Database not supported error

rDIx8.jpg

This happens whenever I attempt to update the database of malwarebytes on one of my PCs. The PC is running windows xp 64 bit and I've recently cleaned up a minor malware infection on it. If I download malwarebytes antispyware and run it before updating it comes back clean, as well as scans by spybot and antivirus.

Not really sure what to do about this error, I've tried searching the forum but could not find too much.

Hello and welcome to the Malwarebytes' forums.

Part 1: Run this clean up tool and allow a reboot when prompted. If this tool displays an error, continue on with reinstall please.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-clean.exe

Part 2: Install Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware by following the link below to be forwarded to one of our download mirrors (Please ignore all the ads and promotions. This download is free.).

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php

Save the file to your desktop and double-click it to begin the installation, selecting options you desire when presented.

Part 3: (Users of the free version can ignore this step) Once installed, register the software with ID and key:

There should be an Malwarebytes' icon on the desktop, double-click that to open program. If there is no icon, you can go to:

C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes Anti-Malware<<<<this folder... and double click the mbam icon in that folder

Once opened, click on the 'Register' button in the lower-left corner, and enter your ID and key.

Please make sure you are COPYING and PASTING the ID and key directly from the confirmation email into the proper fields. Please also make sure you are only including the letters and numbers and not the words ID or key. Finally, make sure you are not including additional spaces before or after the ID and Key.

If done correctly you should get it registered.

If you need your ID and key, please contact our payment processing partner - Cleverbridge:

http://www.cleverbridge.com/342/?scope=cuseco

Tech support does not have any access to, nor info pertaining to any sales\shipping\user account\registration issues.

Let us know if that solves the issue.

We are going to need some more information. Please follow the steps below to get a copy of your rules.ref file.

You will need to set your machine to see hidden files and folders.

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows XP:

* Click Start and select My Computer

* Click the Tools item from the menu at the top of the window (if you don't see Tools press the Alt key on your keyboard and it will appear)

* Select Folder Options

* Click the View tab and make sure Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

* Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

* Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known file types

* Click Apply then click OK

Show Hidden Files and Folders in Windows Vista and Windows 7:

* Click on the Start button and select Computer

* Press the Alt key on your keyboard and click on Tools

* Select Folder Options

* Click the View tab and make sure that Show hidden files and folders is selected under Hidden files and folders

* Next, uncheck the box next to Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

* Then, uncheck the box next to Hide extensions for known file types

* Click Apply then click OK

Follow this path to the rules.ref file.

XP

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Vista and Windows 7

C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Copy rules.ref file and attach it to your reply.

Then I need you to run OTL.

Download OTL to your Desktop:

http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/OTL.exe

Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.

OTL should now start. Change the following settings

Change Drivers to All

Change Standard Registry to All

Under File Scans, change File age to 30

Under the Custom Scan box paste this in

netsvcs

set /c

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.*

safebootminimal

safebootnetwork

/md5start

eventlog.dll

scecli.dll

netlogon.dll

cngaudit.dll

sceclt.dll

ntelogon.dll

logevent.dll

iaStor.sys

nvstor.sys

atapi.sys

IdeChnDr.sys

viasraid.sys

AGP440.sys

vaxscsi.sys

nvatabus.sys

viamraid.sys

nvata.sys

nvgts.sys

iastorv.sys

ViPrt.sys

eNetHook.dll

ahcix86.sys

KR10N.sys

nvstor32.sys

ahcix86s.sys

nvrd32.sys

/md5stop

%systemroot%\*. /mp /s

CREATERESTOREPOINT

%systemroot%\System32\config\*.sav

%systemroot%\system32\*.dll /lockedfiles

%systemroot%\Tasks\*.job /lockedfiles

Click the Run Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.

When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt (first run only). These are saved in the same location as OTL.

Please attach these 2 files in your next reply, along with your rules.ref file.

Please, is it that the "rules.ref" file got corrupted somehow? Or is it malware (strange)?

If so, maybe you could provide us with a link to download the file and replace it manually?

Because Malwarebytes won't start at all now!

BTW: you should provide an option to restore the previous rules definitions in case of an update going wrong because of file corruption and/or malware action. Don't you think? :)

Thank you so much Ron, that did it!

BUT:

When I tried to update within Malwarebytes, it happened again! So I was forced to revert once again to the manual rules you provided. Should I wait until the automatic update rules file changes, perhaps the current one has some issues with my particular setup? Weird since I have two PC's, and it's only happening in one, and also, it's happening in the healthiest one... :)

Also, strangest thing: right clicking to analize with Malwarebytes does not work anymore...

Thanks for your help and patience, I'm new to MBAM, it worked fine for a couple of days until this started to happen.

@ Manuel

To correct the right click issue, you can do a fresh install of Malwarebytes by following the instructions below....

Please do the following:

(Perform a clean/fresh install of Malwarebytes)

NOTE: These steps need to be performed on your computer while logged in as an Administrator.....

• Download and run mbam-clean.exe from HERE
  • It will ask to restart your computer, please allow it to do so very important
  • After the computer restarts, temporarily disable your Anti-Virus and install the latest version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HERE

• Note: You will need to reactivate the program using the license you were sent via email if using the Pro version
    • Launch the program and set the Protection and Registration. Then go to the UPDATE tab if not done during installation and check for updates.
      Restart the computer again and verify that MBAM is in the task tray if using the Pro version. Now setup any file exclusions as may be required in your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security/Firewall applications and restart your Anti-Virus/Internet-Security applications. You may use the guides posted in the FAQ's HERE or ask and we'll explain how to do it.

For de record, today I got the same problem exactly! Two days ago I updated fine, today I updated Malwarebytes and now it won't run: "The current database is not supported".

Could be a bug in the update today?

(Windows XP Pro SP3)

It could be related to a update. (see yesterdays log entry below)

I went to "Add or Remove Programs" and removed MBAM. Rebooted and installed MBAM.

MBAM Pro working fine now and all settings were saved.

Yesterdays Log:

16:00:06 MESSAGE Scheduled update executed successfully

16:00:06 MESSAGE IP Protection stopped

16:00:06 ERROR Database update failed: uncompress failed with error code 0

16:54:52 ERROR uncompress failed with error code 0

16:54:52 MESSAGE Protection stopped

16:59:31 ERROR uncompress failed with error code 0

16:59:31 MESSAGE Protection stopped

17:06:19 (null) ERROR uncompress failed with error code 0

17:06:20 (null) MESSAGE Protection stopped

17:19:01 MESSAGE Protection started successfully

17:19:05 MESSAGE IP Protection started successfully

Hello, First Post!

I updated MBam Free database on 2 computers (2)two days ago. (V.1.50.1.1100) I believe this is the latest version.

Both PC's are XP SP3. THey are kept clean and light. Have never had update issues

One PC would not update, while the other did (and has since) with no problem.

However, as mentioned earlier in this topic Mbam does not launch anymore; just same notice. I always update both computers at the same time.

But one now has this problem. B)

Is there a definitive fix for this problem as it just started out of the blue (2)Two days ago???

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,

WP

Data Base Not Supported.bmp

Hello, First Post!

I updated MBam Free database on 2 computers (2)two days ago. (V.1.50.1.1100) I believe this is the latest version.

Both PC's are XP SP3. THey are kept clean and light. Have never had update issues

One PC would not update, while the other did (and has since) with no problem.

However, as mentioned earlier in this topic Mbam does not launch anymore; just same notice. I always update both computers at the same time.

But one now has this problem. :)

Is there a definitive fix for this problem as it just started out of the blue (2)Two days ago???

Any input is appreciated.

Regards,

WP

Hi: I didn't want to let this topic die as I am still not able to use MBam on one of my 2 computers. I have tried a 'Clean Install' using 'mbam-clean'; that didn't resolve the problem. Still can't execute MBam due to continued Popup "Database not suppported...Download the latest verson of the program" My Version is 1.50.1.1100.(On Demand)

I then tried deleting "rules.ref" and letting MBam update with a new set; that hasn't resolved the issue. :)

As I mentioned all this started 5 days ago.(First post)

I am hoping that maybe a tech/mod. or 'experience' User could respond to this. Hopefully with a fix and/or some input as to "what the poblem is"?

Thanks for any help. :)

We're still looking into issues like the one you're experiencing where either deleting the file or reinstalling the software does not correct the issue. I will have one of the members of our Quality Assurance team who has been tracking these issues and trying to find the cause/solution work with you.

Thank you for your continued patience.

We're still looking into issues like the one you're experiencing where either deleting the file or reinstalling the software does not correct the issue. I will have one of the members of our Quality Assurance team who has been tracking these issues and trying to find the cause/solution work with you.

Thank you for your continued patience.

Thank you exile360: I appreciate your response. :)

I am hoping this issue can be corrected sooner rather then later.(So far its been 6 msybe 7 days since the problem began

I', sure we all miss MBam when its not functional, I know I do.

Regards :)