Malwarebytes Update = Severe XP issues

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know when this problem will be resolved. I have uninstalled the pro version as I only have one compter and no techncial skills if a reinstalled MB should lock my computer. Have MB just abandoned this problem and all Pro users have wasted their money. MB was highly recommeded to me but I am not very impressed at present and I have spent my money for nothing.

I just created an account due to this error. I have been an active MBAM user both at home and work for almost 5 years. Currently I am sys admin for 2 small companies with about 40 users. MOst of our PCs are XP SP3, however, we do have some Windows7 64 bit machines (8 PCs). earlier in thuis week, I ran into this issue and was able to use the mbam-clean.exe and re install 1.6.0.0.1800 and all worked. TODAY, I have started my monthly maintenances during which I usually update mbam and run a quick scan. on the first three PCs (all XP SP3), this issue occurred. We do not use ZA or Avast- all of these machines use Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.5 and all are up to date as of today. I tried disabling SEP on one machine BEFORE updating MBAM-still got the error after the updates.

So far, I am doing what has been suggested, [run mbam-clean.exe, OK out of all the errors, reboot, disable SEP, re install MBAM 1.60.0.1800]. BUT I will tell you that I refuse to update another PCs Mbam until this gets resolved. I do have 3 users using MBAM PRO, I may try to see if there are any differences with those as they automatically update every day.

NOw, I realize this is "freeware" for most of us users, however, MBAM has had these updating issues about 3 times since I started using it. BAd enough to have to fight legit bad guys, but to have to worry that machines are infected when they are not is Waaaay BAD (as the kids say)!

rocksuitcase sounds like you are using Malwarebytes in a business environment. Please contact corporate support and they will help you reslove your issue.

As your statement seems to indicate that this is a business please contact corporate support and they will assist you with this.

Please send an email to corporate-support@malwarebytes.org

Also make sure you have malwarebytes.org and salesforce.com in your Safe Sender list in email.

In order to assist you better please provide the following information when contacting them.

Cleverbridge Order Reference Number:

Organization name:

Approved Contact name:

If you no longer have access to the order number you can contact Cleverbridge to obtain information about your order.

Cleverbridge customer service

Is you do not have a corporate license see below:

As a business you are not allowed to install or use the product in any capacity and is a violation of the EULA to do so. The Technician's License was designed for small shops such as yours so that you can economically afford and use the product legally and avail yourself to Corporate Support. I'm not certain of the cost but I believe it is around $100 per Technician per year. A typical cleanup or possibly two cleanups often pays for the license in most cases.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thank you

Hello,

Just wanted you to know that after the update to Malwarebytes Pro 1.60

I’ve had nothing but lock ups. It was so bad I thought I had a virus on the machine.

Uninstall Malwarebytes pro today and all is fine.

I’m running Xp Pro Sp3 with McAffe from Cox. Seems to be a conflict between the two.

Had no problem with the old version and may try a down load from filehippo.

If some how there’s a fix I’d to know. I already paid for the full version.

Tool

Does malwarebytes.org have an archive of older versions to download? It certainly needs one.

If there's no objection, I could upload the working version I have to oldversion.com.

I have mbam-setup-1.51.2.1300.exe and that's working fine for me, with XP Pro SP3, Aviria Antivir Free and ZoneAlarm Free, also on Windows 2000 SP4 + the final roll up updates, with Avast! 6.0.1203 (an older version than the current one as they no longer support Win2k) and ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.483.000 (the last verison I know of that supports Win2k).

If for some reason the admins don't want me to do that, let me know soon because I don't think I can take it off again once I put it on there.

I paid for MBAM Pro (for both PCs) but as I understand it, it's the same download either way. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I have mbam-setup-1.51.2.1300.exe and that's working fine for me, with XP Pro SP3, Aviria Antivir Free and ZoneAlarm Free, also on Windows 2000 SP4 + the final roll up updates, with Avast! 6.0.1203 (an older version than the current one as they no longer support Win2k) and ZoneAlarm Free 7.0.483.000 (the last verison I know of that supports Win2k).

I forgot to mention, both 1.51.2.1300 and 1.60.0.1800 work on the Windows 2000 PC, so I'm using the latest one one to avoid having the annoying update pop-ups all the time, as I now do on the XP machine. Possibly the reason is that 1.60 doesn't conflict with the older version of ZA Free.

Whoops – I may have stumbled across another "funny" using MBAM with XP SP3! On two machines, I could not download Firefox extension updates if MB was running. Once I unchecked "Start with Windows," the updates proceeded to download and install normally. Also, the "Enable protection module" on the main MB screen is greyed out and cannot be unchecked. However, if MBAM is opened AFTER it's been "told" not to start with Windows, the "Enable protection module", starts out unchecked. One more thing: attempting to end "mbamservice.exe" in the Task Manager freezes the machine! All of this is AFTER things appeared to be working fine after installing "the patch."

This really isn't causing me much of a problem on the old laptop, but I'm still holding off installing the latest version of MB on my main machines, even though they're running Win7. I feel sorry for the untold computer owners who don't have a clue why their machines quit working. This version should have been pulled weeks ago until things are straightened out.

• Staff

On two machines, I could not download Firefox extension updates if MB was running. Once I unchecked "Start with Windows," the updates proceeded to download and install normally.

Please try disabling only the Website Blocking component using the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware tray icon menu to see if that has any effect or not. If it does, then it's possible that one of the IP addresses being accessed is being blocked. We have many users of Firefox on this forum who also use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and none of them have reported such issues so far, so if you continue having problems, I highly recommend that you contact Support via this page so that they can assist you directly to figure out what the issue is and hopefully how to resolve it.

Also, the "Enable protection module" on the main MB screen is greyed out and cannot be unchecked. However, if MBAM is opened AFTER it's been "told" not to start with Windows, the "Enable protection module", starts out unchecked.

This is by design. To exit the protection module once it has been started, right-click on the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware tray icon and choose Exit. We do plan to change this behavior in the future however, so that the Protection tab in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware may also be used in order to shut down the protection module instead of just the tray.

One more thing: attempting to end "mbamservice.exe" in the Task Manager freezes the machine!

This is normal. While you may not have experienced this behavior with previous versions of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, I've personally seen this occur with almost every release. The reason being, once the protection module has been enabled, mbamservice.exe is not meant to be terminated because it runs in kernel mode. Terminating it using the Task Manager (or any other method) may lead to system instability, such as the freezing you described.

I would like to say after reading all of this, the only thing I totally disagree with is the amount of downloads vs the amount of problems. So with that said, here is the problem that everyone is having confirmed and added.

I run a business, build up and install and service computers. Have been since 1982. I install on all my systems zonealarm free or paid, whichever the person buying the system wants or if reinstalling in systems I did not build up. I have been getting calls daily and have everyone on hold that has contacted me. I also stay in touch with my Customers via Email and notified them ALL not to update Malewarebytes. Now, I am getting the same issues. These were the following steps taken from start to finish before I came in here a few weeks back and decided to wait, but not fixed yet by malewarebytes..

Installed the new Zonealarm 2012 a few weeks before mbam had their update. All running fine.

Installed malewarebytes and the system froze. Tried to uninstall and try again. Same thing.

Then came to this site and got the clean uninstall file you suggested. Well, did not work. Same issue.

Started getting phone calls from Customers that their systems froze.

Now, all systems are running windowsxp sp3 and either ZA Free or paid and mbam free or paid. The problem is only with all the paying Customers and not the free. THIS is where I disagree with your 2 million users, the free version is not crashing the system because it is not running at startup. All my Customers running the free version are fine. I might be small, but I have 703 Customers right now on hold. So when are you gonna start addressing this issue? We need a fix out here and now. If you need any information about what is installed in all the systems or whatever, please ask away if you need to. Right now I am very busy going around personally to my Customers that have bought their systems from me fixing them because they updated and are to stupid to be walked through it over the phone. I am loosing out on some money here for your problem because I do not charge them to fix a problem that is not theirs and I am going around to them all within a 120 mile raidious. Please address the issue promptly.

And again, 2 million you say? Think not. How many are stupid like I have of Customers that do not know. How many if systems froze can even access for help? How many running the free version that is working fine? It is the same program, just not activated to be enabled at startup. I would guess 90% of the people out there using software are illiterate and don't know, so take the 2 million and deduct 90%. Now you have a lot of users with problems. You cannot go by the amount of downloads.

I will be waiting a reply for a fix as soon as you can. I will check back also when I have time because on the road almost every day fixing this issue and bring them back to the older engine and not this updated one and they are fine.

Also, it is not ZA's issue, it is mbams issue. The two of you need to start figuring out what is the problem here.

• Staff

Greetings,

We currently have a public beta available which includes the fix for the Zone Alarm issue. Please see here for details.

We narrowed down the cause of the problem to the fact that the free version of Zone Alarm still uses the outdated SSDT hooking method instead of the current and far more stable filter manager API's which have been available on Windows XP since the release of Service Pack 2 in 2004. A very minor change in our own protection module, using a stable and well documented Microsoft API caused this issue to occur because apparently, the SSDT hooking method still in use in the free version of Zone Alarm does not work well with the API call that we chose. That is why users of Windows Vista and Windows 7 have not seen this particular incompatibility, because Zone Alarm does not use SSDT hooks on Windows Vista and Windows 7 since they do not work on x64 Windows versions, which are the most commonly installed versions of Vista and 7 on new PC's.

The mbam-clean.exe link seems to be broken. I even tried a few different posts in which the link is provided by different staff members/mods on this forum just to see if there was a mistake, but none of them are working.

Is there an alternate link for mbam-clean.exe or another way to access this for a clean install?

Thanks.

The mbam-clean.exe link seems to be broken. I even tried a few different posts in which the link is provided by different staff members/mods on this forum just to see if there was a mistake, but none of them are working.

Is there an alternate link for mbam-clean.exe or another way to access this for a clean install?

Thanks.

Hello Klinker,

The mbam-clean utility is at this link http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

Please folow this sequence for MBAM removal & re-install:

1) Go to Control Panel and Add-or-Remove programs.

uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Exit Control Panel

2) Logoff and restart your computer

Get, save, and then run the utility at the following link

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

3)Logoff and restart your computer again.

4)Now, reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

HTH

Hello Klinker,

The mbam-clean utility is at this link http://www.malwareby.../mbam-clean.exe

Please folow this sequence for MBAM removal & re-install:

1) Go to Control Panel and Add-or-Remove programs.

uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Exit Control Panel

2) Logoff and restart your computer

Get, save, and then run the utility at the following link

http://www.malwareby.../mbam-clean.exe

3)Logoff and restart your computer again.

4)Now, reinstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

HTH

Thanks. I tried again, but I got the same IE error message that the website would not open/is not available. Perhaps my AV settings are blocking this somehow? Not sure why it isn't working for me because I had to use it back in Dec with most recent upgrade issues and it worked then.

The whole reason I wanted to use the clean utility was because my new AV software install required that I uninstall MBAM first and since I am one of the XP users that had a problem with the new 1.6 version, I wanted to avoid any of those previous issues. As a work around to not being able to access the clean utility, I simply ran the regular uninstall through control panel and downloaded the beta version 1.6.1 since it was supposed to fix all the various issues. I successfully installed the beta version and ran a quick scan without any of the issues (crossing fingers) that I experienced with the 1.6 upgrade a few weeks ago so I think I'm o.k. without the clean utility.

Still wondering why I couldn't access the utility link you provided, but if the beta version works, I guess it wasn't necessary to run the clean utility at this time.

@ AbarC

At the next immediate opportunity, check the topmost sticky at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=104955

Get and save the zip file. Extract and apply the setup program to the system.

I am more than confident that the prior issue will now be gone.

No one is any longer debating numbers. What Exile 360 stated is the fact.

After you've done one, a report on the result would be good.

1.60.1.1000 seems to be ok for me....at least on initial launch and run.

I have 11 licensed copies of malwarebytes all running on XP SP3 machines with free Zone Alarm and Norton/Symantec Enterprise. Only one computer is "non-essential" and is my tester for this. The other 10 were either held on the old version once the first two went to hell or had the updated version removed to preserve functionality. I am sympatico with AbarC above. There is no question that Malwarebytes has been a great piece of software at a great price. I don't really mind that there was an unexpected launch problem. Stuff happens and you folks have a good record on stuff not happening. I am disappointed in the response I have witnessed though and it is, if I may say, uncharacteristic of your customer support efforts. One should not have to file individual help-desk inquiries for a non-isolated instance problem. The pinned "Possible Updating Issues" topic should have been updated daily with news and explanations. I think that would have gone a long way to placate folks including AbarC above whom I sympathize with. Something to think about if there ever is a next time.