Spring 2024

NewTricks

James Clavell is a great author! He survived hell in a Japanese POW camp.  From wikipedia:

Imprisoned in Changi

Shot in the face,[5] he was captured in Java in 1942 and sent to a Japanese prisoner of war camp on Java. Later, he was transferred to Changi Prison in Singapore.[6]

In 1981, Clavell recounted:

Changi became my university instead of my prison. Among the inmates there were experts in all walks of life—the high and the low roads. I studied and absorbed everything I could from physics to counterfeiting, but most of all I learned the art of surviving, the most important course of all.[5]

Prisoners were fed a quarter of a pound (110 g) of rice per day, one egg per week and occasional vegetables. Clavell believed that if atomic bombs had not been dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki he would not have survived the war.[5]

An inspiration and example of resilience.

• Like 1

ZOUNDS! My laurels were pulled out from under me 45 minutes after my self-congratulatory post, WINDOWS UPDATE FAILED. 🤣

No problem. It only proves my theory of repeatability. I am not talking about luck, cosmic alignment or any "woo-woo" but something curious I've observed over time which has proven true. These are the conditions under which it happens.

• First, The computer must have been sitting idle for at lest 30 minutes. No activity whatsoever.
  • Second, the screen is dark, but not in the sleep state.
  • Third, I grab the mouse and start to use it, the screen springs to life
  • Fourth, the mouse functions fail-no left click, no right click no nothing, except the cursor on the screen
  • Fifth, I enter cntrl/alt/delete for menu of choices
  • Sixth, I sign off, then on again
  • Seventh, I regain full mouse functions and the "event" is recorded (sometime within this little dance)

Every single time  7 total   I experience numbers 1-6, this is the scenario, with various flavors. Explorer stopped working, Operating system stopped working (simultaneously or singly) occasionally Snipping tool stops working.

To be fair and impartial, I can eliminate Windows update because those updates happen every 12 hours. If I happen to "surprise" the Dell close to a post idle time, shortly before that second update of the day, BOOM, a critical event occurs.

So, I don't worry about it any more. I think of Windows 11 like one of those insecure miniature dog breeds that go crazy barking if anything surprises them. You let "sleeping dogs" and toddlers lie.

I still cherish the positive feedback, and hope we can do that again!

If you can remember Win 10 was the same, it took 3 or 4 years to settle down as they worked out the early bugs (and W10 still does surprising things even after almost 10 years).

PS. Are you letting the Power Settings in Widows 11 turn your devices off to save power?

Posted (edited)

I went from Windows 7 to 11, never experienced 10.

If it's going to take that long to have things "settle down", then my expectations will be adjusted.

Edit: went back into Power options, Screen and Sleep. I had selected NEVER for putting my device to sleep and 1 hour for the screen to sleep. Changed that to never as well. I'll see it that improves the situation.

I know you didn't specifically suggest it, but it does eliminate those sudden wake up's. Curiously enough, when I choose sleep, this never happens.

Edited by NewTricks
typo

Sorry, I wasn't clear there - I was actually meaning the Power Management in Device Manager.
It should be off, but changing power settings elsewhere (or running an optimisation/tweaking tool) can enble it without you knowing.
If it is turning your mouse off then it may not be coming back on properly or fully, which is what you describe.

image.png.c04f3bdc2a9a74a60d7b44f4bdf55a22.png

Edited by nukecad
  • Thanks 1

Still wet and windy most of the time, with the odd break in the clouds.

There's an old saying in Northern England: "Ne'er cast a clout till May's out".
'Clout' is dialect and refers to clothing, but 'May' is not refering to the end of the month as you might think.
It's original meaning was the Hawthorn (May Tree) blossom coming out, which can be anywhere April-June.
https://www.ywt.org.uk/blog/jon-traill/ner-cast-clout-till-may-out

The Cherry blosom is falling at the moment and is all over the streets; being blown and tracked into houses and shops as usual.

My own little blue flowers are very few at the moment, it's putting it's efforts into foliage growth and shooting up.
I've already had to cut some back to get to my gas meter which is in a cabinet at the side of that bed, and I'm eyeing giving the whole thing a trim.

• Like 1