1MitchX

Windows 7 can't install Malwarebytes

Allright.   The custom script run is a good one.  Now then, we may go ahead and try a new install of Malwarebytes for Windows.

Lets go slow and careful.   The installer for Malwarebytes is mb4-setup-consumer-4.0.4.49-1.0.750-1.0.14966.exe

on the Downloads folder.   So, using Windows Eplorer go to Downlods folder

then

do a RIGHT-click with the mouse pointer on  mb4-setup-consumer-4.0.4.49-1.0.750-1.0.14966.exe   & selevct Run as Administrator

and reply YES  when prompted and Allow it to proceed

Go carefully.  If prompted, select Home use   ( not business)   and take the normal default options.

Do not do any uninstalls  or fixes on your own.   If you run into a hitch, please stop  and tell me about it all first.

😊

YAY!

Now, can we please delete all of the files I uploaded here? I don't like the thought of that being out here.

Can you tell me what the problem was?

Do I have the latest Net Framework now?

Also, in a very early reply one of your experts mentioned discussing further the best ways to protect my data.

I have an external 1 TB hard drive I do back ups to. He mentioned something about a master that should never be changed. 

I REALLY appreciate all of the help you and your staff have provided!

YAY.png

YAY !   Bravo to you.

There is no rush needed about cleanups of tools.   We will cover that later.

I really am not clear what the issue of install failure of Malwarebytes.   I sort of suspect that some Windows service was not as it should have been.

I believe AdvancedSetup  ( Ron that is)  was your helper.  I will get him to cover the suggestions about backup.

For now,  I just would like for you to do a Update run in Malwarebytes.

In Malwarebytes, click the Settings icon  and on the General tab, click on "Check for Updates"   and let it do its thing.

Next,

click Settings icon   and go to the Scanner tab  and then click the blue Scan button  and allow it to do a scan of the system.

Let me know what the result is.

On the Microsoft .Net Framework it is not clear what the issue is.   However, I would suggest the following

Let us try the .NET Framework Repair Tool from Microsoft:
 https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2698555/microsoft-net-framework-repair-tool-is-available

Just download it.   Save it.   Then run it.

Scan found & quarantined 268 items then suggested a reboot. I did a reboot and it repeated the suggestion immediately when restart was finished.

How do I access the log?

If you are seeing the summary display..... click on the View Report button, then   look close.  If you can see a tab "Advanced"   click on that.

You should now be seeing the last completed or attempted scan.

click the Export button and save the file as a Text file to your desktop or other location you can find and attach that log on your next reply.

Very good run.   You did well.  The majority of these were adwares  & lots of PUP.optional types.

Lets now do a follow on with the Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.   This has a more thorough scan for non-active adwares.

NOTE,  to Close all web browsers just before you press the next "SCAN" BUTTON.

I  would suggest to download, Save, and then run Malwarebytes ADWCLEANER.
Please close Chrome and all other open web browsers after you have saved the Adwcleaner and before you start Adwcleaner scan.
Adwcleaner  detects factory Preinstalled applications too! 

Please download  Malwarebytes AdwCleaner  https://downloads.malwarebytes.com/file/adwcleaner

Be sure to Save the file first, to your system.  Saving to the Downloads folder should be the default on your system.

Go to the folder where you saved Adwcleaner. Double click Adwcleaner  to start it.
At the prompt for license agreement, review and then click on I agree.

You will then see a main screen for Adwcleaner. ( if you do not see it right away, minimized the other open windows, so you can see Adwcleaner).
Then click on Dashboard button.
Click the blue button "Scan Now".

allow it a few minutes to finish the Scan.   Let it remove what it finds.
NOTE:  When it comes to the section "
Pre-installed applications

You can skip that.
Please find and send the Adwcleaner "C" clean report.
In Adwcleaner, click the "Reports" button.  Look at the list of reports for the latest date & type "Clean".
Double Click that line & it will open in Notepad.   Save the file to your system and then Attach that with your reply.

That C clean report will be the one with the most recent Date and time at folder  C:\AdwCleaner\Logs
Thanks.  Keep me advised.

Thank you for the report.  That is also a good cleanup.

I would like to have you do one other scan -  by a different source -  Microsoft - so we can have another check for viruses,  malware, or other threat.

They have a different scan engine & design.

The Microsoft Safety Scanner  is a free Microsoft stand-alone virus scanner that  can be used to scan for & remove malware or potentially unwanted software from a system. 
The download links & the how-to-run-the tool are at this link at Microsoft 
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/threat-protection/intelligence/safety-scanner-download 

Let me know the result of this.
The log is named MSERT.log  
the log will be at  %SYSTEMROOT%\debug\msert.log   which in most cases is
C:\Windows\debug\msert.log
Please attach that log with your reply.

The computer did a restart after the scan and this is the latest windows updates as well as the file you requested. 

WUpdates.png

msert.log

Thank you for the log-report from Microsoft Safety Scanner.   It found no infection.

How are things overall at this time ?

It occurred to me to ask, Why is this machine still on Windows 7 ?   Is there any reason to stick with Windows 7 ?

This machine can be upgraded for free at Microsoft for the Windows 10 operating system.   Microsoft does not push that out but a free upgrade is do-able.

I had made a note to point out to you that this pc has a very very old version of Java.  Java 6 update 23.    It poses a potential risk  since there have been many many security patches since then.

It is actually listed twice.   The pc would be safer without Java.

Java(TM) 6 Update 23 (64-bit) (HKLM\...\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F86416023FF}) (Version: 6.0.230 - Oracle)
Java(TM) 6 Update 23 (HKLM-x32\...\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F83216023FF}) (Version: 6.0.230 - Oracle)

My suggestion is to go into Windows Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs

and uninstall all Java.

[    2    ]

The pc has Google Chrome browser.   If you plan to continue to use it, I would urge you to install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard to help protect it.

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome. 
To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome, 

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

Then proceed with the setup. 

[   3   ]

While system is still on Windows 7, make it a point to not use the browser Internet Explorer !   The I E browser is at risk & is obsolete.

Lets get all your web browsers more secure. 
See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera. 
Scroll down to the tips section "How do I disable them".  

[   4   ]

I would suggest you consider installing the BRAVE browser.  It is more secure and also does a great job of blocking pesky advertising.  I use Brave all the time.

When you install it, it will copy passwords for sites from the Chrome into Brave, which makes transition easier.

Chrome is a beast to cleanup  and more prone to issues.  That is why I recommend Brave.

Here is their main link   https://brave.com/

If you do get Brave, then also get the Malwarebytes Browser Guard for it too.

Open this link in your BRAVE   browser: 
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/malwarebytes/ihcjicgdanjaechkgeegckofjjedodee

17 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Thank you for the log-report from Microsoft Safety Scanner.   It found no infection.

It occurred to me to ask, Why is this machine still on Windows 7 ?   Is there any reason to stick with Windows 7 ?

This machine can be upgraded for free at Microsoft for the Windows 10 operating system.   Microsoft does not push that out but a free upgrade is do-able.

I had made a note to point out to you that this pc has a very very old version of Java.  Java 6 update 23.    It poses a potential risk  since there have been many many security patches since then.

Java(TM) 6 Update 23 (64-bit) (HKLM\...\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F86416023FF}) (Version: 6.0.230 - Oracle)
Java(TM) 6 Update 23 (HKLM-x32\...\{26A24AE4-039D-4CA4-87B4-2F83216023FF}) (Version: 6.0.230 - Oracle)

My suggestion is to go into Windows Control Panel >> Add or Remove Programs

and uninstall all Java.

[    2    ]

The pc has Google Chrome browser.   If you plan to continue to use it, I would urge you to install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard to help protect it.

I suggest you install the Malwarebytes Browser guard for Chrome. 
To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Chrome, 

Open this link in your Chrome   browser: 

[   3   ]

While system is still on Windows 7, make it a point to not use the browser Internet Explorer !   The I E browser is at risk & is obsolete.

Lets get all your web browsers more secure. 
See this article on our Malwarebytes Blog
https://blog.malwarebytes.com/security-world/technology/2019/01/browser-push-notifications-feature-asking-abused/

You want to disable the ability of each web browser on this machine from being able to allow "push ads". That means Chrome, Firefox, or Edge browser (on Windows 10), or on Opera. 

[   4   ]

I would suggest you consider installing the BRAVE browser.  It is more secure and also does a great job of blocking pesky advertising.  I use Brave all the time.

When you install it, it will copy passwords for sites from the Chrome into Brave, which makes transition easier.

Chrome is a beast to cleanup  and more prone to issues.  That is why I recommend Brave.

Here is their main link   https://brave.com/

If you do get Brave, then also get the Malwarebytes Browser Guard for it too.

Open this link in your BRAVE   browser: 

I haven't done much so far, but things are definitely better. Before, programs such as adobe reader were crashing. Not any longer.

I was not aware of this. Something to consider. 

Consider it gone. 

I'll do that as well.

I'll try the Brave browser. 

Great info!

Following up on other out of date software that poses security risks.
Adobe released Version 32.0.0.321 of Adobe Flash Player for Windows  as of January 21.

This pc has
Adobe Flash Player 10 ActiveX (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe Flash Player ActiveX) (Version: 10.1.102.64 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)
Adobe Flash Player 10 Plugin (HKLM-x32\...\Adobe Flash Player Plugin) (Version: 10.2.159.1 - Adobe Systems Incorporated)

Checkout the SecurityGarden Blog post for how to check what you have & how to Upgrade to the latest
https://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2020/01/adobe-flash-player-update.html

You also need to get update for Adobe Acrobat Reader DC
See https://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2019/12/adobe-acrobat-dc-and-acrobat-reader-dc.html

Make a general bookmark on your system for the Security Garden Blog  & keep up with it each month, at least
https://securitygarden.blogspot.com/

I completed the Adobe install (looked to be the same for both Reader and Acrobat).

I’m experimenting with Brave as well.

We should probably delete all the files I ULd to this thread, shouldn’t we? I’m not a fan of having that info posted here.

I want to relay how impressed I am with the attention you folks have provided since I purchased your software! I will be sharing this by recommending you to others whenever the opportunity presents itself.

If there’s anything else I should do to secure my system and data, please advise.

Also, I'm happy to take a survey or offer high praise on Yelp etc.

Again, Thanks!

I am very happy to have helped you.  And glad to read you are giving Brave browser a try.   I find it more secure than Chrome.  And that it also does a very good job of keeping advertising out.

If you have not already done so, get the Malwarebytes Browser Guard on to Brave.

To get & install the Malwarebytes Browser Guard extension for Brave, 

It is not enough to just have a security program installed. Each pc user needs to practice daily safe computer and internet use. 

Best  practices & malware prevention: 
Follow best practices when browsing the Internet, especially on opening links coming from untrusted sources. 
First rule of internet safety: slow down & think before you "click". 

Never click links without first hovering your mouse over the link and seeing if it is going to an odd address ( one that does not fit or is odd looking or has typos). 

Free games & free programs are like "candy". We do not accept them from "strangers". 

Never open attachments that come with unexpected ( out of the blue ) email no matter how enticing. 
Never open attachments from the email itself. Do not double click in the email. Always Save first and then scan with antivirus program. 

Pay close attention when installing 3rd-party programs. It is important that you pay attention to the license agreements and installation screens when installing anything off of the Internet. If an installation screen offers you Custom or Advanced installation options, it is a good idea to select these as they will typically disclose what other 3rd party software will also be installed. 
Take great care in every stage of the process and every offer screen, and make sure you know what it is you're agreeing to before you click "Next". 

Use a Standard user account rather than an administrator-rights account when "surfing" the web. 
See more info on Corrine's SecurityGarden Blog http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_7.html 
Dont remove your current login. Just use the new Standard-user-level one for everyday use while on the internet. 

Do a Windows Update. 

Make certain that Automatic Updates is enabled. 
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq 

Keep your system and programs up to date. Several programs release security updates on a regular basis to patch vulnerabilities. Keeping your software patched up prevents attackers from being able to exploit them to drop malware. 

For other added tips, read "10 easy ways to prevent malware infection" 

To help cleanup on tools used:

Download "Delfix by Xplode" and save it to your desktop.

Or use the following if first link is down:

"Delfix link mirror"

If your security program alerts to Delfix either, accept the alert or turn your security off.

please right-click on Delfix  and choose run as administrator

Make Sure the following items are checked:

Remove disinfection tools <----- this will remove tools we may have used.

As to the previously uploaded reports,  I have set the posts to not be accessible  and set hidden.

All my best to you.

Sincerely,

Maurice

Already added the Mbytes extention to Brave and just did the delfix as instructed.

Thanks again!

That is great.  My very best to you.  I am now closing this topic.

Stay safe.

Sincerely,

Maurice