Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

@ Klinker

The link to the clean utility works for me. Just tried it.

Perhaps your firewall or perhaps your antivirus 'burped' ??

What are you using for firewall ? for anti-virus ?

In any event, Kudos on getting a successful MBAM setup :excl:

Running McAfee Total Protection..... they just updated their Security Center component to version 11.654 to "fix" some problems this week . Maybe something different in their "fix" that is blocking access that is too new for anybody else to see yet? Specifically I'm running the same firewall and real time scanning settings with McAfee as before when I've successfully accessed the clean utility.

Also run Spywareblaster, but I wouldn't think that would matter.

I tried the link a couple of more times and I can see the box which would allow the download in the background, but the IE error message pops up saying "IE cannot download....would not open/not available".

I'm not sure my skills are advanced enough to provide any better reasons for why the link is getting blocked, sorry. Like I said earlier, it looks like the beta version downloaded and works o.k. without running the clean utility like I had to with the December upgrade so it's good from that standpoint.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have installed the previously mentioned "beta" ( not a clean install ) and the previous problems are gone for me ( XP SP3 ). Thank you for fixing the problem, as I like your software, and was about to buy it, when the trial version locked up my computer ( I was able to get around this by running msconfig immediately after boot and disabling the autostart feature - could not even get in to safe mode ). Looking forward to being able to use your product again.

I have installed the previously mentioned "beta" ( not a clean install ) and the previous problems are gone for me ( XP SP3 ). Thank you for fixing the problem, as I like your software, and was about to buy it, when the trial version locked up my computer ( I was able to get around this by running msconfig immediately after boot and disabling the autostart feature - could not even get in to safe mode ). Looking forward to being able to use your product again.

@phatchanz

Can you make it a bit clearer for me?

Has the beta 1.60.1.1000 installed OK? and if so, disabling something in Msconfig is not advised.

Is there some remaining issue ??

Hi

Have posted on the beta thread but thought I would post here too for those still following this thread:

Running Windows XP SP3 with Zone Alarm Extreme Security v10.0.246.000

Had problem with mbam v1.60.0.1800 - PC hung on installation.

Ran mbam-clean.exe and installed beta v1.60.1.1000.

Problem solved.

Regards

Dave

The beta fix 1.60.1.1000 is working fine on my XP machine and I just installed the same 1.60.1.1000 on my Win7 64-bit machine.

Is it okay to used 1.60.1.1000 with Win7 or should I install 1.60.0.1800?

Is there any downside to using 1.60.1.1000 with Win7?

Edited by Maurice Naggar
Moderator edit for trimming

The beta fix 1.60.1.1000 is working fine on my XP machine and I just installed the same on my Win7 64-bit machine. No problems!

QUESTION: Is it okay to use 1.60.1.1000 with Win7 or should I install 1.60.0.1800? Is there any downside to using 1.60.1.1000 with Win7?

Thanks! (And sorry for my previous "garbage post". I guess copy and paste didn't work so well!)

The beta fix 1.60.1.1000 is working fine on my XP machine and I just installed the same on my Win7 64-bit machine. No problems!

QUESTION: Is it okay to use 1.60.1.1000 with Win7 or should I install 1.60.0.1800? Is there any downside to using 1.60.1.1000 with Win7?

Thanks! (And sorry for my previous "garbage post". I guess copy and paste didn't work so well!)

I've been beta testing 1.60.1 1000 on Windows 7 x64 it will run just fine. Just be sure to run the installer as Administrator

@phatchanz

Can you make it a bit clearer for me?

Has the beta 1.60.1.1000 installed OK? and if so, disabling something in Msconfig is not advised.

Is there some remaining issue ??

Sorry for not getting back here - the "beta" is fine- no issues for me - I had to use msconfig to disable the buggy one from running, and crashing the computer - it was the only way that I could get out of it - the computer kept crashing before I could do anything ( such as an uninstall ) - there was only a small window of time between boot up, and the crash ( or freeze ) - so I didn't have time for anything else - as I mentioned - the beta solved the problems ! - thanks again to the efforts of the team that resolved the issue !

I've been reading this entire thread and am a bit confused. Been very busy with some personal issues and hadn't realized that my Malwarebyte's problem may have started after the last update until checking this forum.

Running Windows XP sp3

Avast (latest version)

Windows Firewall

When I try to launch MB I get the following: Runtime error "5" Invalid procedure or argument

Should I try an uninstall and re-install? I've run various scans for malware using Avast or Spybot and my PC always comes up clean. I am in the process of cleaning up a very messy registry and was wondering if the problem lies with my machine rather than with MB. I think that only one other poster mentioned the identical error message above so I'm wondering if the source of my problem may not be with MB per se.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Sorry I sound so, well, dumb!

Hello, LostHearts:

Please carefully follow the instructions in this sticky topic HERE.

The first steps will be to perform a "clean upgrade" of MBAM to the most current version.

Then, please post back and let us know if that resolved your issues.

HTH,

daledoc1

PS Also, I am just a home user, but I know I echo the sentiments of many of the MBAM staff and other pros here to advise AGAINST the use of "registry cleaners". They often cause far more problems and damage than they fix. For example, please refer to this recent topic.

Hello. I haven't seen anyone post about NOD32 Antivirus 4.x. I install the free version on most of my customer's machines. Win7/Vista = no problems. WinXP SP3 = same hard crashing as mentioned above by many. I am one person, but am a tech and have installed MB 1.60.1.1000 & 1.60.1.1800 on dozens of machines in the past month or three and I am getting SLAMMED with calls about computer freezes from my customers with XP.

When 1.60.1.1000 first came out and started crashing machines, I did indeed use the MBAM_cleaner to perform a clean uninstall. Upon reinstallation it seemed to work for a bit, but alas, 1.60.1.1800 came out and auto downloaded and all the machines starting crashing again upon reboot. (Quietly in the back of my head, I thought, They didn't fix all of it yet... I hope someone tells them about the newly created incompatibility with NOD32!)

The IMPORTANT part of my story is that this is even happening with NEW WINDOWS BUILDS, meaning, I have: tested the hard drive for bad sectors, wiped the hard drive, reinstalled windows, patched windows fully, disabled windows firewall, installed MB 1.60.1.1800, then NOD32 Antivirus 4.x and then CRASH!

No need to use the cleaner as this is a brand new build.

I am one person, but have experienced this hard crashing described in this thread on dozens of XP SP3 machines most of them being new builds with the commanality of NOD32 Antivirus 4.x and MB 1.60.1.1800, and in the case of old builds, the problem persists after using the clean uninstall utility and reinstalling 1.60.1.1800 from scratch. As soon as you enable the protection module... BLAM! Within a few seconds, it's cyber bedlam.

You cannot stop NOD32 from running its starup scan. My temp fix is to disable the protection module so I have control of the machine long enough to uninstall MB. Even with the protection module off, the MBAM.exe process still runs and crashes the machine at startup, so I have to uninstall the program entirely and wait for the next version which will hopefully have a fix.

Hopefully with the info contained in this post, you wonderful folks at MB will be able to contact "Eset", the makers of NOD32, and have a chit chat...

I have touted MB for years as being a rare and wonderfully harmonious program that just seems to work well with others. My winning combination of protection was NOD32 2.x and then 4.x, MB and SuperAntiSpyware. I could run all three program scans at once with NO problems as they all scan in different ways and don't step on each others toes. But with the advent of MB version 1.60.1.1000, something went awry. Please, please, please know that 1.60.1.1800 has NOT solved all the issues!

Thanks,

Jayneg

Upon reinstallation it seemed to work for a bit, but alas, 1.60.1.1800 came out

Hello and welcome, Jayneg:

Sorry you are having problems with MBAM.

I am just a home user.

And I am not aware of any compatibility issues between MBAM and NOD32 (although I think the current version of NOD32 is actually version 5, not version 4?).

Until an MBAM staffer comes along, however, there are a couple of things that come to mind:

First, AFAIK, there is no MBAM consumer build 1.60.1.1800. (There was a 1.60.0.1800 build prior to the current version.) AFAIK, the latest official release build is 1.60.1.1000. Is there any way you might be confusing the MBAM program versions to which you are referring? To my knowledge the XP updating issues have been resolved with this most recent build for folks whose systems were not already infected or experiencing other issues.

Second, this forum is dedicated to home users. Since you mention that you install MBAM on lots of machines, that would suggest that you are a computer tech or business? If so, then you would be entitled to dedicated assistance from the corporate support folks.

Please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org

Also make sure you have malwarebytes.org and salesforce.com in your Safe Sender list in email.

In order to assist you better please provide the following information when contacting them.

Cleverbridge Order Reference Number:

Organization name:

Approved Contact name:

If you no longer have access to the order number you can contact Cleverbridge to obtain information about your order.

Cleverbridge customer support

In the interim, however, you might find some helpful information in this recent sticky topic by forum administrator, AdvancedSetup.

Sorry if I may have misunderstood your original post, or if there is a different enterprise version of MBAM with which I am not familiar.

I'm sure one of the forum mods/admins and/or MBAM staff wil be able to provide you with some additional guidance.

Thanks for your patience and understanding,

daledoc1

I haven't rebooted in days, and I'm still not ready to - I'll leave it til after a meeting I'm preparing for, in case something goes wrong with the update. I still see MBAM updates as an unexploded bomb, at the moment.

I wish there was an option to disable automatic updates all together and just have it notify me there was one available, once in a while. Yes, I can cancel the update, but it's too easy to press the wrong button if it pesters me when I'm in the middle of doing something more important.

I thought this machine still had 1.51.2.1300 on it, but that's the other one (this is my Windows 2000 PC - old, but reliable). I certainly didn't install 1.60.0.1800 manually, so it was offered as an automatic update, at some point.

@Andy2No

The new version is not a bomb. When you have caught up with your pressing work, then close your open apps, and allow MBAM update to proceed and finish.

and just as a general rule and aside from update, It is a good idea to logoff and do a fresh start each day.

just as a general rule and aside from update, It is a good idea to logoff and do a fresh start each day.

When using XP, I'd agree with that. Windows 2000 was stable enough to not need restarting unless there was a good reason to. It's still a superior product, you just can't get the software for it any more.

• Root Admin

Hello. I haven't seen anyone post about NOD32 Antivirus 4.x. I install the free version on most of my customer's machines.

I would love to test this out for you Jayneg but I'm not aware of any "free" version from ESET. They do offer a 30 free trial but it's certainly not a free version that I'm aware of. If you can provide more details on that I will investigate this error you're speaking of.

The IMPORTANT part of my story is that this is even happening with NEW WINDOWS BUILDS, meaning, I have: tested the hard drive for bad sectors, wiped the hard drive, reinstalled windows, patched windows fully, disabled windows firewall, installed MB 1.60.1.1800, then NOD32 Antivirus 4.x and then CRASH!

Please provide more information on the version of ESET NOD32 as again I'm not aware of where you would even get 4.x aside from maybe Filehippo but then it's still a trial I would assume. The current version though is 5.x and has been for a while now so you really should be using the 5.x version.

I am one person, but have experienced this hard crashing described in this thread on dozens of XP SP3 machines most of them being new builds with the commanality of NOD32 Antivirus 4.x and MB 1.60.1.1800, and in the case of old builds, the problem persists after using the clean uninstall utility and reinstalling 1.60.1.1800 from scratch. As soon as you enable the protection module... BLAM! Within a few seconds, it's cyber bedlam.

The .1800 build did have some issues but none of them regarding NOD32 as I recall. Mainly it was Zone Alarm Free and XP was not replacing a configuration file required. The latest build though should have corrected all those known and reported issues.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) version1.60.1.1000 was released on 30 January 2012 and is the one you should be using.

You cannot stop NOD32 from running its starup scan. My temp fix is to disable the protection module so I have control of the machine long enough to uninstall MB. Even with the protection module off, the MBAM.exe process still runs and crashes the machine at startup, so I have to uninstall the program entirely and wait for the next version which will hopefully have a fix.

McAfee has this issue as well and normally a minute or so delay on startup of Malwarebytes will prevent the conflict of them not allowing it to be excluded.

Hopefully with the info contained in this post, you wonderful folks at MB will be able to contact "Eset", the makers of NOD32, and have a chit chat...

Again, I'm not sure there is a known issue with ESET NOD32 - in fact normally they are the only AV product that typically does not require exclusions with our product. I am more than willing to do some testing though to see if I can confirm your issue but I think we need to be on the same page.

1. I'm not aware of any Free version from ESET besides a Trial which ends after 30 days so please confirm what you're using.

2. As the latest version from ESET is 5.x and has been for a while you really should be using that version

3. Our latest build that corrected the vast majority of reported issues is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) version1.60.1.1000 that was released on 30 January 2012 and is the one you should be using/testing with.

I have touted MB for years as being a rare and wonderfully harmonious program that just seems to work well with others. My winning combination of protection was NOD32 2.x and then 4.x, MB and SuperAntiSpyware. I could run all three program scans at once with NO problems as they all scan in different ways and don't step on each others toes. But with the advent of MB version 1.60.1.1000, something went awry. Please, please, please know that 1.60.1.1800 has NOT solved all the issues!

Thanks,

Jayneg

Well as said above, I think we need to be on the same page and testing the correct software.

Thanks

@ AbarC

At the next immediate opportunity, check the topmost sticky at http://forums.malwar...howtopic=104955

Get and save the zip file. Extract and apply the setup program to the system.

I am more than confident that the prior issue will now be gone.

No one is any longer debating numbers. What Exile 360 stated is the fact.

After you've done one, a report on the result would be good.

Well, it is working. I had to wait to get appointments going as I do not have the full version in mine to check it. But, I did get back to 289 Customers, at my expense again making a trip to them, and it is all working. I did not have to do a clean uninstall either on any of them. I also got updated those that I told not to update until I contacted them. I called all of them or sent email with full instructions and attached the setup file ( don't know if you have yet published it) and I have not gotten one reply back as to it not working. I would say at this time I have 500 at least working without a hitch and I have yet to get back to fix another 200+ Customers and I will be doing them at my expense for your error, this week. Hitting the road again! Please don't mess up this big again as I cannot afford the gas to do this all again.

Thanks for the fix and I now have happy Customers again.

• Root Admin

@ AbarC

I don't think any company wants or expects issues to happen but unfortunately it is a part of all our lives from time to time. I would recommend possibly investing in an easy to use Remote Control software package though if you have that many customers that you're managing. Possibly even setting up your own Web page for your customers that has your specific instructions for them to follow. Even if it's not our software there are bound to be other software issues come up that using Remote Control makes it very easy.

Thank you and I'm happy you have things sorted out now.