AdwCleaner special 7.4.1 build

jboursier

• Staff

Hello,

A specific AdwCleaner build is going to be put online for a brief moment with a specific onboarding flow that is not what AdwCleaner users have been familiar with in the past.

Rather than doing that without explanation, I wanted to openly share a few explanations and to keep this thread open to gather your input for this test with your feedbacks (either goods or bad!).

This is a test about an email-based onboarding. I want to emphasize that is is not a test for any future version of AdwCleaner. This is not something AdwCleaner's team has been considering to do during all those years and this is not changing today. This is a test for another upcoming Malwarebytes product, and your feedbacks will provide valuable guidance for the team in charge to take a decision. To emphasize again: AdwCleaner is just here used as a mean to drive this test, it is not the final target.

This test provides three different flows when starting AdwCleaner:

• No change, same than always.
  • Email required in order to use the software (here AdwCleaner),
  • Email optional in order to use the software (here AdwCleaner).

This test also doesn't collect any email address. Even if you enter yours, we don't send it anywhere. It isn't used, despite what is shown on the tests screens. We simply gather whether or not a valid email was entered, we don't collect the actual email.

This test will go live for between 5k to 10k users depending on the feedbacks, and then will be disabled and the normal AdwCleaner will resume.

I hope this provides some transparent explanations in advance for this upcoming test. Please let us know for all feedbacks and questions you may have regarding this initiative.

Thanks,

Edited by fr33tux

Considering the uproar with the email and the browser extensions, Do not think this going to make people happy no matter what future product or service it is for.

I personally am very restrictive on who or what gets my email address. Result? No unwanted email to look at and delete.

• Staff

Hello,

8 minutes ago, Firefox said:

It asked for email address and I provided one.  Ran the second time and it did not prompt for email address the second time, which may be the default if it know I already provided one.

Exactly, in order to minimize the disruption, we only show the test once per user. So if you have participated once on a specific machine you won't see it anymore.

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Considering the uproar with the email and the browser extensions, Do not think this going to make people happy no matter what future product or service it is for.

Thanks for this feedback! This is exactly what we're interested to get. Please keep them flowing in so that the right decision will be taken.

@fr33tux

Hello Jérôme:

I too have downloaded and ran the special build and submitted a valid email address.

While you have our attention, is their something else special you would like us to do with this special build?  Should we run it more frequently to glean more data?  Many of would be happy to comply.

My goodness!  Over 5,300 downloads in about one-half hour...

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

Hello @fr33tux:

I would like to renew the occasional request of others; if AdwCleaner is destined to remain the fine standalone utility it has matured to, then I would like to see a very capable CLI and a scheduler added for the same reasons others have submitted.

Thank you.

• Staff
3 hours ago, 1PW said:

Hello @fr33tux:

I would like to renew the occasional request of others; if AdwCleaner is destined to remain the fine standalone utility it has matured to, then I would like to see a very capable CLI and a scheduler added for the same reasons others have submitted.

Thank you.

Hello,

I completely agree (at least for the CLI, the scheduling may be best implemented using Windows capabilities directly). Overall we are working on what's next for AdwCleaner but its standalone nature is here to stay so new features will continue to be implemented for it.

Any other positive/negative feedback about the specific email flow? Keep going! 👍