Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.0.2

Hi:

I have the paid version of Malwarebytes.  I installed the update, it created a desktop icon, I don't want or use desktop icons so attempted to delete it but was unable to without administrative permission.  The thing is I am the admin and am logged in as the admin.  I am about to uninstall Malwaerbytes entirely If that is what it takes to get rid of the desktop icon.  What do you have to do other then uninstalling to fix this?

It sounds as if you have MBAM 2.0 Self-Protection enabled?

If so, it will prevent moving/removing or renaming the desktop shortcut icon.

So, from the dashboard > Settings > Advanced Settings > Advanced Options, just disable it and you should be good to go.

Thanks,

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you daledoc1 that worked.  It must set Self-Protection by default as I have not changed anything in the past.  I set it back on Self-Protection after deleting the icon so things are still default.  I just can't stand cluttered desktops.  I use to do in home tech and repairs on peoples computers and it drove me nuts when their desktops were covered, sometimes entirely, with icons.  They would have double, triple icons for the same thing like word documents or pictures, icons for programs they had not used in years, you name it.  You have to wonder if their garages and basements look the same.

Hi:

Glad that worked. :)

Nope, SP is NOT enabled by default in version 2 (at least partially for the reason that you found when you tried to move the shortcut icon).

And it was not even available in 1.75.

So, at some point, you might have enabled it without realizing it? ;)

It's not entirely necessary to keep it enabled -- if you do, please just remember to disable it before uninstalling/reinstalling MBAM or installing some of the other software products, such as MBSB.

Cheers,

I use MBAM Free and when I went to update it today, it asked me if I wanted to upgrade to 2.0.2.1012 and I said yes and it went ahead and downloaded and installed it with absolutely no problem.  I LOVE MBAM!!!  It always just WORKS!!

A poster above mentioned not liking a cluttered desktop and neither do I.  What I do is make a "maintenance" folder and put all of my security type shortcuts into it.  Cuts down on the clutter.

This forum is always so very cordial (not to mention helpful) and I appreciate that.

................Thais

• 2 weeks later...

malwer bites corp the new version of malwarbites always corrp  I delete al the registry and fix the error and I install it again and work fine for 5 days and the corrups again

here is the error   MBAM.EXE -APPLICATION ERROR

THE EXCEPTION UNKNOW SOFTWARE EXCEPTION (0X40000015) OCCURRD IN  THE APPLICATION AT LOCATION 0X6C52D6FD.

CLICK ON OK TO TERMINATE THE PROGRAM

CLICK ON CANCELTO DEBUG THE PROGRAM

I JUST TRY TO START MALWAREBITES AND GET THIS ERROR AND DONT START

I HAVE WINDOWS 8.1 I DONT KNOW WHY THIS PROGRAM CORRUP ALL THE TIME

PLEASE FIX THIS ERROR ASAP AND THANK YOU

Help Please

I finally decided to stop using the free version and I paid for the program. it will not open, it  pops up a run time error and refuses to open the program. Who can help me with this or if this is a permanent issue can i kindly get a refund. I have sworn by this product for years and in the last week all it has done is give me problems. I am not that computer savvy that I know why these run time errors are happening I have uninstalled it and re-installed 5 times now all with the same run time error issue...

Help

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi:

I hope when the next version (FREE) comes out the Quick scan is back. I do not like the current version for this reason. The scan available now is anyting but quick. A good product otherwise.

Quick scan in version 1 is now Threat scan in version 2.  More info about the scan types is >>HERE<<.

But version 2 is more powerful and scans more places than version 1.

So, slightly longer scan times are normal and nothing to worry about.

Having said that, multiple factors contribute to scan times.
These include:
Size of disk
Disk type
Disk speed
Disk caching
CPU speed
Controller type and speed
Operating System used
Amount of files (including temp files!)
Amount of folders
Amount of archived files such as zip, rar, sfx, etc. (if this is enabled)
Rootkit scan or not (if this is enabled)
PUM/PUP scans
Other security programs running at the same time that may potentially be monitoring all file accesses by any other process.
Drive integrity - if a drive is failing it can take a long time to ignore and bypass sectors on a disk or simply fail period and hang the scan.
Other ongoing disk I/O processes
System being infected can also affect speed of scans
Also note that changes in the MBAM database can also cause scan times to increase or decrease, so that's another factor to consider.
Sometimes a conflict with your antivirus may be possible as well. You may want to try adding exclusions in your AV - the files that need to be excluded can be found HERE. Let us know if you need more help with that.

Next, sometimes slowdowns are not due to conflicts between MBAM and the AV, per se, but rather to older hardware, insufficient RAM, cluttered disks, excessively tight security settings, bad disk sectors, or other factors.  You might want to have a look at this FAQ article >>HERE<< to see if the steps there resolve your issue.

Next, you might want to disable both archive and rootkit scanning, to see if that improves things -- let us know if you need help changing those settings.

If you are still experiencing problems after that, then please start a new topic in the MBAM support section >>HERE<<.

We will be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Threat scan is taking about 26 minutes on my 500GB not quiet 1/3 full dsik. This is anything but quick. I want a scan that takes no more than 6 to 7 minutes as it did before the release of this new version. Spin it all you want, but this flat sucks IMO.

Thanks.

Wildman

Hello wildman:

Do you have: Dashboard > Settings > Detection and Protection > "Scan for rootkits" and "Scan within archives" checked?

Also subsequent scans will conclude in lesser time compared to the first/initial Threat Scan.

Thank you.

@wildman:

This has nothing to do with "spin" -- just facts about how MBAM works. :)

I'm just another home user, not a member of the dev team or staff.  So I don't have any agenda to spin anything -- I am only trying to help..

(Scheduled, clean scans run silently and unobtrusively in the background. So I don't really understand why some users are obsessed with scan times.)

Having said that.........
You haven't mentioned what version you are running, but I assume it is the latest build (2.0.2.1012)?

Have you tried disabling anti-rootkit and arichive scanning, as both 1PW and I suggested?

Have you tried clearing temp files?

Have you tried to mitigate any of the variables listed in my earlier reply?

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps suggested in my previous reply, such as setting mutual exclusion between your AV and MBAM, running a chkdsk, etc?

The staff will be more than happy to assist you.

However, as this is not an appropriate sub-forum for support (it's a "News" thread and doesn't permit attachments), I would suggest that you might please consider starting a new topic in the MBAM support section >>HERE<<.

Thanks,

I already posted most of this but I can verify that on three different machines my scheduled scans in v2.0 most certainly take longer than the equivalent scan in v1.75.  Whether this is due to v2.0 being more "thorough" or a real problem with the program I do not know.

On a bare bones basically new Win 8.1 computer my daily scheduled Threat scan takes11-13  minutes with an occasional scan time of >20 minutes.  It is scanning roughly 270k items.  The Quick scan in v1.75 used to take 3 minutes.

On my Win 7 computer the daily Threat scan takes 10-12 minutes even though it is scanning almost 330K items.  So the amount of scanned items isn't changing the scan time.  But again, the Quick scan in v1.75 on this machine used to take 3 minutes or so.

And even more confusing/concerning is that on all three machines a scheduled Hyper scan will take as long or longer than the Threat scan.  The equivalent Flash scan in v1.75 used to complete in seconds where scheduled Hyper scans takes 10-20 minutes.

If I manually run a scan (Threat or Hyper) immediately after my daily scheduled scan has run the scans will complete much faster due to caching.  But like most Premium users I use scheduled scans and IMO they take way too long to complete.

Hi, @bru:

I know that every computer is unique and "works for me" is not a satisfactory response to a user reporting trouble with a program.

Moreover, I don't fully grasp why 3 minutes vs. 10 minutes really matters.

But FWIW my Threat scans (with anti-rootkit (ARK) enabled) only take a minute or two longer than my Quick scans under version 1.75 with no ARK option.

So there might be something specific about your systems that underlies the behavior you report.

As this is the NEWS thread, we cannot do any intensive troubleshooting.

So I respectfully suggest that you might want to start a new topic in the MBAM Support section >>HERE<<.

The staff and experts will be happy to work with you.

Thanks,

@daledoc1

I'm pretty sure there is nothing to troubleshoot.  v2.0 is working as it should in terms of scheduled scan times. Its just not like how I expected. The definition of Threat scan implies it should be fairly quick.   And a Hyper scan should be very fast.  Neither work that way for me.

I understand about systems being unique etc. so its hard to compare one users experience to another but experiencing longer scan times on three different systems including a basically out of the box Win 8.1 shows me that scan times are longer (sometimes much longer) in v2.0 than they were in 1.75.  Others seem to corroborate this.

Hi, bru & others reporting the longer scan times:

It's certainly your prerogative if slightly longer scan times are that much of an issue.

But repeated, generic posts about the program's being "too slow" and "doesn't work" don't help you, and they certainly don't help the product team to diagnose and fix anything that might need fixing.

I, too, am only a home user.

I assume, however, that the product team and QA team would like very much to improve the product wherever possible.

Doing so would require basic data (diagnostic logs and other system info) and a user willing to work with the team, either in the forum support section or at the help desk.

Otherwise, such non-specific complaints are only, well.....................you know, complaints. :unsure:

Cheers,

P.S. This is actually the NEWS/Announcements thread. There is a "Comments and Suggestions" area for MBAM >>here<<.

Okay because I have liked this program for a good long time I will dowbload and install it once again. I keep a very clean machine and do not have any clutter on it. I do all that has been previously suggested on a weekly bases and some times even more often than that.

Thanks.

Wildman

this new verion still crashing   and dont start up no mater what you do          i can delete all registry formthi program and the same fix all that 

and error sdk scan   and rookit protection corrups 

and ome other stuff not work well pleae fix that 

thank you