Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about posting "the fix" so the rest of us can give it a try? As long as it's marked as a beta or possible solution, there should be no reason for complaints. I'd love to give it a go and would be happy to report back.

I also have XP Pro SP3 with Zone Alarm and Avast and experienced total lockout a week ago. I eventually had to Restore from a previous backup and continue to refuse updates. After checking the Forum I have been anxiously awaiting the promised fix. I downloaded the latest 1.60.0.1800 today (dated 4/1/12) and installed it after using mbam_clean on the old version. It updated without a problem then locked up the whole system again and I had to Restore from a backup made before this exercise.

So where is the promised "fix"? Where will the notice be posted?

Don't ask me, fellas. I'm just an "EULA", that was asked to check out a "thing". So far, it is working. Perhaps they're writing up a new one?

Sorry about that! I clicked on the wrong "Reply" tab. It was meant to be a general reply to the whole thread.

There are 49 individual posts that I was able to find (your post actually now makes 50) - those not resolved have been either no follow-up reply or they are using Zone Alarm. There is 1 post with Privacy Firewall. There was another similar post only with Outpost firewall and setting it to training mode seemed to fix for them.

As for Avast, yes it was an issue that Avast fixed very quickly once we reported it to them and it is no longer an issue.

The issue appears to be something to do with how the firewalls are probably binding to the network card. You may be able to review the settings in Comodo Firewall and check the logs and see if you can get Comodo to work with MBAM.

Please see the following post for more information on this issue.

Currently there is an issue with Zone Alarm and until a fix is found you will need to either disable the protection module in MBAM Pro or use another Firewall product.

We are currently investigating the issue with Zone Alarm. I will report this issue with Comodo to our QA department as well but if you can do some testing on your own and let us know if you do get it fixed and how that would be great.

Thank you.

I Was having big problems after last update 12/27. I uninstalled Zone Alarm Free and installed Comodo Free firwall -also running Avast 6 free. Anyway - all update problems solved - system running fine. Comodo free firewall seems to work fine and I like it better then the latest zone alarm. Thanks for all the info. (Win. Xp Pro sp3 Dell Precision)

Unlike many posters, I do not run Avast, ZA or any other After Market firewall program.

Malware Bytes not working with Windows XP:

For a long time, I've used Malware Bytes FREE to clean up customer's PC's and the Pro version in real time to keep my own PC safe from all sorts of Malware.

But very recently, I found that Malware Bytes no longer works on any of my Windows XP PC's.

It works just fine on Win-7 or Win-8 though.

So, doing some experimenting, I restored a Ghost Backup of my C: drive, made in November 2011.

After the restore I ran Malware Bytes and it updated and scanned with no problems.

It runs very nicely along side AVG 2012 Pro, with never a problem.

Then I noticed a message on the screen telling me that there is a new version of the program available and did I want to download it. I clicked that message and was taken to the download page at Malware Bytes. I downloaded the new version of the program and installed it. On opening the program after the install, I got a message telling me the program had encountered a problem and would close.

I've gotten the same message on every one of my XP PC's after downloading and installing the new version. So my only conclusion is that Malware Bytes is no longer supporting Windows XP. Eh?

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and if there's going to be a fix for it, or if we now have to use some other program. ???

The Doctor :unsure:

• Root Admin

Having read all the issues being experienced ,including my own ,I'm suprised this version is still being offered for download.

Because with many millions of users having downloaded it the vast majority have no issue. We are currently working on an update though for those with Zone Alarm.

If you're having an issue and cannot wait then please contact support and they can assist you with a temporary fix for Zone Alarm.

Thank you

• Root Admin

For a long time, I've used Malware Bytes FREE to clean up customer's PC's

Use of the free version in any type of business is against the EULA (End User License Agreement) all business use must have a properly licensed version.

The program fully supports XP - if you're having specific issue please contact support and provide them with your Cleverbridge order number and they will be happy to assist you.

Thanks

I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem, and if there's going to be a fix for it, or if we now have to use some other program. ???

Hi,

I got a strange problem like yours, but as that was after a clean install due to the big ZA issue, I forgot it.

When I compare now the MBAM registry keys, I see major differences so I think there some bugs behind... :blink:

If you're having a specific issue please let us know or contact support and they can work with you on the issue.

"A strange problem" - is not very specific for anyone to be able to assist you.

http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=103148&view=findpost&p=510416

Got again on an other PC, after clean install of v1.51.2.1300, and two days without trouble...

Replaced by v1.60.0.1800 + mbamservice.exe fix

@HiSpeed

Please contact support directly and provide them with your order numbers and they will assist you with any issue you're currently having.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/contact_consumer

As I've replaced the version, it's no more a problem for me, and even if I explain it, they will say: "please install the new version"... :o

• Root Admin

By the way, could you answer me for the future of the fix:

Have I to install the fix on all my PCs or wait a new release?

Thanks.

That is up to you. If you have other systems with the issue then you would need to install the fix or wait for the official new update (there is no set date when it will be ready though at this time).

If you have other systems with the issue then you would need to install the fix or wait for the official new update (there is no set date when it will be ready though at this time).

Is the "fix" for non Zone Alarm users to uninstall, then use the cleanup tool & disable virus scanner before downloading & installing the new version? Is it necessary to disable Comodo prior to install?

Are ongoing definition updates then just a case of clicking the update button?

Has the cause of the problem been identified yet btw?

Please can you give an idea if we talking days, weeks or over a month for the new update?

Thanks

Dennis

• Root Admin

Hello Dennis,

We are actually looking for some users that do not have Zone Alarm but are having an issue installing MBAM 1.6 that is willing to work with us to see if we can track down the issue.

If you are having an install issue and you are not running Zone Alarm and you're not infected and are willing to work with us to review please send me a Private Message

Thanks

In my own case, I plainly stated that I'm not using Zone Alarm or any of the other programs mentioned in previous posts.

Per the message in post # 36, I downloaded both files and followed the instructions to the letter.

After the install and a reboot, I tried to run Malware Bytes from the desktop shortcut.

All I got was this 'new' message that I'd not seen before.

MBAMError.jpg

I've just about run out of patience with this problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

The Doctor ;)

:cool:

• Root Admin

In my own case, I plainly stated that I'm not using Zone Alarm or any of the other programs mentioned in previous posts.

Per the message in post # 36, I downloaded both files and followed the instructions to the letter.

After the install and a reboot, I tried to run Malware Bytes from the desktop shortcut.

All I got was this 'new' message that I'd not seen before.

MBAMError.jpg

I've just about run out of patience with this problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions,

The Doctor ;)

:cool:

Please contact support and provide them with your order number and they will work with you to correct this.

Thank you