Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Well in a previous post you said you had the Pro version on your own computer

For a long time, I've used Malware Bytes FREE to clean up customer's PC's and the Pro version in real time to keep my own PC safe from all sorts of Malware.

That's why I asked you to contact support and provide them the order number so that they can work directly with you to correct the issue. It is very unlikely that your error has anything to do with this build 1.6 but support can assist you in looking at why you might be getting the error if you like.

Thanks

Just to let you know:

I was having the issue with MBAM 1.6 in Win XP (see my previous posts through this same thread). I decided to try "Windows 7 Firewall Control" so I uninstalled Zone Alarm, installed "Windows 7 Firewall Control" and updated MBAM to v 1.6 and everything is so far so good.

I already use "Windows 7 Firewall Control" paid version in Win 7 but the one in XP is the free one.

This was with the download of the FREE version linked to in post # 36.

NO Order number. NO order.

I'm testing Windows 8/DP and I find that the same version of the program loaded and updated OK on Win-8.

Bye!

I had the same issues as most here - The latest MB update caused a Windows error on XP-SP3 / AVG Free 2012 / no Firewall (besides Windows Firewall)

The instructions to use the Mbam-clean tool / Reboot and then re-install the latest worked for me.

I would like to know where ThePCDoctor got his Windows 8 from, seeing as it will not be released for some time, yet...

I'm running the FREE version on Win-8/DP too, with the default firewall.

Also running AVG 2012 FREE now, finally, after the latest program update.

Also running without problems on Win-8,,, Spybot S&D, Spyware Blaster 4.5, Trojan Hunter 5.5.

Looks like Win-8 will be a Keeper, if and when it's finally released in it's full version.

Cheers mates!

The Doctor :)

2 - Windows XP SP3 computers, 2.4ghz AMD Athlon64 / 3.4ghz P4, 2gb RAM in both computers. Updated the free version of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware on my wife's computer, as with others in this thread, it absolutely refused to run once updated (see post #80, minus the error reporting crapola). Uninstalled/reinstalled, same issue. No ZoneAlarm Firewall, only running the hardware firewall in my modem/router and I'm not disabling that. Also running Avast Free, Windows Defender, SpywareBlaster/SpywareGuard. Spent considerable amount of time reading this thread, decided to use the mbam-clean utility/rebooted, cleaned up junk files, used Auslogics Registry Cleaner to clean up invalid registry entries, rebooted again, disabled Avast (just for the heck of it), installed and successfully ran Malwarebytes.

My computer runs the same utilities as hers, the update installed and ran without issues (with Avast enabled and running).

I have no idea why it installed fine on my computer but not on my wife's computer.

My point in posting here is to add my voice to the others who have had issues with this new version of Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.

It's not our computers, it's your application.

It's the first time this has happened with MBAM, I hope it's the last.

Thank you and have a nice day, -kd5-

Hello kd5,

For the system having the issue with MBAM.

Please Download OTL to your Desktop:

To Use OTL:

• Get OTL From
HERE
Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
OTL should now start. Change the following settings
Change Drivers to All
Change Standard Registry to All
Under File Scans, change File age to 30
Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.
Please attach these 2 files in your next reply.

Thank you.

Hmm. I can't run the new version of mbam either, at least not on my desktop, with Zonealarm and McAfee running.

I can, however, run the updated version of mbam (1.60.0.1800) on my laptop with Zonealarm and AVG running.

So I'm not sure that Zonealarm is the problem in my instance. I tried shutting down Zonealarm on the desktop and I still got the same window saying mbam had "encountered a problem". Go figure.

im using xp sp3, avira 2011, nis2012, zonealarm free. malwarebytes pro 1.51.2.1300. nis said something happened during scan: unauthorized access blocked (open token process) actor mbamservice.exe, target nis sec engine ccsvchst.exe

nis didnt like mbam and blocked it. bad nis. i rightclick mbam tray start update 5,85 mb % ok.

try updating again program_error_updating(403,0 HTTPStatusCode

i go to mbam site look in forum and all the problems here in this thread, norton internet security have been blocking mbam a lot in the recent history log. if i make an exception in nis and mbam updates i will be subject to freeze, hang nightmare to possibly.

i long didnt update ZA cuz it f*k things, very recently it updated itself and i was surprised it didnt f*k everthing. Earlier in 2011 avira antivirus wanted to update itself to 2012(with firewall), but i had to go back to 2011.

my current nis2011* is an upgraded/updated older install, but not the first 2012_offer from norton to upgrade cuz the first f*k everything up.

well i guess its mbams turn to run into the hang freeze/firewall issues zzzzz

I loved mbam back when i first installed it and it removed a lot of crap :)

edit: today mbam evaded nis block and updated to 1.16.800 and when i restarted to finish install it froze on za free i assume. i put in ghost boot cd and restored back 2 days. :P

Hi. First, thanks for a great program. Am using the free version. I run XP with SP3, bang up to date. Never had issues with MBAM until the new release, which failed to install. I should have kept exact details of all error messages but didn't (at one point I did get Run-time error '5': Invalid procedure call or argument, but not sure if that is what showed when I first tried to install (I think so). I hadn't uninstalled the previous version (1.51.2.1300). So I ran mbam-clean.exe to remove all traces of MBAM and tried a clean install of the new release. Still no luck, but I admit to being sloppy as to what happened - I THINK it seemed to install, but gave an error when trying to update definitions.

I reverted to 1.51.2.1300 and everything is back to normal.

All I'd like to say is that this is not a ZoneAlarm issue with my machine: I use Sunbelt Personal Firewall (free edition). Only other security program running is Microsoft Security Essentials. NoScript add-on for Firefox stops scripts running except with my permission, and I use McAfee SiteAdvisor & WOT to help avoid the dodgiest sites. It's been a very long time since I had any malware issues. I run a lean machine and have exhaustively checked all running processes & services.

It's pretty clear that there is a big issue with 1.60.0.1800 for XP users, and it's not just to do with Zone Alarm. I hope this is of some use. I'm afraid I wouldn't be too happy to get involved in testing out proposed fixes as I spent all of one morning just getting MBAM working again & am not confident that tinkering with things will help. Looks like the program needs a complete revamp.

Thanks for reading this, and best wishes.

Hello kd5,

For the system having the issue with MBAM...

Spent considerable amount of time reading this thread, decided to use the mbam-clean utility/rebooted, cleaned up junk files, used Auslogics Registry Cleaner to clean up invalid registry entries, rebooted again, disabled Avast (just for the heck of it), installed and successfully ran Malwarebytes.

I had already solved the problem myself, but thanks anyway... ;) -kd5-

In case this can be of use....

I have two PCs, both went through the update, on different days; one works fine the other has issues same as everyone else.

First rig:

Windows XP SP3

AVG 2011

Version: 10.0.1416

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall

Version: 9.2,106.000

Spybot Search & Destroy

Version: 1.6.2.46

Running both SD Helper and Resident “Tea Timer”

Updated Free Malwarebytes on 12-3-2011 to latest version: No issue, it works great and still is working.

Second rig:

Windows XP SP3

AVG 2012

Version: 2012.0.1901

ZoneAlarm Free Firewall

version: 10.1.065.000

vsmon version: 10.1.065.000

Driver version: 10.1.065.000

ZoneAlarm Browser Security: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Scanner: 1.5.350.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Anti-Phishing Database: 1.2.104.0

ZoneAlarm ForceField Spyware Sites Database: 04.155

Spybot Search & Destroy

Version: 1.6.2.46

Running only SD Helper

Updated Free Malwarebytes on 1-1-2012 to the latest version: Program dose not work, it downloads, instals, asks to run update and completes the update, but just won’t launch when I try to open the program.

Your program was great, hope you get it back in all the games.

• Root Admin

@JustAnother

Please see your Private Message with a fix for this issue with Zone Alarm.

oops... just noticed you're using the free version of MBAM - so that really should not be the same issue.

In most cases the mbam-clean should correct it.

Please do the following:

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from here
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from here
    • Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's here or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

Thanks Ron,

The Instructions were effective and the program installed and is working. Just for future reference my problem was identical to LarkBea in post #80 of this thread. (and I made a typo, the date of 12-30-2011 was the first rigs update).

On running the definitions update it went OK, I ran a quick scan came up clean.

I will still keep an eye on this forum to see how it finally plays out.

Thanks again.

I have already posted on this forum.

I have free version of Zone Alarm

Free version - AVG

Paid version of MBAM ( which I have uninstalled for now )

please contact me by e-mail when it's safe to re-install.

or send me any proven(!) fixes.

I don't mind waiting, but don't want that feeling when Windows gets stuck again

Thanks

"I'll send you a PM with the fix for Zone Alarm free"

Please could you do the same for me, I run:-

Zone Alarm Free

MS Security Essentials

Malwarebytes Pro

And have the issue where by ZA and Malware can not run at the same time without XP freezing.

thanks

Ditto:

I need the above fix also.

In addition, if there is still an issue with Avast Free, ZA Free and MB Pro, I will need the fix for that also. I have 3 relatives that have been waiting for re-install of their MB Pro.