Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

On 19/10/2017 at 11:18 PM, need4spd said:

I just ran the FCU 1709 on Win 10 Pro with MWB Pro 3.2.2.2029 turned on (I forgot to turn off) and it installed fine on an older laptop (5 years old running up to date Win10).

However, Win 10 Defender Security Center is treating MWB Pro as the antivirus and Defender is no longer the primary anti-virus, and using MWB as the primary, which isn't what it did in the previous Creator's update

Anyone else having this issue, see image for snip of detail screen

Win 10 security center.JPG

Hi,

I faced this same issue on one computer. Simply go into MB's settings > application > Windows Notification Center and choose option 2 ("Never register ..."), reboot the computer. Again, go to the same settings and choose option 1 (recommended) and it should work : you should see Windows Defender registered as the AV on your machine.

Hope this helps ...   :) 

Edited by throkr
typo

I have updated to the FCU and am running the latest MB did not do an uninstall. The only issue I seem to be having is MB will no longer update on its own I receive a warning that the update did not complete. Once I reboot my system it seems to be find and the updates install.  Is this a known issue and do you recommend an uninstall/reinstall of MB to correct this issue?

I have the same issue this morning, MWP Pro was showing as the primary AV rather than as secondary real-time. This is not what I want, but I guess that's why MWB staff are not saying anything about this issue, they are probably very happy, FCU now places their software at a higher priority than WD, even if that creates a risk to the user.

Update: I deactivated MWB Pro and then re-activated it. Now it's treating WD correctly as primary AV.

There remains a serious potential issue for users though, of running 2 anti-exploit systems is going to cause problems, unless MWB Pro is designed to give priority to the AE funcionality in WD.

It could be considered negligent of MWB not have issued an advisory on whether MWB AE should be enabled or not after FCU is installed. They've had months to do so, but it seems from what people are saying here, users are being left on their own to decide. It's not OK to wait until there might be an issue and then try various scenarios, this is a core design issue, we need to know what the design parameters are for running MWB Pro alongside WD in FCU considering the nee EMET functions are now included. If I have missed any such guidelines, someone please post them, thank you.

Edited by AP2012

Now experiencing even worse issues, parts of the Windows 10 desktop locking up, Start button inoperable. This is AFTER disabling exploit protection on WD. Clearly MWB exploit protection is not compatible with W10 FCU (even with EMET switched off). What kind of testing did you guys do to miss this?

This is in addition to the problem of incorrect registration by MWB in the Windows 10 security settings, but it could be vice-versa. Anyway, the only way to fix this one is to uninstall and reinstall MWB again...but then the AE / EMET issues freeze the PC. What a pile!  The only way MWB can stay on the PC is if it is deregistered and stops being real-time, merely on-demand, the problems seem to go away.

Why do I have 3 paid private licenses of this product and was on the verge of approving a request for thousands of business licenses from my IT department? My business would be in meltdown at the moment if these same problems were replicated across it! You guys need to re-focus on testing, quality control and stability.

Edited by AP2012

5 hours ago, AP2012 said:

Now experiencing even worse issues, parts of the Windows 10 desktop locking up, Start button inoperable. This is AFTER disabling exploit protection on WD. Clearly MWB exploit protection is not compatible with W10 FCU (even with EMET switched off). What kind of testing did you guys do to miss this?

This is in addition to the problem of incorrect registration by MWB in the Windows 10 security settings, but it could be vice-versa. Anyway, the only way to fix this one is to uninstall and reinstall MWB again...but then the AE / EMET issues freeze the PC. What a pile!  The only way MWB can stay on the PC is if it is deregistered and stops being real-time, merely on-demand, the problems seem to go away.

Why do I have 3 paid private licenses of this product and was on the verge of approving a request for thousands of business licenses from my IT department? My business would be in meltdown at the moment if these same problems were replicated across it! You guys need to re-focus on testing, quality control and stability.

Not saying it's not MWB but others are experiencing the same Start button/other issues after FCU.

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/official-windows-10-rs3-fall-creators-update-build-16299-15.416866/page-21

I think you'll find others if you search the net.

Edited by boogeyman

Now running MWB in real-time with AE disabled, but with "EMET" now re-enabled on default settings, it's been stable for the past few hours, so Start button and other freezing issues (except the long-standing Office 2016 freezes which are an entirely separate matter altogether). It appears that the conflict is therefore with MWB AE and I saw in another post that this is being looked at by the devs.

My point is that FCU has been known about for months and such a severe incompatibility and lock-ups should not be happening, this is too fundamental.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh earlier, there's a lot of positives about this product, but I hope they focus more effort on testing. The way forward is definitely to have WD enabled plus a product like MWB hovering overhead like a hawk, ready to swoop down and deal with anything that slips through, in preference to any of those other security suites out there. Just hope MWB can keep getting it right.

I moved my life time subscriptions from desktops to my laptops. Laptops are used more so I can see problems faster. MB is fine, but there are other problems after the Creator's upgrade. I think we have to be able to separate 

problems with MB and what happened to Windows 10 itself. On four upgrades, I saw a message about "feature upgrades" on each upgrade. It all depends on what the "feature upgrades" broke.

• 2 months later...
On 10/20/2017 at 11:25 PM, throkr said:

Hi,

I faced this same issue on one computer. Simply go into MB's settings > application > Windows Notification Center and choose option 2 ("Never register ..."), reboot the computer. Again, go to the same settings and choose option 1 (recommended) and it should work : you should see Windows Defender registered as the AV on your machine.

Hope this helps ...   :) 

Thanks, this worked for a while but you have to be careful as there is no warning when Windows Defender will be turned off and MWB made the primary anti-virus.

What is the harm in changing the setting in MWB in Windows Action Center as "Never Register"  - See below from MWB explanation of this section.

Windows Action Center

You may have noticed a flag in your system tray that sometimes has a red icon with a white X appear over the flag. That is a status indicator for the Windows Action Center, which tells you when your computer has a security issue that needs your attention. Malwarebytes Premium or Malwarebytes Premium Trial can now be registered as a security solution on your computer. There are three settings available, which will be abbreviated here for easier reading. Brief descriptions for the meaning of each setting are also provided.

• Let Malwarebytes choose whether to register: Malwarebytes will determine whether it should be registered in Action Center. The program will not register when Microsoft Security Essentials is in use on a Windows 7 or older operating system. It will also not register when Windows Defender is used on a Windows 8 or newer OS.
  • Always register Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes program status will always appear in Action Center.
  • Never register Malwarebytes: Malwarebytes program status will never appear in Action Center.

I'm still getting the issues of Windows start button freezing, unresponsive applications, that I reported above, that's with AE disabled as well. The only remedy has been to either uninstall MWB or de-register the license, so it's clearly a MWB issue with active protection conflicting with the most recent version of Windows. I have 3 licenses and it's occuring on freshly re-stored  Windows 10 devices too.

4 hours ago, dcollins said:

@AP2012 If you go to Settings -> About, what component package version are you on? If it's not 262 or 273, please go to Settings -> Application and click "Check for application updates". Once the install is done, reboot and see if the issue still persists. IF it does, can you grab a new set of logs that I've outlined below?

I re-installed today with a fresh download and it's showing 262. Both AE and EMET are enabled on default settings, is this the recommended setting or should one of them be fully or partially disabled? WD is my main AV and MWB is set not to register in WAC. Thanks.

8 minutes ago, dcollins said:

@AP2012 are you saying after doing a clean install everything is working? Mutual exclusions shouldn't be necessary, but can't hurt

After about 8 hours of usage there have been no problems so far, but it's too early to tell since this is an intermittent issue.

I guess my question for AE and "EMET" should more precisely be - is MWB designed to work with the Windows 10 exploit protection fully enabled whilst it's own AE functions are also fully enabled? Should W10 exploit protection be switched off or does MWB know it's enabled and acts accordingly? There seems to be considerable scope for overlap and hence potential conflicts. Is there a recommended setting, officially or through user experience on the forum that you might be aware of ?

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, TarkusZ said:

None. Windows Defender is off.

Let's try and get some logs first so the team can review them and see if they can tell what may be causing your issues....

1. FIRST: Create and obtain Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs
  2. Download FRST and save it to your desktop. Tell any program that blocks it to ignore or allow. It IS SAFE. It contains no info that can identify or harm you.
  3. NOTE: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  4. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
  5. Press the "Scan" button
  6. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    NOTE: These two files will be collected by the MB-Check Tool and added to the zip file for you
  7. NEXT: Create and obtain an mb-check log
  8. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
  9. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, then click "OK"
  10. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
  11. Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

On 12/28/2017 at 11:54 PM, AP2012 said:

After about 8 hours of usage there have been no problems so far, but it's too early to tell since this is an intermittent issue.

I guess my question for AE and "EMET" should more precisely be - is MWB designed to work with the Windows 10 exploit protection fully enabled whilst it's own AE functions are also fully enabled? Should W10 exploit protection be switched off or does MWB know it's enabled and acts accordingly? There seems to be considerable scope for overlap and hence potential conflicts. Is there a recommended setting, officially or through user experience on the forum that you might be aware of ? Thanks.

It's back. The only way of controlling this appears to be turning off all realtime protection on MWB. This is happening on 3 different Windows 10 systems. I doubt that I can be alone in experiencing this. It happens when WD is the main AV and MWB as secondary, and deliberately not registering in the Action Centre because of the well-known issues a couple of months ago. The issue might be with W10 FCU but MWB need to make their product completely compatible with the OS without the user having to tweak, exempt, work-around etc.

In order to get adequate all-round protection I've had to revert to using a previous license of Norton IS unfortunately, but at least it is very stable, in fact absolutely no issues.

Edited by AP2012