Spring 2024

NewTricks

I don't really do recipies as such, things just get thrown together as I fancy with what I have to hand.

Sauces just start with a roux of flour and fat/oil.
Currently I'll warm a tablespoon of oil in the microwave (15 secs), add one or two tablespoons of plain flour and combine, then heat again (15 secs) before adding boiling water (quarter to half a pint), stir, bring back to a plopping boil (1-2 mins), stir again then leave to stand and thicken.
That's the base for any sauce.
Then I'll add in the flavourings, herbs, and spices, and more water/stock to the consistency that I want, bring back to the boil and then stand until wanted and reheat then. (or portion up and freeze).

Sorry but I don't usually keep much track of quantities, I go by what things look/feel like at each stage.
Even with baking I rarely measure quantitles unless it's for something in particular, like when I was refining that no-yeast Focaccia, and for cakes of course.

I'm playing with thermos cooking at the moment, rice, pulses, pasta, etc. cooked in a thermos flask rather that on a constant simmer.
It's a more economical way of cooking them. Put them in a thermos with boiling water, close the top. shake and lay it on it's side for 15-30 minutes for rice and most pastas.
Spaghetti sticks out the top of the thermos to start with, but after 5 mins in boiling water the bottom has softened enough so that you can push it down and close the top.
Today will be thermos spaghetti with a beef curry sauce I made last week and froze in portions.
(I've not tried cooking Pearl Barley in the thermos yet, it does expand up to 5x when cooked so I'd expect a pressure build up which could get messy on opening. Probably best to only half fill with boiling water).

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 2

I don't think a BBQ sauce, which is usually applied to ribs and other meat, is based on a starch or milled grain.

Molasses or Brown Sugar or a combination of both and a vinegar, such as Balsamic or Apple Cider, to start.

Tomato paste.

A puree of fruit like Plums or Mango.

Spices like some form of Chile Pepper.

Another variation may be a sweet and savory Mole based upon traditional Mexican ingredients and either Molasses or Brown Sugar.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Edited for content, clarity, spelling and/or grammar
  • Like 2

On 4/9/2024 at 11:37 PM, AdvancedSetup said:

Probably 85+ tomorrow

Happy birthday. 🤣 
Is that probably 85, or probably tomorrow? Shame when the memory goes with age.

(Quoting out of context can be fun).

Edited by nukecad
  • Haha 2

On 4/10/2024 at 6:26 AM, nukecad said:

Currently I'll warm a tablespoon of oil in the microwave (15 secs), add one or two tablespoons of plain flour and combine, then heat again (15 secs) before adding boiling water (quarter to half a pint), stir, bring back to a plopping boil (1-2 mins), stir again then leave to stand and thicken.
That's the base for any sauce.

Wow! This is a unique method. I'll try it.

On 4/10/2024 at 6:26 AM, nukecad said:

I'm playing with thermos cooking at the moment,

Adventurous! I didn't know there was such a thing. Kind of brings to mind a "mad scientist."  When it comes to clean up, you might try Bottle Bright. I've used it for over a year now and always does the job.

@David H. Lipman, I just bought a pound of brown sugar because I can't get it in anything smaller. It will last over a year and I'm looking for ways to store it. I've used a thin plastic bakery sheet under a screw top lid. That works 85%. How about freezing in small packages?

Photo.jpg

BottleBright.jpg

I'm cutting back on sugars. You've turned me into a FANATIC label reader. A good thing! My focus? Salt and sugar.

Biggest accomplishment this week? Two days without caffeine, in any form. B..bbb...bbb...bbbb things are going g..gre..a..at.

• Haha 1

LOL.

cup-of-coffee-884122.gif.58af893e7d7811252a0b104756592d92.gif

Drink Tea instead.  Less caffeine and its raw, not roasted.  Just allowed to oxidize.

My Mom brought this Tea in the US from their visit in Peru.  For some oddball reason, I don't think they were allowed to do it...

2006215399_CocaTea.thumb.jpg.60f42e36611cdbd3200909034d1a9d1b.jpg1790175215_CocaTea1.thumb.jpg.41f0d308e1ff25cbb8b27aa85b872970.jpg

2 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

Less caffeine and its raw, not roasted.  Just allowed to oxidize.

I thought caffeine was caffeine. No difference except the amount in mg.

Any food brought from other countries has the potential to contain living organisms which in turn could enter the food chain somewhere. I studied a tiny bit about that issue.

That tea looks like it's trying to be cocoa and missed.

Yes, less mg of Caffeine per cup.  Thus allowing you to enjoy more of a hot beverage with less side effects.  Plus all the antioxidants of the flavonoid group of polyphenols.

That's what my mother thought - It was Cocoa.  NO. 

Mate de Coca is the chopped leaves of the Coca plant from which Cocaine HCL is derived.  It is legal in Peru and several other South American countries but it is illegal in the US. 

To think - My parents were Drug Smugglers !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, David H. Lipman said:

from which Cocaine HCL is derived

YES! 🔼🔼🔼 I don't want any posts banned so I won't type that word!!!! No wonder it had all those "restorative properties."

Well, as they say, even if your parents WERE  *drug*smugglers*  you still "turned out" OK.

So...  Drink Tea.  Even herbals with less or no Caffeine such as Ginger. 

I like a combo of Ginger and regular Tea or Tadin Ginger Tea Blend.  Also The Republic of Tea has an organic Tumeric and Ginger tea.  One of my favourites is Wissotzky Rosehips and Hibiscus.

Great ways to have sugar free drinks.

• Like 1

Just setup my flowtron bug zapper BK80! time to fry some mosquitoes! Sometimes if you get a big enough bug inside it they catch fire and smoke off the electrical grid it's like watching the 4th of july in your back yard on a hot summer day L0L. they are cool here is how it works in action [not my video but shows how effective the device is.]   https://www.youtube.com/shorts/_1Khvineq2Q

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

I have one but it barely works. After being outdoors for 3 months there are a few dozen very very small flying insects

Flowtron is the best brand you can get. Is it a flowtron zapper? If so try blowing it out with an air compressor/leaf blower if stuck bugs are on the metal grid it could prevent it from working 100%. Also a replacement of bulbs might help depending on how old they are. 

Edited by brad03