Windows 7 can't install Malwarebytes

I bought the program for three devices, installed on one computer, but my second computer will not allow me to save the download. I get "error occurred" message. I've tried downloading in safe mode, but get the same message. I ran a full scan a few weeks ago using Msoft Sec Ex and found & removed a trojan. I deleted that program before buying yours. I'm pretty sure I have another trojan hirse or something.  Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, 1MitchX said:

Installer does not work: 

MB2.png

Ok, Lets get .net 4.0 so you can run the support tool.

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer) https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718

After you get .net installed, Restart the computer and try to run the support tool again and get the logs.

• Root Admin

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Thank you

• Root Admin

The following will remove some unwanted old settings or software settings from running. It will also check the validity of your Operating System files as well as clean your temp files and run a disk check.

Please download the attached fixlist.txt file and save it to the Desktop.
NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64, and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

Run FRST or FRST64 and press the Fix button just once and wait.
If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please download and try to install the following .NET installer. If there is an error during the installation please get a screen shot and record the error details

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 offline installer for Windows
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=863265

Supported operating systems

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7.2 (Offline Installer) supports the following operating systems:

Windows Server 2016 (version 1709)
    Windows 10 Anniversary Update (version 1607) (x86 and x64)
    Windows 10 Creators Update (version 1703) (x86 and x64)
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update (version 1709) (x86 and x64)
    Windows Server 2012 R2 (x64)
    Windows 8.1 (x86 and x64)
    Windows Server 2012 (x64)
    Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (x64)
    Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (x86 and x64)

• Root Admin

Don't touch it. It is a very intensive and long installer and you have a very old slow computer so it will take a long time. Do not reboot or try to stop it or you'll cause more problems that will be very difficult to fix.

Just be patient and let it run, even if it takes over night.

Old computers, old cars, I like to keep things running as long as feasible. I don't care for Msoft telling me when I have to replace my computer. 

I hope your application does a better job of protecting my computer that Msoft did. 

I really appreciate your assistance!

I'll let it run overnight. Does it need to continue to be connected to the web? I feel a bit vulnerable right now & would prefer to sign off this computer if that isn't going to affect this process.

• Root Admin

As long as you're not browsing and other apps are closed there should be no real concern leaving it connected. Microsoft keeps checking back and forth for settings and updates so disconnecting might cause a failed install.

Personally I have no problems with you running an old Windows version but you really need to be protecting your data otherwise sooner or later you may find you're stuck. Make sure you make a good master image of your system and data to an external USB drive. Macrium Reflect or Acronis True Image are a couple of the best programs for this.

Then make a new backup for incremental backups. Do not ever add/change the Master. You always want something to fall back on.

We can discuss in more detail if needed.

• Root Admin

Using the FRST program you ran before. Please download this script attachment and save it to the same location and run it as before and post back the new log

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

NOTICE: This script was written specifically for this user, for use on this particular machine. Running this on another machine may cause damage to your operating system.

If the tool needs a restart please make sure you let the system restart normally and let the tool complete its run after restart.
The tool will make a log on the Desktop (Fixlog.txt). Please attach or post it to your next reply.

Note: If the tool warned you about an outdated version please download and run the updated version.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Yes, looks like the install did not complete for some reason. Let me have you run this. Please ATTACH the log file.

NOTE. It's important that both files, FRST or FRST64 and fixlist.txt are in the same location or the fix will not work.

fixlist.txt

Thanks

• Root Admin

Yes, the version 4 did not install.

Please try the .NET installer again. But this time reboot the computer first. Then quit Malwarebytes or any other antivirus program and don't use the computer at all while it's running. All other programs should be closed and leave the computer alone.