Version 1.45 Update Issues

Hoping some of the great Malwarebytes staff can help me out here:

Having issues updating version 1.45 as many others are. I'm somewhat technically proficient, but not a programmer or engineer by any means. I've tried to resolve this issue as others on here have suggested, including uninstalling MBAM, running the clean-up file, disabling the AV program, and re-installing MBAM to no avail. The only thing that seems to work to update the version 1.45 is to use a proxy server, which doesn't seem ideal (is it safe to update this way?).

Running Windows XP, SP3. Norton Internet Security version 16.8.0.41 with add-on pack 3.8.0.5. Firewall is the one built into Windows along with Norton's "smart firewall".

If the solution involves tinkering with the Norton AV and firewall, is it possible to give detailed instructions on how to disable the AV and firewall?

Please try to make as simple as possible. Not too comfortable getting into the "guts" of the system too much if it can be avoided.

Thanks for what has been a great product. Your support is appreciated; wasn't trying to be rude on prior posts, just fristrated after having no issues up to this point.

Hi jimmyf -

This topic <<- from the FAQ section has some detailed information for Norton users -

We hope this will assist you - If not please post back -

Thank You - :D

I've listed all the MBAM files as exclusions under the "auto-protect exclusion" section on NIS. MBAM still won't update. I think the problem may lie now with the firewall exclusions or other software firewall issue between NIS and MBAM. Is there a way to add exclusions for the firewall also? I have NIS firewall set to allow MBAM to use network. I've also tried disabling the NIS firewall temporarily and then tried updating MBAM; still no luck. Or, any other ideas? So far updating via proxy server seems only way to update.

Please also allow mbamservice.exe network access through the firewall and if Norton has any sort of web filter in NIS, add the following address to the allowed or trusted list:
data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

I added mbamservice.exe to allowed network access, but am unsure where to find any kind of possible web filter in NIS to add the address to its list. Where in NIS do you think I would find any web filter settings? I am pretty sure that there is no "parental" filtering on. Still unable to update except through proxy server. Any other suggestions?

• Root Admin

Please see if this helps.

Symantec Client Firewall:

Add URL to filter

-Open Symantec Client Firewall

-Find "status & Settings" tab - click

-Find "Client Firewall" tab - click

--Click "Configure"

-Find "Networking" tab - click

-Click Add (near bottom)

-Select the "Individually" radio button and then type in "

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com " manually type it in

-Click "ok"

-Click "ok"

Close Firewall application

I don't see anything that says "symantec client firewall", or status & settings; I think these may be instructions geared towards Norton 360--I just have Norton Internet Security. I can find a subcategory called "smart firewall" which is located under "internet settings". The categories under smart firewall are "program control, trust control, and advanced settings". Program control has Malwarebytes and mbamservice.exe listed as allowed access. I'm not sure where on NIS I can enter the web address that you have listed--any suggestions? Is there a different way to configure the firewall outside of NIS? Does the Windows firewall affect anything?

• Root Admin

Hi

Can you please expand on what you meant by

"The only thing that seems to work to update the version 1.45 is to use a proxy server, which doesn't seem ideal (is it safe to update this way?)."

If you managed to get updating working with all your AV products inplace but using a "proxy server" then maybe your problem is not related to the AV products at all

Hi

Can you please expand on what you meant by

"The only thing that seems to work to update the version 1.45 is to use a proxy server, which doesn't seem ideal (is it safe to update this way?)."

If you managed to get updating working with all your AV products inplace but using a "proxy server" then maybe your problem is not related to the AV products at all

Sorry. Please ignore. I see this info is coming from a previous post

Sorry. Please ignore. I see this info is coming from a previous post

It's Norton Internet Security year 2009. Ron Lewis, the links you provided unfortunately didn't help me find where I would enable the mbamupdates.com access past firewall. Thank you for your help; please advise further if you are able. The layout of NIS 2009 seems to be different than that of 2008 or before. There are settings for "computer", "internet" or "identity", each with its own subcategories. The "smart firewall" area is under "internet". Again, there doesn't seem to be a field to enter a web address to specifically allow access.

Thanks for your help--much appreciated!

It's Norton Internet Security year 2009. Ron Lewis, the links you provided unfortunately didn't help me find where I would enable the mbamupdates.com access past firewall. Thank you for your help; please advise further if you are able. The layout of NIS 2009 seems to be different than that of 2008 or before. There are settings for "computer", "internet" or "identity", each with its own subcategories. The "smart firewall" area is under "internet". Again, there doesn't seem to be a field to enter a web address to specifically allow access.

Thanks for your help--much appreciated!

Is there a reason why you have not upgraded to NIS 2010? I believe the upgrade is free to currently paid users of NIS 2009.

This may also help with your problem.

Is there a reason why you have not upgraded to NIS 2010? I believe the upgrade is free to currently paid users of NIS 2009.

This may also help with your problem.

I purchased NIS 2009 in 2009 and renewed my subscription through 2010. So, I am not sure if this means I have the 2010 version or 2009. In any case, virus definitions, etc. are up to date.

Thanks for the link. Will check it out. Maybe updating to 2010 version will solve all my problems with MBAM.

Thanks for the suggestion! Upgrading to NIS 2010 seems to have cured the MBAM updating issues. Hope this solution holds out. Thanks again!