Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

We don't have an exact walk through example for that version but please try the following which should be close. You may need to do some exploring on your own though.

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in McAfee Total Protection 2011:

1. Open McAfee and click on Navigation in the upper right hand corner.
  2. Click on Firewall located under Features.
  3. Click on Program Permissions and wait for the list to populate.
  4. Click the Add button and then click browser.
  5. Add the following files to the firewall with full access:
    Note: On 64 bit Windows versions these files will be located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
    • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe

[*]Click OK

[*]Close the McAfee main window and restart your computer.

Thanks, but this doesn't seem to be of help to me. I'm not running the McAfee firewall. I can install the McAfee firewall from the Features link, but I probably don't want to have two firewalls running at the same time. Or do I? I'm looking at the listings under Application Control for ZA free. Let me see if that helps.

Can I just roll back to an earlier version of mbam? Or is the update program going to automatically do a version update as well as definitions?

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Win XP Pro SP3 with ZA free PC here

after Windows and mwb update today, pc was infected with mwb trial version again that was a problem last year,

didn't ask for it, it just got back in... disabled it from startup and killed the mwb service...

(got a service exe in the update)

now PC is working, i.e. doesn't freeze on startup requiring cold shutdown

B1z,

Could you explain that a bit more? I'm glad to hear there's a solution but I don't understand what it is.

When I downloaded 1.6 manually (after running mbam-clean.exe) it installed as a trial version but allowed me to register it. Is that wrong? It locked up on my XP Pro SP3 machine as soon as it tried to update itself.

I have two licenses for mbam pro, and two PCs. The mbam on the one with Windows 2000 on it simply stopped working but didn't cause any problems - that was after an automatic update, I think. I followed the clean procedure and downloaded 1.6, after which it was quite happy. My XP Pro SP3 machine is having the freezing up but mouse still working problem - I can click to select things on the desktop too, but trying to open them does nothing.

I've spent a very frustrating evening rebooting into safe mode, disabling things (the mbam service turned out to be the culprit) and trying to boot back into XP. This sort of behaviour is expected of malware and viruses, not the software I've paid for to protect me from them.

I too have ZA free on both. I have Avast! 6.0.1203 on my Windows 2000 PC (paid for - the last version that ran on Win2k) and it's now fine. I have the free Avira Antivir 10.2.0.700 on the XP machine (needs updating or replacing). I'm inclined to think the antivirus software part of the equation is a red herring. Either way, both machines worked fine before mbam offered to update itself to a newer version. Neither worked properly afterwards, though clean installing worked in Windows 2000.

I've uninstalled mbam from my XP machine for the time being.

Funnily enough, both the PCs that made the latest (1.60) MBAM crash on loading DID have ATi graphics cards.

DrT

FWIW, My Windows 2000 PC has an ATI Radeon 9600 graphics card, and is working fine with 1.60. My XP Pro SP3 machine has an nVidia GeForce 6200 (and, of course, isn't working). I think the ATI thing is probably a coincidence. A hell of a lot of people have ATI cards or onboard graphics chipsets.

Incidentally, why all the PMing and secrecy? If a solution that works had simply been posted here, at the end of this thread, I wouldn't be typing this, I'd have implemented it already.

I was just testing :)

One... Two...

Then I was composing this reply.

Apparently not. Good.

So, what was the last stable version of mbam, and where can I download it?

I feel for all those people who can't be with us today because their computer suddenly stopped working and they just don't know how to get it started again. XP SP3 is probably still the most common Windows OS out there so there really should have been a bit more testing done before this current version was inflicted on us.

Update:

I found I still had mbam-setup-1.51.2.1300.exe so I installed that on my XP Pro SP3 machine. That seems to be working fine, except for downloading 1.60 as part of the first set of updates and announcing that it was about to install it. Pressing cancel stopped it so now there's just the balloon that pops up from the system tray icon to deal with. Presumably, if I miss the close button and hit the main part of the balloon, I'm back to square one, but at least I'll know how to fix it.

I see that 1.60 is still on the cnet download page. May I strongly suggest that you withdraw it before someone tries to start a class action against you? Possibly there's a clause in the EULA that says "I accept that by using this software my PC may, quite likely will, become completely inoperable"?

Just had this issue come up last night on a desktop I'm working on.

At the time, I didn't even have an AV installed, installed Avast later, and don't use Zone Alarm.

I've had this issue on a couple of my Windows 7 machines, but a simple uninstall of the old version and a thorough cleaning with CrapCleaner, and reinstall of newest Mbam corrected it though.

Last night was the first time I had to come here to see if this was a known issue though.

This could've almost been a major boo boo folks!! Let's get it fixed quickly, please!!

Working on another laptop today in which it had Avira AV, I uninstalled that first, then tried to update MB and poof, got this same error. Didn't even try and uninstall it manually this time. Came straight here and did the clearr thing, reinstalled, worked fine.

This was on another Windows 7 machine also. Just has Windows 7 firewall.

This could've almost been a major boo boo folks!! Let's get it fixed quickly, please!!

Almost? I'm pretty sure this qualifies as a full sized boo boo.

For a lot of people, this year, and a few days of last year, their first experience of trying MalwareBytes AntiMalware was that it stopped their computer working all together. A large proportion of those people probably didn't have the faintest idea what to do about it and weren't able to fix it for themselves. Some will have pestered the usual friends and relatives, some will have handed over good money to an alleged IT professional get it sorted out.

How many of those people are going to want to pay to use MBAM Pro after that? Okay, some of them will be dumb enough to fall for the idea that it happened because they had a virus. I can see that.

What amazes me most, having read the "Possible Updating Issues" thread that LDTate has just kindly linked to, is that the MalwareBytes team has now been aware of the severity of the problem for a while, and the causes, but the plan has been to just let the situation continue until the next version's ready.

Seriously, why not just pull this version and direct people to the last known good one instead? Is it for legal reasons - i.e. you just don't want to admit the mistake, or is it just because you're all too busy panicking?

I could certainly understand if it was the second one but the fact that there's absolutely nothing on the main pages of www.malwarebytes.org to warn new users of the problem makes me wonder if it's the first. Sure, it takes a while to sort these things out but while that's going on, more people who haven't updated in a while (like I hadn't) and many more people trying MBAM and the protection module for the first time, are getting their PCs turned into large air cooled, LED lit paperweights.

I'm no business expert, but I'm inclined to think that's going to have a negative effect on sales.

Have been following this forum expecting a result by now. But after LDTate's post #363, I have to say that I am running XP SP3 and ZoneAlarm Extreme Security v10.0.246 and I have the same problem, so it ain't just a problem with the free version of ZA. I've tried the suggested "fixes" and they don't work. My wife is running the same on her laptop (except she has the Danish version of XP) and she has not had a problem.

Dave

Hi,

I would say here that MB encountered a big trouble but has been very reactive.

I know a lot of software companies absolutely not capable to fix a problem more quickly than MBAM did...

Thanks again for your help...

I tried the MB trial in Dec.2010, the next day it said it was expiried, I came here for a cure,

all was well until I updated on this Wed. and it was back with the trial [MB tray icon]

Cold booted into safe mode: I used HijackThis to remove MB from startup, and services.msc to diable the MB service,

reboot, found the new MB service exe and renamed it, then ran ccleaner to clean Windows registry, and now I have my PC back....

B1z,

Could you explain that a bit more? I'm glad to hear there's a solution but I don't understand what it is.

I have XP Pro with SP3 with Free Zone alarm 9.2.106 and Malwarebytes Pro 1.15.1.18 which suddenly failed to start up when I switched my computer on but did not crash or lock my computer.

I have uninstalled malwarebytes as this is my only computer and I am not a technical minded and the only help I get with computer problems is what I can find on the internet.

Hope it will not be too long before the problem is resolved as I do not like paying for something which I am afraid to even try and use.

Hi,

I think this issue not proper to XP.

I get some time strange freezes with my Seven-32 Pro (using ZA ).

As it's my only one PC using the original file "mbamservice.exe" (the others use XP-32 Pro), I think the trouble coming from it.

I replaced it by the fix...

By the way, why the forum doesn't work anymore with the Firefox 9 user/password memorization?

I see. Thanks for clarifying that, HiSpeed.

I think I'll just stick with 1.51 until a new release appears, and has been tested by a few other people :) I hate automatic updates in general. You never know what to expect. It's good that you can cancel it when MBAM wants to update itself, but it's still too easy to click the wrong thing.

I've done it with Opera too. I never want to update Opera til I've made a backup of my settings because it has a habit of wiping all my bookmarks. On the whole, I'd rather let other people try it first and wait for the complaints :mellow:

i started mbam , about, help, logged in started a support ticket, did the dd.scr collect info txt attachments, got a reply to use an attached file mbamservice.exe , boot into safemode, replace existing mbamservice.exe with the attached version. Only problem no file was attached with the email, and no url to download any?

yesterday i started adobe media player, it wanted to do a minor update? ok. result my adobe media player install was deleted and adobe no longer support nor provide any download of said program. norton ghost - me old abobe media player 1,1 back as before evil fake update. found 1.7 at different url . :P

restoring c:\ from a backup ghost image takes 7-20 minutes. its very mindnumbing to use ghost but after hours/days/weeks of formatting hardrives installing Os and close to one hundred applications and updates to every app, u get really tired of that and u get the biggest grin on your face the first couple of times you use ghost to give the finger to whatever it is that fup your pc.

the imagefiles are on fifferent drives and can be burnt to DVD´s. So if the C:\ drive fails completely i can buy a new drive and put an old image on it and be up again with the same Os n apps everything usually far sooner then having to reinstall everything.

Every time i tried using system restore it kept files the antivirus programs wanted to delete, and if a restore was successful all the antivirus programs became corrupted and needed to be reupdated with every definition file since first install.

Image Backup Ghost is the best solution i have come across.

B1z,

Did you get 1.6 to work, or just uninstall it?

It's running / scanning right now.

What I did removes the 'real time protection' that I didn't want anyway.

I'll wait for a fixed update before I uninstall, mb-clean, delete folders, cclean and then install an hope the 'trial' doesn't get back in....

I wish that when I click the [Check for Updates] that it would show what updates were availabe and let me decide if I then wanted them???