RoVibes

Slow internet after Malwarebytes 4.1.0 upgrade.

4 minutes ago, RoVibes said:

Okay, thanks for the information. Is there any way for me to know when an update is released that fixes this issue ?

Watch the following topic and look specifically at what the update is supposed to fix.

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Watch the following topic and look specifically at what the update is supposed to fix.

Alright, thank you very much !!

12 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

New MB4 Beta CU12 should resolve most of the reported audio stuttering and slow DNS issues while torrenting
Please give it a try and let us know if this resolves your issue or not
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257042-malwarebytes-41-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1392986

Thank you

I updated it to the latest beta and I'll test it for two-three days. I'll reply with the results.

@RoVibes   Bravo !   I am confident that the pc's Chrome browser won't be experiencing the stall display on the status bar with "resolving host".

If and only if it were to appear, then you will want to provide us details, like how long Chrome was left open / how many tabs / and if it has been more than a couple of days since the last Wndows Restart   ( ie, normal startup).

and by the way, since April when this topic first started, there have been several fixes & improvements in the program.

Sincerely.

Hello, just as I was going to reply that I didn't have any problems the past days after I installed version 4.1.2.73 component update 1.0.979, the problem appeared again. I'll start from the beginning.

I turn off my laptop every night. Today I turned it on and left it on for maybe 2 hours without touching it. In that time the scheduled scanner was scanning. After the 2 hours that I wasn't using it I sat down and I noticed that Malwarebytes had found 16 threads. The interesting thing was that those threads were found yesterday too and I quarantined them. I expanded the details and they were some files from Google Chrome in AppData(The same items as yesterday). I saved them as .TXT to post a question in the forum, are they really a thread or are they a False-Positive.(I've attached the results from the scan to the post.)

As I open Chrome I noticed that my homepage(Google) is loading slower than usual, but it loaded. I typed forums.malwarebytes.com in the search bar and the annoying "Resolving host" appeared again and the page wouldn't load.(Keep in mind I hadn't quarantined the threads that Malwarebytes found today). I thought maybe the files that Malwarebytes found messed up Chrome or something and I tried Microsoft Edge. I typed forums.malwarebytes.com and again I recieved a "Resolving Host" on the bottom left. I quarantined the threads and deleted them from history(Malwarebytes didn't ask for a reboot when it was done), then I disabled the "Web Protection" module and tried to access the forum again but the "Resolving host" was still there(I tried opening other pages too but they weren't loading either). I opened Malwarebytes and tried to turn on the "Web protection" module again. As I clicked on the switch the program completely froze and I couldn't close it, move it around the screen, minimize it etc. I restarted my laptop and when it booted up, Malwarebytes was working normally and the pages were loading perfectly and the "Resolving Host" issue was gone.

scanresults.txt

On 7/11/2020 at 2:55 PM, RoVibes said:

Hello, just as I was going to reply that I didn't have any problems the past days after I installed version 4.1.2.73 component update 1.0.979, the problem appeared again. I'll start from the beginning.

I turn off my laptop every night. Today I turned it on and left it on for maybe 2 hours without touching it. In that time the scheduled scanner was scanning. After the 2 hours that I wasn't using it I sat down and I noticed that Malwarebytes had found 16 threads. The interesting thing was that those threads were found yesterday too and I quarantined them. I expanded the details and they were some files from Google Chrome in AppData(The same items as yesterday). I saved them as .TXT to post a question in the forum, are they really a thread or are they a False-Positive.(I've attached the results from the scan to the post.)

As I open Chrome I noticed that my homepage(Google) is loading slower than usual, but it loaded. I typed forums.malwarebytes.com in the search bar and the annoying "Resolving host" appeared again and the page wouldn't load.(Keep in mind I hadn't quarantined the threads that Malwarebytes found today). I thought maybe the files that Malwarebytes found messed up Chrome or something and I tried Microsoft Edge. I typed forums.malwarebytes.com and again I recieved a "Resolving Host" on the bottom left. I quarantined the threads and deleted them from history(Malwarebytes didn't ask for a reboot when it was done), then I disabled the "Web Protection" module and tried to access the forum again but the "Resolving host" was still there(I tried opening other pages too but they weren't loading either). I opened Malwarebytes and tried to turn on the "Web protection" module again. As I clicked on the switch the program completely froze and I couldn't close it, move it around the screen, minimize it etc. I restarted my laptop and when it booted up, Malwarebytes was working normally and the pages were loading perfectly and the "Resolving Host" issue was gone.

scanresults.txt 3.7 kB · 0 downloads

Since Saturday untill now I haven't had problems with the "Resolving Host" issue. I don't really know why it came back and vanished after I restarted my laptop. However Malwarebytes keeps finding those files again and again even if I quarantine them. Should I create a new post in the "False Positives -> File Detection" section of the forum ?

Greetings,

Those detections look like sites in the allowed list for push notifications; a function often abused by scammers, aggressive advertisers, and sometimes malware distributors to try and convince users to visit unsafe sites, view adds or download malware.  If they are returning it is likely due to the sync function in Chrome and the instructions in this topic should help, but please let us know if they do not.

25 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Greetings,

Those detections look like sites in the allowed list for push notifications; a function often abused by scammers, aggressive advertisers, and sometimes malware distributors to try and convince users to visit unsafe sites, view adds or download malware.  If they are returning it is likely due to the sync function in Chrome and the instructions in this topic should help, but please let us know if they do not.

Thank you !

I reset my sync, removed the found items and than did another scan. On the second scan Malwarebytes didn't find anything.

That's great to hear, I'm glad that it worked :) 

Please let us know if you encounter any further issues, especially if the resolving hosts issue returns.

Thanks

On 7/15/2020 at 3:14 PM, exile360 said:

That's great to hear, I'm glad that it worked :) 

Please let us know if you encounter any further issues, especially if the resolving hosts issue returns.

Thanks

Today the resolving hosts issue came back ... My laptop was turned on and I hadn't used it for 1-2 hours. When I Opened Chrome/Edge the pages were loading slowly and on the bottom left corner it said resolving hosts again... Had to restart my laptop 2 times. On the second time I turned it on the issue was gone.

7 minutes ago, RoVibes said:

Today the resolving hosts issue came back ... My laptop was turned on and I hadn't used it for 1-2 hours. When I Opened Chrome/Edge the pages were loading slowly and on the bottom left corner it said resolving hosts again... Had to restart my laptop 2 times. On the second time I turned it on the issue was gone.

Could you provide a new set of logs please.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

[  adding remarks, since this caught my attention]

It is great that you've turned off the Windows' Fast Start setting.   Further, indeed a Restart following a "resolving host" stall out does indeed get things to normal with the browser.

What we also should emphasize, is a daily practice to do a normal Windows Start.    [ i.e., do not just simply go with Sleep-wake for days and days on end.]

which leads me into the factor of the Scheduled scan time within this Premium MB4.  It is set for 02:10  AM

It can easily be triggered at the wrong time   ( like a wake-from -sleep or a windows Start  IF the scheduled scan was not done before.   There is a note about a fix in the most recent Beta C U  1.0.988).

Change the scheduled scan time to another time.  Like perhaps at the lunch-hour-time.

Also, I would suggest you set your MB4  to elect into the Beta.

Here is a snippet from the notes in the recent beta

Fixed: Scheduled scan start immediately after sleep/hibernation/restart if scan time was missed

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257042-malwarebytes-41-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1394883

At this very moment, a newer beta was just announced.    Even though your Windows version is on Version 1909,   the newest beta should do fine.

See  https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/257042-malwarebytes-41-beta/?do=findComment&comment=1395736

This latest Beta has component update 1.0.990

Fixed: MB4 causes severe system performance issues with Windows 10 v2004. 

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you

16 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

What we also should emphasize, is a daily practice to do a normal Windows Start.    [ i.e., do not just simply go with Sleep-wake for days and days on end.]

Yes, every night I turn off my laptop completely. I don't leave it on sleep.

which leads me into the factor of the Scheduled scan time within this Premium MB4.  It is set for 02:10  AM

Alright, I'll change the schedules time for a scan.

At this very moment, a newer beta was just announced.    Even though your Windows version is on Version 1909,   the newest beta should do fine.

16 hours ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Please note that we have released a new beta today that we hope should address the issue with Windows 10 build 2004

If you're running Windows 10 build 2004 and were having an issue please try the new beta and let us know if this beta version corrects the issue or not.

Thank you

Yes, I am in the Beta and I updated to the latest release. I'll test it and reply if the new version and changing the Scheduled Scan had fixed the resolving hosts issue.

Good morning.   I look forward to your future input. 

I know directly of one other customer,  who's pc is on Windows 10 Version 1903, who is doing normal now that their pc is on the latest Beta. Their main prior issue was the "resolving host" browser stall.

On 7/21/2020 at 3:53 PM, Maurice Naggar said:

Good morning.   I look forward to your future input. 

I know directly of one other customer,  who's pc is on Windows 10 Version 1903, who is doing normal now that their pc is on the latest Beta. Their main prior issue was the "resolving host" browser stall.

Last night the resolving hosts issue came back again even though I was on the lastest beta... I downgraded to the version from Prothos with which I had no problems.

Malwarebytes version: 4.0.4.49, Component package version 1.0.750

I don't really know how could that help but I recorded a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2_Tc0l5h-c

Regret to read all this.  Regret that your Lenovo ran into issue.   What was not mentioned was, what preceded the event.  Such as was this a windows wake-from sleep ?  was this immediate after the wake ?  or perhaps had Chrome been in use quite a lot before hitting the browser-message ?

All this and what follows is my own view  & my own observation.

I am not a big fan of going backwards to an old version of the program.  One loses out on a lot of fixes & enhancements that have been made over all the various recent releases.

Plus also, you lose especially on adjustments, fixes over the last two releases.

I do strongly believe your machine would benefit from a brand new clean-remove-reinstall using the Support tool  ( mbst ) + a few basic changes.

Then and only then, should the issue ( same issue) re-appear to then Only just turn off "ransomware protection"  and then see how it goes.  If that did not help, one can then also turn off the "web protection" to see if that helps.   Point being to at least keep the latest for the Malware protection  & to have the latest enhancements.

.   .  .

Special measures if needed:

I do not know whether or not you are aware:   The notification area blue-icon for Malwarebytes has right-click options.

You can selectively turn off one or more of the Protections.   You could also do a EXIT out of the program  ( by clicking Quit Malwarebytes option)

Please see the  article  https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038524254-Quit-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-Premium-services

The "right-click" options are shown on the 2nd image of that article.

One also needs to keep in mind, that those protections are typically controlled on the main window of the Malwarebytes for Windows program.

Entirely off-topic,  please make recovery media for your machine.   See https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/261912-general-notes-on-windows-recovery-media/

.  .  .  .  .  .  .

Here is what I would do if this were my machine.

1.  Do one Restart so that Windows has a fresh slate session.

2.  Do a clean-install-reinstall with the Support tool     ( have lots of patience in all of that )

Your pc already has the tool so you need not re-download.

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-Malwarebytes-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Just have infinite patience after it reboots  ( it may take a while for the screen to show for the new-install-steps.

3. After new install completes, go into Settings >>  on the General tab >> click "Check for Updates".   Making sure it gets all current.

4. Change the Start time for the scheduled Scan  from 2 AM  to some later time during the day.   ( something like perhaps the lunch-time )

Look at the section 'To edit an existing scan" in this knowledge base article 

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479174-Set-up-automatic-scans-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

5.  Entirely optional ; but recommended

Settings >> General tab >>  scroll to Manual scan performance impact

Click the radio-choice  for  "Manual scans take less priority   ( less performance impact )

H T H

Sincerely.

5 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

What was not mentioned was, what preceded the event.  Such as was this a windows wake-from sleep ?  was this immediate after the wake ?  or perhaps had Chrome been in use quite a lot before hitting the browser-message ?

It happened right after I turned on my laptop. I turned it on, let it load all the stuff for maybe 5-10 minutes then I opened Chrome and the resolving hosts issue had appeared again.

I am not a big fan of going backwards to an old version of the program.  One loses out on a lot of fixes & enhancements that have been made over all the various recent releases.

I know I really hate downgrading program versions too but I literally cannot use my laptop with that issue..

You can selectively turn off one or more of the Protections.   You could also do a EXIT out of the program  ( by clicking Quit Malwarebytes option)

I hate turning the Protection modules too... I wouldn't had bought Malwarebytes if I didn't want to use all the Protective modules... I really love Malwarebytes and it is unfortunate that this issue happened.. Also when I have the issue and click Quit Malwarebytes the program quits but the issue still presist even though Malwarebytes isn't working anymore.

2.  Do a clean-install-reinstall with the Support tool     ( have lots of patience in all of that )

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023473-Uninstall-and-reinstall-Malwarebytes-using-the-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool

Just have infinite patience after it reboots  ( it may take a while for the screen to show for the new-install-steps.

3. After new install completes, go into Settings >>  on the General tab >> click "Check for Updates".   Making sure it gets all current.

4. Change the Start time for the scheduled Scan  from 2 AM  to some later time during the day.   ( something like perhaps the lunch-time )

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038479174-Set-up-automatic-scans-in-Malwarebytes-for-Windows-v4

Click the radio-choice  for  "Manual scans take less priority   ( less performance impact )

I'll do a completely new Malwarebytes reinstall one last time with these steps, if it doesn't work this time I'll downgrade again to the Malwarebytes version that I don't have issues with and I'll use that. After I complete the process I'll reply again.

7 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Literally did every single step from here and no luck .The Resloving Hosts issue came back. I turned off the Ransomware and Web Protection modules and that didn't fix it. I had to clean it again with the Support tool for the sites to load. I'm installing the version that I didn't have any problems with and I'll wait for the issue to get fixed.