MVPS Hosts and HostsMan

greyowl

Thanks for the information. So, there are no drawbacks?

Nope, none that I can think of, at least as long as you follow its recommendation to disable the DNS Client service (which it will do automatically during install as long as you allow it to). It works great for blocking ads too, not just malware.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend a HOSTS file alone for blocking malicious sites. The Website Blocking component in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is still very effective and I see it block sites all the time that my HOSTS file does not.

Thanks again.  Do you use the MVPS hosts or do you recommend another.  

In terms of procedure, would I install the MVPS Hosts first (do I just click on the file and it installs.  Then the HostMan and Hosts Server component.

I am a novice.

BTW--The Post button isn't working at the bottom of the page--I have to go to MoreReplyOptions to get it to post.

They can definitely improve security of browsing as well as speed, particularly if you use the HostsServer component (which is now a separate install).

Actually the use a large etc/hosts file can degrade speed as it takes an inordinate amount of time, as a function of its size, to load the table and find an entry for every name resolution the browser (or other TCP/IP compliant application) has to perform. Browsers suffer more because many web pages load numerous URLs requiring many lookups to complete the page loading.

Resolution negation was never the intent of the etc/hosts file as it was designed in NFS and the TCP/IP stack for resolution in situations where there was a lack of Domain Name services.

Thanks again.  Do you use the MVPS hosts or do you recommend another.  

In terms of procedure, would I install the MVPS Hosts first (do I just click on the file and it installs.  Then the HostMan and Hosts Server component.

I am a novice.

I use several. I'm running HostsMan which uses MVPS, Chameleon Ads, HPHosts, Malware Domain List and more. Just install HostsMan, it installs the HOSTS files (including MVPS) for you :).

Actually the use a large etc/hosts file can degrade speed as it takes an inordinate amount of time, as a function of its size, to load the table and find an entry for every name resolution the browser (or other TCP/IP compliant application) has to perform. Browsers suffer more because many web pages load numerous URLs requiring many lookups to complete the page loading.

Resolution negation was never the intent of the etc/hosts file as it was designed in NFS and the TCP/IP stack for resolution in situations where there was a lack of Domain Name services.

You may be right about that, however when using HostsServer, I have noticed that it aids in mitigating any lost performance from using a large HOSTS file. Without HostsServer, it's definitely much slower.

Very interesting issues and discussion.  Since I have an older computer and dialup internet, it might just over load the system.  I sure don't want to compromise performance as I have little margin here.  I don't suppose there is anyone around that still uses dialup that could advise me.

I may just try it.  Is it relatively easy to setup and disable if it doesn't work well.

...it takes an inordinate amount of time, as a function of its size, to load the table and find an entry for every name resolution the browser (or other TCP/IP compliant application) has to perform. Browsers suffer more because many web pages load numerous URLs requiring many lookups to complete the page loading.

This is true about blocking ads in your web browser as well, regardless of whether you use a third party extension such as Adblock Plus, or a browser's built-in system such as Opera's Content Blocker. The more entries in the list, the longer it takes to check each URL content is loaded from against that list.

I thought Exile 360 said that you have to disable DNS in order for the host file to work.

No, Samuel was hinting at the fact that you don't want the DNS Client service running when using a large HOSTS file. The reason being that each time the HOSTS file is updated, your computer will be unusable for about 20-30 seconds if the DNS Client service is running.

Edited by GT500

David, have you ever tried disabling the DNS Client service?

Yeah, it screws up DNS Caching.

EDIT:

The DNS Client service (dnscache) caches Domain Name System (DNS) names and registers the full computer name for this computer. If the service is stopped, DNS names will continue to be resolved. However, the results of DNS name queries will not be cached and the computer's name will not be registered. If the service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.

Yeah, it screws up DNS Caching.

I'm glad you added that edit. ;)

Now, I am wondering if AdvertBan is slowing down my browsing.

It most likely is. Normally I recommend only blocking ads via a single source. Since HOSTS files cannot block all ads, an in-browser solution is usually the best. Obviously Adblock Plus is great for Firefox, and for Opera I like Fanboy's Opera Adblock list which I use with Opera's built-in Content Blocker.

Regarding DNS Client, I found the following quoted info here:

NOTE: It is important to note that there have been complaints of system slowdowns when using a large hosts file. This is usually fixed by turning off and disabling the DNS Client in your Services control panel under Administrative Tools. The DNS client caches previous DNS requests in memory to supposedly speed this process up, but it also reads the entire HOSTS file into that cache as well which can cause a slowdown. This service is unnecessary and can be disabled.

I also found this on the abelhadigital forums (they guys behind HostsMan) regarding how to use a large HOSTS file with the DNS client service enabled.

• Root Admin

Any use of large hosts files in LAN/WAN network cause all sorts of delays and timing issues where some applications don't do well. Even setting up preference of which DNS lookup to use can heavily impact response times. Granted most of this is for home use and the average home user should have no real issues with it but in a large scale business it can certainly potentially cause issues.

Interesting information on mitigating the problems induced by a large etc/hosts file. Of course in an AD you couldn't disable the DNS Client but within a non-AD SOHO environment I see it "could" have a benefit.

Thanx Samuel.

Yep, using a large HOSTS file to block ads and malware (or anything for that matter) is definitely a home user only type thing. Such filtering/blocking should be handled by network hardware for any business environment or by something that works quite differently from a HOSTS file (like a firewall maybe).