McAfee Registry Cleaner

AdvancedSetup

Yep, just got the (spammy) email about this today.

(Despite having unsubscribed many times, I must still be on some McAfee mailing list because of the OEM McAfee junk on my <branded> computers.)

So many software vendors have jumped into the snake oil sales market these days -- I see similar email offers from WinZip & several others (all of which are summarily deleted off the mail servers without even so much as a message download, let alone a "click" on a link).

As McAfee is a division of Intel, it will be even MORE difficult to dissuade users from using "Registry Cleaners" as they will give all the products an air of legitimacy.

This was not expected when I learned Intel bought Mcafee.  I expected embedded anti malware constructs in microcontrollers, programmable array logic and programable logic controllers.  Not crapware.

post-14644-0-82450300-1372380503_thumb.g   post-14644-0-56536400-1372380517.gif

in the hands of the unknowing and those of very limited technical prowess , those registry cleaners are about as hazardous as warm nitroglycerin .

i wonder how many "my comp puked after (ab)using your product" support calls they are going to get ?

i hope they embedded a non-changeable place to automatically stash the registry back-ups (by default , no asking involved) .

This was not expected when I learned Intel bought Mcafee.  I expected embedded anti malware constructs in microcontrollers, programmable array logic and programable logic controllers.  Not crapware.

This is somewhat obscene, however considering my personal feeling regarding McAfee I find it to be quite humorous (No, I'm NOT using the MEDIA tags, because this video really is somewhat obscene, and I don't want people to be offended because they clicked without reading this ):

Seriously though, it's McAfee, what did you expect? :P

read in a john cleese/monty python "response protest letter from a viewer" voice :

i wish to protest in the strongest of terms .

you are correct ... that video could be construed as offensive and in very poor taste . :o

i found that cut to the toe-sucking scene to have no redeeming qualities even in the light of "artistic expressionism" .

it is the epitome of an utterly disgusting example of perversion .  :blink:<_<

because of this my constitution and my appetite have been ruined for an as of yet indeterminate amount of time .

most sincerely ,

CWB

lower mosquito bog on lake plantagenet

nork , mn. 56666

:lol::P;)

Yep, just got the (spammy) email about this today.

(Despite having unsubscribed many times, I must still be on some McAfee mailing list because of the OEM McAfee junk on my <branded> computers.)

So many software vendors have jumped into the snake oil sales market these days -- I see similar email offers from WinZip & several others (all of which are summarily deleted off the mail servers without even so much as a message download, let alone a "click" on a link).

I've had issues with unsubscribing from AOL's crappy tech offers which keeps sending me registry cleaning junk. Ended up sending it to spam.

Winzip is spamware. One reason why I switched to 7-Zip and won't ever go back. The standard edition is littered with features that pop up and ask you to purchase the professional edition including a registry cleaning option.

Reading this topic I was trying to recall which other respected companies have gone down this road. I can remember Norton 'Win Doctor' and of course 'Registry Mechanic' although I'm not sure PC Tools were ever respected. I recently came across Avira Registry Cleaner, alas it turned out to be a tool for cleaning out their keys. I'm certain that AVG do something as well.  

there was the old "norton system works" that was around before symantec got their fingers into it :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_SystemWorks

i first became acquainted with it in 2000 and used it on W95 and W98/2 systems .

the registry cleaner that it had would puke a machine if you were not extremely careful .

there was also a "redundant file and dll finder" ... wheeeee !!! now that one would really mess up a machine !

I believe that's because Norton bought Golden Bow utilities.  It was Golden Bow's utilities that made Norton Utilities a good set.

And while the average person talks down McAfee AV, they have no idea about HBSS because they only know the retail products and not their enterprise products.

Reading this topic I was trying to recall which other respected companies have gone down this road. I can remember Norton 'Win Doctor' and of course 'Registry Mechanic' although I'm not sure PC Tools were ever respected. I recently came across Avira Registry Cleaner, alas it turned out to be a tool for cleaning out their keys. I'm certain that AVG do something as well.  

I remember COMODO's registry cleaner jacking up my grandmother's computer. I had to revert to a backup to fix it, because it wouldn't boot without a BSoD. That was a long time ago, but it caused me to call into question the safety of registry cleaners. Today I don't trust any of them.

And while the average person talks down McAfee AV, they have no idea about HBSS because they only know the retail products and not their enterprise products.

Not all of us. :P

I sadly bought/used Registry Mechanic about 4 yrs ago now?... UGH never again anything like that ever!

Oh it was so lovely!  It broke a bunch of programs (thankfully I didn't really use any of them) so obnoxious error messages kept popping up.  I'd uninstall one, reboot, and another error about another program would pop up, and so on... I wasted nearly an entire day when I was off of work fixing it!  Someone here on the forum helped me out too, and I actually ended up downloading a piece of Microsoft software (that is no longer available from what I understand) and that finished up fixing the mess.

Lesson learned!

i cant blame you for freaking out after all if a user pc can't boot or they are getting ransomed by malware this will for most people the 1st thing when any of this happens to them they freaking out and most likely don't know what to after but when the user clams down then they can get anyone that is good at remove malware to come to their house to fix it hopefully unless the person is a scam artist then your nightmares gets worse but luckily there are many good people in the world so the likelihood of that happening is rare