Can't Download .ZIP Files Attached to Replies

When I right-click on links for attached mbst-grab-results.zip in replies and choose "Save Link As..."  I download a ~ 55 KB file named attachment.php, and not the usual 1.4 MB mbst-grab-results.zip file.  I don't appear to have a problem saving attached images or .txt files.

Here's a sample mbst-grab-results.zip I created this morning:

mbst-grab-results.zip

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

3 minutes ago, exile360 said:

Are you able to download them if you left click on them instead?

Hi exile360:

I just tested and the ZIP file I attached <here> in this thread downloads correctly, but I can consistently reproduce the problem in the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum board.

Left-clicking on attached ZIP files in that board throws an error message (see image below).  I tested with mbst-grab-results.zip files I posted some of my own threads I started in the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum board and I can't download those ZIP files either.

Here's what I see, for example, when I left-click on the mbst-grab-results.zip attached in post # 3 of Amylopgamy's recent thread Malaware conflictiong with Norton and System shutdwon errors:

1877240614_MBForumDownloadZIPError.png.32bb521bfb80b457d2199bbccf505cf9.png

------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8

Yep, you're likely right about that.  It could be a borked setting or it could be a change in policy to prevent unauthorized individuals from downloading the logs that others provide in that area or something like that.  I can understand why if that's the case given potential concerns about privacy and all considering how much data those logs contain (though it's obviously typically nothing super personal, but still).

Edited by exile360

On 2/9/2019 at 4:23 PM, David H. Lipman said:

It is most likely an Access Privilege based restriction.

Just an FYI that user 3deal reported a similar error code: 2S119/1 in their thread Malwarebytes 3 Not Working with Win XP (No SSE2 Processor) when they tried to download the zipped file  Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip file attached in separate replies by both Malwarebytes employee Ried and Trusted Advisor Porthos.

I tried downloading the same Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip from their links and got my usual error code: 2C171/1 as shown in post # 3.

Has anyone confirmed this problem is caused by a restricted user permission for "standard" users?  I noticed that 3deal and I both have unsupported operating systems and/or 32-bit browsers, but I don't know why that would be relevant if I can still download .ZIP files attached to replies in this Forum Announcements & Feedback board and only see this error when downloading from the links in the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum board.
------------

@lmacri sorry for the issues you have been encountering here. The below should help get you all squared away.

The Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip attachment can be directly downloaded from our Box system here: https://malwarebytes.box.com/s/0fy8i5slox1z1pld8cq05dxglsfdpq82

As far as not being able to download log files goes, that is due to limited access rights/permissions as @exile360 and @David H. Lipman mentioned. Only authorized users groups (e.g. Staff, Experts, Trusted Advisors, etc.) and the original poster can download log attachments in applicable areas of the Forums.

16 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

...As far as not being able to download log files goes, that is due to limited access rights/permissions as @exile360 and @David H. Lipman mentioned. Only authorized users groups (e.g. Staff, Experts, Trusted Advisors, etc.) and the original poster can download log attachments in applicable areas of the Forums.

Hi AlexSmith:

Is this a new policy?  I've never had problems downloading .ZIP files from the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum board until recently, and as I mentioned in post # 3, I can no longer download my own mbst-grab-results.zip files I've attached in older threads where I'm the original poster.

Thanks for posting a alternate link to the Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip file, but I don't need that file.  I only mentioned this example in 3deal's thread Malwarebytes 3 Not Working with Win XP (No SSE2 Processor) because the Malwarebytes employess and Trusted Advisors posting in that thread had no idea why "standard" user 3deal was getting an error message when they tried to download that .ZIP file.

I'm not overly concerned if my .ZIP file download errors are due to an intentional policy change, but many of your own employees don't seem aware that "standard" users can't use the links they're posting for .ZIP files.
------------

5 minutes ago, lmacri said:

Is this a new policy?  I've never had problems downloading .ZIP files from the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum board until recently, and as I mentioned in post # 3, I can no longer download my own mbst-grab-results.zip files I've attached in older threads where I'm the original poster.

Thanks for posting a alternate link to the Malwarebytes_2.1.8_SSE2_Hotfix.zip file, but I don't need that file.  I only mentioned this example in 3deal's thread Malwarebytes 3 Not Working with Win XP (No SSE2 Processor) because the Malwarebytes employess and Trusted Advisors posting in that thread had no idea why "standard" user 3deal was getting an error message when they tried to download that .ZIP file.

I'm not overly concerned if my .ZIP file download errors are due to an intentional policy change, but many of your own employees don't seem aware that "standard" users can't use the links they're posting for .ZIP files.

Great questions. It is a recent change that applies to particular areas of the Forums where requests for support and logs commonly occur. I'll take a look at your example post, but that might be an oversight with permissions on the particular section you posted in. Are there other examples where you cannot download your own posted content?

As far as Malwarebytes Staff goes, we did inform them but like anything new it may take people a little bit of time to adjust to change. I'll make sure to follow up on the example you showed me.

@lmacri can you share any examples of the older threads where you could not download your old files? It's possible they have been archived/removed depending on what file they are, where it was posted, and how long ago. So far, the one posted in here was your OP, which you mentioned actually worked, and a thread where you were not the OP. I want to make sure we are aware of any issues where things aren't working properly. Especially if we need to get IPS (our Forums host) working on a fix for it.

Update on the thread you linked to where you said staff was not properly informed, I looked at it and the recent posts with a correct Box link actually came from our staff. The older links that did not work are from posts before this was in place. In any event, I am going through and updating that thread to prevent confusion going forward.

Edited by AlexSmith

46 minutes ago, AlexSmith said:

@lmacri can you hare any examples of the older threads where you could not download your old files? It's possible they have been archived/removed depending on what file they are, where it was posted, and how long ago..

Hi AlexSmith:

I see an error code 2S328/1 when I try to download the mbst-grab-results.zip file (posted 11-May-2018) I attached in post # 19 of my thread MB v3.2.2 - SystemTray Icon Missing After mbamtray.exe APPCRASH.

Sorry, but I couldn't find any newer examples of a mbst-grab-results.zip I posted in one of my own threads in the Malwarebytes 3 Support Forum board where I was the thread's original poster (OP).  I had to deactivate my MB Premium v3.5.1 license several months ago because of ongoing conflicts between the MB Web Protection / Self-Protection modules and my Norton real-time protection, and MB v3.5.1 is now in "maintenance mode" for Win XP and Vista (i.e., no further bug fixes for Component Package v1.0.365 are expected), so I rarely request assistance in this forum any more.
------------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.9.0 * Norton Security Deluxe v22.15.1.8 * MB Free v3.5.1.2522-1.0.365

@lmacri thanks for the additional example!!

I looked in to that thread and the Malwarebytes specific log files were archived/removed as part of general cleanup of old support log files that we recently started doing . So what you are experiencing is to be expected for a 200+ day old thread with some of the recent changes we have made around attachments and log files.

Hope that helps clarify things.