what is this

MAB keeps marking this for deleteion, I tell it to go ahead and delete it but its there again each time I run MAB

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0)

What is it and should I tell MAB to ignore it from now on?

thanks

by MAB I meant Malwarebytes of course

Hello notenuffletters, and welcome to Malwarebytes.org

We don't work on Malware removal in the general forums.

Please print out, read and follow the directions here, skipping any steps you are unable to complete. Then post a NEW topic here.

One of the expert helpers there will give you one-on-one assistance when one becomes available.

After posting your new post make sure under options that you select Track this topic and choose one of the Email options so that you're alerted when someon has replied to your post.

Alternatively, as a paying customer, you can contact the help desk at support@malwarebytes.org

Greetings :)

What antivirus are you currently using? The reason I ask is because this detection simply means that for one reason or another Windows Security Center has been disabled from notifying you as to whether your AV software is running or not and some antiviruses monitor themselves so they disable the Security Center's monitoring capabilities. If you are running an AV that does this such as Norton or McAfee then you can safely have Malwarebytes' ignore this detection.

Greetings :lol:

What antivirus are you currently using? The reason I ask is because this detection simply means that for one reason or another Windows Security Center has been disabled from notifying you as to whether your AV software is running or not and some antiviruses monitor themselves so they disable the Security Center's monitoring capabilities. If you are running an AV that does this such as Norton or McAfee then you can safely have Malwarebytes' ignore this detection.

I'm running Norton so I guess it's Norton that's doing it and thats not to be worried about then. Can I update the definitions in the free version of Malwarebytes or do you need to purchase a license in order to update them? My update button is greyed out. Thanks.

Hello notenuffletters :lol:

You do not need to purchase Malwarebytes in order to update the program :)

The Check for Updates button is grayed out under the update tab? It shouldn't be. Malwarebytes is free for home use and updates with no limitations.

When replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying.

Thank you :)

Hello notenuffletters :lol:

You do not need to purchase Malwarebytes in order to update the program :)

The Check for Updates button is grayed out under the update tab? It shouldn't be. Malwarebytes is free for home use and updates with no limitations.

When replying, please use the "ADD REPLY" button when replying.

Thank you :)

Thanks for the welcomes from everyone. I don't know what to tell you, I installed the free version on both of my pcs and the update button is greyed out on both of them *shrug*

Hi

If you think that the copy of Malwarebytes has been corrupted in any way , you can follow these directions below -

Please try this on the computer that is having an issue, and follow all steps -

1. Uninstall Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware using Add/Remove programs in the control panel.

2. Restart your computer (very important).

3. Download and run this utility. mbam-clean.exe

4. It will ask to restart your computer (please allow it to).

5. After the computer restarts, install the latest version from here. mbam-setup.exe

Thank You - :lol:

EDIT - If this will not work then please follow any other advice given above - :)

This will work on all versions (free and paid)

OK, I uninstalled it, ran the cleaning program and thought it was all worked out. I was thinking it had to be installed while on an admin account so I did that and the check for updates button wasnt greyed out and it worked. Ran the program and all was well. Then I logged on to another account, a non-admin account and the button is now greyed out again. You can only update if on an admin account apparently?

ah hah!

Are you running XP, Vista, or Windows 7?

At any rate, you need to run as an adminstrator.

On XP, you need to be logged in as an administrator period.

On Vista, you can right click on malwarebytes and select "Run as administrator", type in the password, and it should update.

I am not sure about on 7, you may need to be logged into the administrator account to update from there as well (or the above directions for Vista might work). I have basically no experience with Windows 7, but my understanding is its workings is very similar to Vista with some minor changes.

ah hah!

Are you running XP, Vista, or Windows 7?

At any rate, you need to run as an adminstrator.

On XP, you need to be logged in as an administrator period.

On Vista, you can right click on malwarebytes and select "Run as administrator", type in the password, and it should update.

I am not sure about on 7, you may need to be logged into the administrator account to update from there as well (or the above directions for Vista might work). I have basically no experience with Windows 7, but my understanding is its workings is very similar to Vista with some minor changes.

Running XP, and that's just stupid. I seldom log on as admin. The reason I have a non-admin account is so I can use it daily and malware doesnt have access to things that you need to be an admin in order to mess with. This method makes me log into an admin account to update the program, which also gives admin access to any malware. They really need to re-think that.

notenuffletters,

Unfortunately that's the way XP works. There's no way around it really. It's like that for nearly ANY program that needs admin access, not just Malwarebytes :lol:

I personally think its not a big deal to log in to admin, update, then you can log into your limited account for the remainder of the day :) I understand your frustrations but again, that's the way XP works.

I don't use a limited account very often - it can break too many things sometimes and its kind of a pain. So for me, I just am careful as I can, and I have lots of protection. If I do get infected, I know where to go and what I need to do.

Try to use the "Add Reply" button though :)

It is odd :)

I haven't had much limited account XP access to be honest, but, when I tried to update Mbam on the Guest account it did not work. It acted as though it was updating, but it was the same database as it was before I went to update. A friend of mine who knows a lot more than I do about it explained to me how the limited account in XP works, and what I told you is basically what he told me.

I should make one on my computer and play with it and see what I can do so I understand it better. I dont really have any programs to test with it though - I basically have what I need.

Next time a new version of Malwarebytes comes out, I'll download it on there and see what happens :) I have the paid version though, so I'm not sure how that'll work. Ah well, I know what to do if it gets messed up :lol:

• Root Admin
What is odd is that you can install the program without being on an admin account, yet you can't update it without being on one :lol:

If you can install the program on a non admin account then the security on your system has been compromised. We write to locations that non administrators should not be allowed to write to on purpose.

You may want to review this article on resetting the security. No user without Admin rights should be allowed to update critical files and folders on the system. As you say that's why you have the other accounts and don't use Admin on purpose, otherwise Malware could just as easily delete our software while you're under the non admin account.

Please download and run the following fix from Microsoft How do I restore security settings to the default settings?

When completed please reboot your computer.