MBAM Replacement

I personally do not know any kind of replacemant for MBAM.

I would replace SAS with MBAM.

This opinion comes only from my own experience since I am involved into the Malware Removal Family and not because I am listed as an Expert here. 

I personally do not know any kind of replacemant for MBAM.

I would replace SAS with MBAM.

This opinion comes only from my own experience since I am involved into the Malware Removal Family and not because I am listed as an Expert here.

hi and thank you for your reply which was very much as expected. That said, since my MBAM will not auto update and I dont have the skill to make it do so, it has to go.

To the people HERE there is NO replacement.

Well said Porthos! I have had great faith in MBAM from the moment a knowledgeable contributor to another forum recommended it to me many years ago. That said, for the past few months I've had to update the program manually and this has become quite a chore, hence the desire to replace it.

Hi:

You wrote:

But there must be guys (or gals) out there who operate computers and yet do not have MBAM installed.

Yes, there probably are.

But it's unlikely such users would frequent the computer forum owned and operated by Malwarebytes to support its products, its customers/users and other individuals who need malware assistance.

There are many general computer help forums unaffiliated with Malwarebytes or another security software vendor where you might research alternative anti-malware applications.

That said, for the past few months I've had to update the program manually and this has become quite a chore, hence the desire to replace it.

I'm sure you are frustrated.

I would be, too.

Looking through your recent topics, however, "failure to update" does not seem to have been the problem, at least from the topic titles and bulk of the posts.  IOW, it seems to us here at the forum to be a "new" problem.

There are many possible reasons for updating problems (hardware problems, software conflicts (especially AV and firewall), corrupt MBAM installation, incorrect MBAM scheduler settings, computer power management settings, malware infection, etc).

As always, the forum staff, experts and volunteers would be more than happy to assist you. :)

But we would need some basic system info in order to do that.

If you would like help here in the forum with the updating issue, please read and follow the steps here: Diagnostic Logs

>>>NOTE: Since you have run FRST on this computer previously, please be sure to place a check-mark in the option for "Addition.txt" before you run it.

Then, please post back with all 3 diagnostic logs ATTACHED to your next reply (FRST.txt, Addition.txt, CheckResults.txt).

Or, you may wish to open a ticket at the help desk here for free, one-on-one email assistance: Contact Consumer Support

Thank you,

To the original question -- I've looked but haven't found one.............thank you if you looked on my behalf!

Your post count evidences an experienced user..................Never judge a book by its cover! Despite having used a computer for around 10 years, I have never progressed beyond  the very basics. If I had, then I could have had an attempt at sorting out my MBAM problem.

If you have constructive comments, positive or negative, I suggest to you or anyone else, post them in the comments sub-forum or via PM. ................I have no constructive comments, positive or negative. What I do have is a need for a program to replace my MBAM, and that is the purpose of this thread.

Go for it.....................Go for what???? 

By starting a thread here it looks* as if you're 'poking the eye'................That was never my intention. 

I've managed to respectfully voice (in multiple ways within the proper context) disagreements with MB on this forum without getting my head bitten off. .....................But why would they bite your head off?  Your opinion really does matter.

I knew/know that picking a fight with the house is a waste of time, and, that it's disruptive to the users who are receiving and giving help.............If you are implying that the reason behind my raising this thread was to pick a fight then you're backing up the wrong tree. I have a paid-for MBAM which will not update automatically, and since I don't have the skill to follow instructions from experts to correct the fault, I have no alternative other than to replace it. And regardless of my post count, I have no idea what to replace it with.

I'm just offering a suggestion because if you have ideas to better the product it's in my best interest that you properly air them. .............With my state of knowledge regarding computing in general and MBAM in particular, If I had ideas to better the product, I would make a self-referral to a psychiatrist.

Shrugged, given your own post count and the fact that you state that you have "managed to respectfully voice (in multiple ways within the proper context) disagreements" followed by, "if you have ideas to better the product it's in my best interest that you properly air them", can I take it that you are now speaking from an official position?

Thank you for the logs.

I will defer to the staff to advise as to how to proceed.

Additional info that might help to point to the cause:

1. What  exact problem/error message or notification informs you that your automatic updating is not happening on schedule?

2. Can you please post a protection log for a day where the scheduled updating is not occurring?

Open the main dashboard (either from the system tray icon or the desktop shortcut icon) > History > Application Logs.

Then, double-click one of the protection logs to be able to view it.

Click the copy to clipboard button.

Click OK to exit out of that window.

In your next reply here, in the message window where you type your reply, RIGHT-click > select paste from the menu.

You should now see the protection log in the reply window.

Thank you very much,

1. What  exact problem/error message or notification informs you that your automatic updating is not happening on schedule?

This:

MBAMFault_zps5d9f0949.jpg

appears every time I boot or go back to the already booted computer after a few hours. The same warning sign also appears on the MBAM icon in the tray(?) beside the time when I boot the computer. In both cases, I click on 'update' in the MBAM window and the warning disappears.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 07/09/2014

Scan Time: 13:19:57

Logfile: 

Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.2.1012

Malware Database: v2014.09.07.01

Rootkit Database: v2014.08.21.01

License: Trial

Malware Protection: Enabled

Malicious Website Protection: Enabled

Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64

File System: NTFS

User: Bobs

Scan Type: Threat Scan

Result: Completed

Objects Scanned: 289620

Time Elapsed: 10 min, 49 sec

Memory: Enabled

Startup: Enabled

Filesystem: Enabled

Archives: Enabled

Rootkits: Disabled

Heuristics: Enabled

PUP: Enabled

PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

I hope that the following is what you require.

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

OK, thanks.

FWIW, what you just posted is a SCAN log. :)

In order to see what's happening under the hood with scheduled updates, we need to see a PROTECTION log from a day when the updates are not occurring.

>>>ALSO: Just checking :

Are your system date and time correct (the clock in the lower right corner of the display)?

Are you in UK or somewhere else NOT in the U.S.?

In any event, please be patient and wait for one of the staff members to review your logs and posted data.

Thanks,

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

www.malwarebytes.org

Update, 07/09/2014 00:53:33, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Manual, Malware Database, 2014.9.6.1, 2014.9.6.8, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 00:53:34, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 00:53:34, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 00:53:34, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 00:53:40, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Success, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 00:53:40, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 00:53:41, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:19:07, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:19:07, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malware Protection, Started, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:19:07, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:19:22, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started, 

Update, 07/09/2014 13:19:55, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Scheduler, Malware Database, 2014.9.6.8, 2014.9.7.1, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:19:57, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:19:57, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:19:57, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:20:03, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Success, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:20:03, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 13:20:04, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started, 

Update, 07/09/2014 14:50:09, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Scheduler, Malware Database, 2014.9.7.1, 2014.9.7.2, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 14:50:10, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 14:50:10, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 14:50:11, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 14:50:32, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Success, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 14:50:32, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 14:50:34, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started, 

Update, 07/09/2014 23:17:10, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Manual, Malware Database, 2014.9.7.2, 2014.9.7.7, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 23:17:13, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 23:17:13, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopping, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 23:17:13, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Stopped, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 23:17:39, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Refresh, Success, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 23:17:39, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Starting, 

Protection, 07/09/2014 23:17:39, SYSTEM, BOBS-PC, Protection, Malicious Website Protection, Started, 

(end)

• Root Admin

The logs indicate that you still have an old element of Symantec Antivirus running on the system.
I would recommend you download this File and run it and have it remove all traces of leftover Norton/Symantec antivirus.

Then you have a couple of other minor issues in the logs that would indicate some possible minor infections so I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

We don't do malware removal in this forum but one of the Experts will be glad to help you in the forum listed above.

Thank you