[RESOLVED] Possibility to "enlarge" the forum cover zone?

Aura

I think I mentionned it to @msherwood, I forgot, but is it possible to "enlarge" the forum cover zone? Basically, this:

JqiWQLk.png

A lot of space is wasted and it makes it really, really harder to read logs (mostly FRST logs, but others as well) in the Malware Removal sections... At this point I would just ask every user to attach their logs instead so I can read them in Notepad++. I know some forum software have a plugin and/or built-in option to enlarge that zone and adjust it to your preference, not sure about IPS4.

Edited by Aura

• Administrators

You did! We looked at this during the initial move to IPS 4 but opted to not do it as we wanted to keep as many variables set to default as possible so we could better learn the new software.

There's a built-in setting to expand the layout but that didn't quite meet our needs when we last looked at it. We'll look at this again and report back.

cc @AlexSmith

Please do look at at again as I have pointed this out before.

The inability to scale and proportion to the Browser window and the platform's resolution degrades the quality of this forum greatly.  I have demonstrated its deficiencies in videos and I have exampled it with Forum comparison graphics.

Here we are 7 months into this forum's new version venture and the use of the Forum software is still very painful.

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, Firefox said:

This includes the layout when in a PM, you do not get so see all options unless you stretch out you window across several screens. So annoying when you need to use one of the menu items.

Are you talking about the toolbar? That's a different setting in the ACP and they use the concept of small, medium and large (toolbars). It's also an all-or-none setting where if you adjust the "small" toolbar it affects all aspects using the small toolbar (e.g. mobile editor for post replying, PMs in full view).

The challenge is the PM toolbar forces a smaller bar even though it might not need to do so. When we last looked at this (also around the v4 update), we could not adjust it. We'll look at this again.

On 21/10/2016 at 6:30 PM, msherwood said:

You did! We looked at this during the initial move to IPS 4 but opted to not do it as we wanted to keep as many variables set to default as possible so we could better learn the new software.

There's a built-in setting to expand the layout but that didn't quite meet our needs when we last looked at it. We'll look at this again and report back.

cc @AlexSmith

How can you remember everything I tell you. I tell you so much random stuff sometimes :P 

And please look at it again. It's a bit of a pain for the helpers in that section (I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that).

1 hour ago, Firefox said:

Like in the image below, other forums, if you adjust your window the toolbar adjusts...

pm window.jpg

I demonstrated this 6 months ago on 4/28/'16.

Fighting The Editor E6.wmv

We have been bringing it up since March.

AlexSmith:

That is an improvement overall on scaling and proportionality.  Thank you.

However the PM Editor still suffers from an inability to properly wrap the toolbar.

Demonstration.wmv

Edited by David H. Lipman

31 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

AlexSmith:

That is an improvement overall on scaling and proportionality.  Thank you.

However the PM Editor still suffers from an inability to properly wrap the toolbar.

Demonstration.wmv

As Sherwood mentioned, this is a separate setting and does not apply to the Theme. Unfortunately, it's the odd behavior of how the Toolbar/Editor works. There are 3 sizes we have the ability to customize the layout for: Large, Medium, and Small. They switch out on the fly as the real-estate for the window/toolbar changes.

With that being said, are you suggesting we enable all buttons to appear in all sizes? This would also carry over to mobile device viewing too since there is no separate mobile device layout for the Editor/Toolbar. Mobile devices will usually use the Small layout for default portrait viewing and the Medium layout for landscape viewing.

Edited by AlexSmith

" With that being said, are you suggesting we enable all buttons to appear in all sizes? "

I frankly don't know what that means or entails.

As for mobil devices...

I don't care about them.  It is the user's fault for using an inappropriate device for accessing the forum.  The Forum should NOT have to conform to every device, every platform and every appliance.  The Forum Member needs to conform to the Forum requirements which should be based upon Mozilla FireFox, Microsoft IE, Opera and Apple Safari Browsers,  I can see it now.  The forum software becomes so far out-of-whack because it tries to conform to the simplistic Browser on a Samsung or Toshiba Smart TV.

However...  The forum software should be able to compensate for the device and software based upon the User-Agent.  If the Forum software is unable to alter how it is shown on a device based based upon the User-Agent then the device usage is inappropriate and contraindicated.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and grammar

3 hours ago, David H. Lipman said:

" With that being said, are you suggesting we enable all buttons to appear in all sizes? "

I frankly don't know what that means or entails.

As I stated and Sherwood stated, we have three size options for the editor toolbar. Small, Medium, and Large. We can customize what buttons show up when the toolbar resizes to Small, Medium, or Large. I am asking if what you are looking for is for ever possible button to appear in every possible size configuration.

As for mobil devices...

I don't care about them.  It is the user's fault for using an inappropriate device for accessing the forum.  The Forum should NOT have to conform to every device, every platform and every appliance.  The Forum Member needs to conform to the Forum requirements which should be based upon Mozilla FireFox, Microsoft IE, Opera and Apple Safari Browsers,  I can see it now.  The forum software becomes so far out-of-whack because it tries to conform to the simplistic Browser on a Samsung or Toshiba Smart TV.

That's an interesting point of view. Not sure I would personally agree with it.

However...  The forum software should be able to compensate for the device and software based upon the User-Agent.  If the Forum software is unable to alter how it is shown on a device based based upon the User-Agent then the device usage is inappropriate and contraindicated.

The forums does support mobile devices and alters accordingly. We are however still limited by the customization options that are available.

" As I stated and Sherwood stated, we have three size options for the editor toolbar. Small, Medium, and Large. We can customize what buttons show up when the toolbar resizes to Small, Medium, or Large. I am asking if what you are looking for is for ever possible button to appear in every possible size configuration. "

Dank je.

I can see that would be best served as a User Option/Preference in one's profile. 

• celee changed the title to [RESOLVED] Possibility to "enlarge" the forum cover zone?