Just updated to 3.9.23 and have issues

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't realize there was an update until I checked, but since I'm currently in High Sierra, I thought I should give it a try so self-updated from within the app.

Haven't attempted a reboot / re-login yet, but launching on my 2017 iMac is instantaneous.

I tried to upgrade in-app.
Malwarebytes immediately started in the usual way.
I tried to restart the machine and immediately after the login (using filevault) the Spinning Wait Cursor appeared. It was then started but the Mac was no longer usable (with every attempt to click something the Spinning Wait Cursor appeared until no more use was allowed) even after several forced restarts by holding down the power button.
I solved by starting in safe mode, using the UninstallMWB app, restarting normally and reinstalling version 3.8.17

My Mac is a MacBook Pro Mid 2012 with 10 Gb Ram (8 + 2) and SSD Kingston, running Mojave 10.14.6

I had never had such problems with any previous version.

I point out the problem also to @treed

The problem also exists when doing a clean installation of Malwarebytes

Please solve this problem

Thanks

Greetings

Edited by MAXBAR1
added new different attempt and macOS version

I can confirm:
with the APPBLOCK protection deactivated everything works correctly.
Pending resolution I go back to the old version to be better protected.
Excellent new quarantine: now you no longer need to open a Finder window, with the Quarantine folder, as on Windows.
When you can add web protection (I know you can't anticipate dates) it will be perfect.

@adas @treed

After a few hours when everything worked fine, I foolishly thought of restarting the Mac, and I even inserted a pendrive to make me a copy of the new Malwarebytes installer.
I never did that again. Everything went on the ball again and there was no solution, even after numerous forced shutdowns and / or reboot in safe-mode.
Now I write from the safe-mode and I will, while waiting for a solution, since I was not able to complete the DEBUG MODE for you, to uninstall the latest version and to install version 3.8.17.
Let me know when you will be led.

I HOPE SOMEONE SAYS TO HELP YOU BETTER THAN ME

Thanks and good job
Greetings

Edited by MAXBAR1
added sentence

As noted above ( post #4) I had serious problems booting my iMac up after yesterdays MB update.

Today Apple has issued a supplemental update for macOS 10.14.6.  This update requires a reboot.

Given the problem I  had with my iMac (per post #4 above) I do not feel secure doing this.

Can someone from Malwarebytes please give us all an update on a fix for the various problems we have encountered.

Thanks

3 hours ago, PaulBostock said:

Can someone from Malwarebytes please give us all an update on a fix for the various problems we have encountered.

@adas from Malwarebytes has done that in post #6 above. Did turning off "App Block:" not fix the problem for you?

Edited by alvarnell

I have not tried that because post #12 seems to refute post # 6.  I read post #12 saying there is still a problem after switching off the "App Block".

Plus I would think that Malwarebytes would be releasing a "official fix" in the very near future, which I would prefer to wait for.

I do not want to get into a situation where I cannot get my iMac rebooted.

Thanks for your help.

• Staff

We're still investigating this issue... so far, the folks on this topic are the only ones we're aware of seeing the problem, and we're not able to reproduce it here. We have a theory that it may be related to older hardware, but have tried on a variety of older Macs here and don't see these issues.

If you're able, please cooperate with any requests from adas so we can figure this out.

@treed @adas

I made some attempts, hoping to help you narrow down the problem, but not everything went as I had hoped.

Meanwhile I can give you almost for certain that the problem does not occur with the installation of version 3.9.32 but only after the first Reboot of the Mac after installation of MWB 3.9.32 (I've never had problems like this with any version of MWB (not even the beta that I've installed all since the first beta release at the time of macOS Sierra).

My attempt corresponded to:
1) Clean installation of Malwarebytes 3.9.32
2) Running MBST-Mac
3) Debug-ON execution
4) Enter Debug-OFF as the only app in the login elements
So far, so good

5) Reboot of the Mac
6) At startup, the Mac tried to run Debug-OFF automatically, but as soon as it clicked on the application button, the rainbow circular cursor came up, not even allowing you to enter the password.

At this point I could only
7) Reboot in Mac Safe-Mode
8) Run Uninstal_MWB
9) Reboot in Normal Mode of the Mac and then post it all

I'm sorry I couldn't do more

My system is
MacBook Pro 13 "Mid 2012 Non Retina Display (MacBookPro 9.2)
10 Gb Ram (installed since purchase)
KINGSTON SA400S37240G with trim enabled obviously APFS
macOS Mojave 10.14.6 with the last additional update released last night.

Bye

Edited by MAXBAR1

Thanks @treed for your update.  I just did what was suggested earlier in this topic & switched off App Block.

I then did a cold reboot with no problem.  It booted up as normal in  under a minute.

Since the MB update the only problem I have experienced was my iMac hanging during the boot process.

Once I got the iMac booted I experienced no further issues that I was aware of.

I am running a late 2015 iMac with macOS 10.14.6 & have a SSD.

I am also running the latest version of Adguard, the App not the browser extension.

Thanks

So feeling brave & with Ad Block off I just installed the latest macOS supplemental update with no apparent issues.

I noticed that on July 31 Apple released  updated Gatekeeper configuration data # 175

For me it seems that the boot issues I experienced may be tied into the App Block.

Thanks

Hi

Same problems. MacOS Mojave 10.14.6 crashes on startup with the latest version MB 3.9.23, even with full disk accessibility. After uninstalling MB, no frost ! with version 3.8 no problem.
Waiting for a fix. (Macbook Pro 13'' 2015).

With support fix: 3.9.24. Same problems.

Bye.

I opened a ticket with Malwarebytes on this problem last week

This afternoon I was provided with a new version of Malwarebytes for Mac:  3.9.24

It did not solve the issue for me.

I have just sent in a file to help malwarebytes diagnose the issue

So they are working on it.

In the mean time I keep App Block off, that is where the problem is. (At least with me)

Hello All:

No trouble has been experienced with Malwarebytes for Mac 3.9.23.2814 on a MacBookPro11,3 (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013) running macOS Mojave 10.14.6 (18G87) with all real-time protections turned on.

HTH