opened Microsoft Edge to check my emails and look at the sites I'd wanted. Then I went back to Chrome and found it was working normally again. So opening Edge might be worth a try.

Right now I'm experiencing again those exact issues with resolving host even tho Malwarebytes web protection is disabled... 

4 hours ago, ynysygwas said:

So opening Edge might be worth a try.

I tried it at its so faster than Chrome, but I don't want to start using a new browser ... I'm used to Chrome..

I think I might roll back to the latest Malwarebytes 3.X.X version available and see if that makes any difference.. If it does, I'll stay with 3.X.X until this issue is fixed, but If it doesn't maybe the issue isn't from Malwarebytes afterall.

8 minutes ago, RoVibes said:

think I might roll back to the latest Malwarebytes 3.X.X version available and see if that makes any difference

You do not have to go back that far, See Below.

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

I suggest using the following clean install guide.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

Let me know if that clears up the issue or not.

Just FYI, if you seek an alternative to Chrome that uses pretty much the same layout and features (just without Google's tracking/monitoring/advertising), SRWare Iron is a viable option.  That's my primary browser and it works great, is fully compatible with all Chrome plugins/extensions and has pretty much all the same features and benefits of Chrome without the high cost of your privacy (which is a cost too high in my opinion).

On 4/28/2020 at 4:39 AM, Porthos said:

You also have the option of reverting to an earlier component package version, which will allow you to keep Web Protection enabled.
You can download this from here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/z6cravnwptrzx5tyjw36jq6zt6c7apsx

Once installed, you will need to disable the two update options found in Settings -> General -> Application updates to prevent the product from updating back to the affected version.

Please do the following Uninstall and reinstall using the Malwarebytes Support Tool

Please have lots of patience with the tool.  The first phase is a cleanup and does require a Windows Restart.
After the Restart, it may take 2 - 3 - 4 minutes till the Support tool screen shows up.   Please be patient and have faith.  Wait for it, whatever it takes.
The 2nd phase is where it offers to do a new Install. Say no and use the download from my above link and install the old version and disable the update before you do anything else.

I did this and for now the problem is gone. If it comes back up I'll write again.

On 4/28/2020 at 2:32 PM, exile360 said:

Just FYI, if you seek an alternative to Chrome that uses pretty much the same layout and features (just without Google's tracking/monitoring/advertising), SRWare Iron is a viable option.  That's my primary browser and it works great, is fully compatible with all Chrome plugins/extensions and has pretty much all the same features and benefits of Chrome without the high cost of your privacy (which is a cost too high in my opinion).

I'll check it out and I might start using it if I like it.

20 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I read this right after I registered and done some of the tips. Thank you !

Excellent, I'm glad that the information provided has been helpful.  Hopefully the issue will be resolved permanently in an upcoming release, and please let us know how things go and if anything changes or there are any further issues, and please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions about anything and we will do our best to clarify.

Thanks

25 minutes ago, Fatcap said:

Same problem for me.. sometimes host issue and ping over high (600) in fiber , and ping up too when dowloading.. Web protection disabled and no hots and ping issue..

I'd suggest trying this. It helped me

But I think the best thing to do is to open a new forum thread. That way they'll help you individually because you need to provide logs.

55 minutes ago, RoVibes said:

• 2 months later...
On 4/29/2020 at 4:05 PM, exile360 said:

Excellent, I'm glad that the information provided has been helpful.  Hopefully the issue will be resolved permanently in an upcoming release, and please let us know how things go and if anything changes or there are any further issues, and please don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions about anything and we will do our best to clarify.

Thanks

Hello, I haven't had any problems, but I would like to ask is that issue fixed in some of the new updates ? I don't really know where I could get information if the issue gets fixed in an update.

2 hours ago, RoVibes said:

Hello, I haven't had any problems, but I would like to ask is that issue fixed in some of the new updates ? I don't really know where I could get information if the issue gets fixed in an update.

Are you on the older version I suggested still? if so stay there for now.