Spring 2024

NewTricks

1 minute ago, David H. Lipman said:

Your tree bark photos have appeal.  

These will have PLENTY. Very different from my usual. I walked into a new place this afternoon & saw lots of potential. Very wet soggy ground, so I'll wear my crud shoes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My only problem is going to be purging old photos to make room for the new

This week's backup added 78 new files & took a whopping 5 minutes longer. I can see I'm im trouble. 😟  

Edited by NewTricks
Typo

Getting back to bug zappers;

You should get some of these, endless fun chasing them - and excercise too.
Once you get one everbody wants a go with it.
zapper.jpg.7a76fe17fda3c31d3f82c951da451cc8.jpg

@NewTricks for your surplus of dark sugar, have you ever heard of a British traditional Bonfire toffee?

We also call it Treacle toffee, and it was a must have with our 5th November Gunpowder Plot bonfires.
Yes we still celebrate someone trying to blow up out parliament, but nowadays it tends to be more organised firework shows rather than the millions of small bonfires each shared by several families like we used to do.

Warning- It's a hard toffee, you can make a softer version but that can tend to stick your jaws together, not recommended for denture wearers.
https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/bonfire-toffee

In the North West of England another bonfire night staple was Black Peas, (AKA Pigeon peas, AKA Maple peas).
https://www.thespruceeats.com/lancashire-black-peas-and-vinegar-434956

Both of those are 'good tackle' as we say up North, and not just for bonfire night.

PS. Pigeon peas because the dried uncooked peas are fed to racing pigeons, a popular hobby in the North of England and the peas were widely and cheaply available in quantity.

Edited by nukecad

@nukecad thanks for the tips! There's a patio here & every time I go out, especially at night, I wish I had one!

Never heard of Treacle toffee, but not surprising for an American. Very curious history with it however. Imagining small families bonfires is appealing, the emphasis is on small. Safety first, then fun.

The toffee recipe has golden syrup as an ingredient. That brings up a foggy memory. One site description: "It has a deep caramelized, buttery flavor and has been a kitchen staple in Great Britain for over a century." I'm definitely a caramelized buttery flavor fan. For instance, salted caramel coffee. I have my own teeth, so dentures aren't a problem, but intentionally giving these old chompers a workout is not preferable. As is, I go to the dentist 4 times a year.

It appears that brown sugar based recipes are tops in GB.

Thanks for the links! I don't know if TheSpruce.com and TheSpruceEats.com are owned by the same people. I love TheSpruce.com site because it's so incredibly clear. Likewise the black peas and vinegar recipe is easy to follow.

"good tackle" 😆 

A while ago I was in TJ Maxx and noticed a silicone steam insert-I thought of you. How did you latest Thermos experiment turn out?

I was sick overnight, so not sure I'll get out today. From inside I see all the local trees BURSTING with buds and leaves, so perhaps that's an alternative. Steady rain is holding the pollen conditions in check.

Is there rain your way @David H. Lipman? I know, I know, I don't even need to ask. 💦💦💦

21 hours ago, NewTricks said:

Imagining small families bonfires is appealing, the emphasis is on small. Safety first, then fun.

How did you latest Thermos experiment turn out?

Not that small, and often not that safe.
But it was a good way to get rid of unwanted furniture etc once a year, sit on it for a while enjoying the party then chuck it on the fire.
Lots of lovely poisonous fumes from the foam fillings back in those days.

The hospital emergency departments and the fire brigade were always on full standby and always busy.
Many people got burned, and many building fires started each year.
Perhaps surprisingly for a whole nation all having bonfires at once loss of life was uncommon, but did happen occasionally.

Remember this was back in the 1960's and 70's only 20 years after WW2 and people were still a bit blase about fires and explosives (and injury or death).
If you injured or killed yourself that was your own stupid fault for not being more careful.

All reasons why the tradition has tended to die out and now it's more organised larger events, but they are not the same fun.

I did thermos spaghetti again for tea last night. (Mini meatballs, tomato. onion, garlic, and oregano sauce).

I have now done pearl barley in the thermos, there was a bit of pressure generated but not as much as I expected. Thinking about it the barley swells because it absorbs the water so there isn't too much of a volume change.
It did take a couple of hours to get it how I like, but that's just 2 hrs sat in the thermos with no effort from me.
It also takes at least that long done by other methods too which use more energy*.

Once cooked I added some milk and powdered ginger, zapped it for 30 seconds in the microwave and sprinkled with sugar to make a very tasty dessert. (Golden syrup would have been nice instead of the sugar, but I don't have any in at the moment).

*I'm on a 'small easy ways to reduce energy usage' search as part of a special group on an energy suppliers forum. I'm a 'Plan Zero Hero' there, one of 14 in the group.
If everyone in the country can save just quarter to half a kWh each time they cook their evening meal then that soon adds up to a lot of energy that doesn't need to be generated each evening and less strain on the distribution network so they don't have to fire up the fossil fuel power stations as often.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 2

Yesterday I signed up for a 30 day Fastmail trial. When that expires it will be around $60 per year, without bells and whistles. Leo Notenbaum of @askleo made some good points with recommendations for choosing a paid email provider, the top one being the level of support.  And true to form, he was right! 

My first task was importing my calendar(s) from Gmail. I managed it after 3 tries and then saw that the day of the week started with MONDAY. 😕 After I looked where I expected the setting to be, scoured the web for answers, I sent my first 'ticket" to support. 

Lo and behold, I received a reply in 3 hours, from a  person who has the same first name as I do! what are the odds! 😁 I always get a kick out of that. I'm now using the new address for two sites which get heavy use and SURPRISE! Instantaneous "callback" details. So far, so good. 

6 minutes ago, NewTricks said:

<snip>

Lo and behold, I received a reply in 3 hours, from a  person who has the same first name as I do! what are the odds! 😁 I always get a kick out of that. I'm now using the <snip>

Talk about - "what are the odds!"

I was supporting one of my personnel as he was on the phone with an internal corporate portal Agent.  He had to validate who he was to have his portal account reset. 

I was really surprised - Why was he giving the Agent MY BIRTH DATE ?

Turns out he was born in a Hospital 7 miles away from the Hospital I was born at within an aprox. 11 hours time frame !

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, nukecad said:

Remember this was back in the 1960's and 70's only 20 years after WW2 and people were still a bit blase about fires and explosives (and injury or death).
If you injured or killed yourself that was your own stupid fault for not being more careful.

Yes. A lot of difference attitudes and perspectives back then. If you're not breathing in billowing toxic fumes from burning foam, perhaps you had a Dad that built a playhouse completely out of asbestos board? Asthma? Can't image how. 

I've been curious about why you are doing thermos cooking, but if you are  

8 hours ago, nukecad said:

I'm a 'Plan Zero Hero'

then naturally, you'd have to pave new roads and techniques! I don't own a thermos right now, but if I did, I'd go for a wide mouth. This opens up a  new way of energy use, planning and eating. Here I just thought you were a "foodie" but you're a pioneer!  

Keep it going and share your best "recipes."

It's mainly just making people think about how/where they are using too much energy.

A good example is the number of people doing a 2-3 hour hot wash for clothes that have only been worn once or twice.

When you point out to them that their machine has a 30min @ 30 deg.C programme for a reason, and that it only uses about 1/5 of the electricty (so only 1/5 of the cost) they soon change their ways and only use the long hot washes when they are actually needed for heavier soiling.

Typically water comes in at 20 degC, so it takes twice as much energy to heat it to 40 than to 30, 4x as much to 60, 7x as much to 90 for a 'boil wash'.
Plus the longer cycles are empting/filling more times and that heating has to be done everytime they refill.
It isn't difficult to explain how you can save energy and so money with an 'economy' short lower temperature wash when that is all that's really needed for worn once clothing.

It's no use the manufactureres of washing machines and detergents doing their bit to enable you to use less energy if you then just ignore it.

(And don't get me started about dishwashers with their 3-4 hour cycles - wash them by hand you lazy *?!, it saves power and will save you money).

Appealing to peoples pockets is a good way to get them out of lazy habits.
The recent large spike in energy costs here has helped to get everyone thinking more carefully about what they use, and even though energy prices have come down again they are still higher than 2 or 3 years ago.

Edited by nukecad

@nukecad  we think alike in energy saving methods. 

Don't forget incandescent bulbs.  I've replaced all but the oven bulb (interior temperature gets too for for them) including the Microwave and Refrigerator.

Look at the Watts per Lumen ratio and the colour temperature expressed in degrees kelvin.  For the bathroom I prefer 5000 Deg K but for regular lighting 2500~3500 Deg K bulbs which has a colour temperature closer to that of familiar incandescent filaments.

For example I had a foyer chandelier that used 4 x 25W candelabra based incandescent bulbs for a total of 100W.  I replaced them with 0.5W candelabra based LEDs for a total of 2W.  A kitchen chandelier uses 3 x 40W candelabra based incandescent bulbs for a total of 120W.  I replaced them with 3.5W candelabra based LEDs for a total of 10.5W.

The upfront cost of LEDs is more but you consume less power and the upside is that LEDs generate less heat.  Incandescent bulbs are wasteful in the fact that most of their wattage consumption is wasted in heat generation.  So that 3.5W LED (instead of 40W) will also not create heat inside the Fridge as well as all the other bulbs that don't generate a lot of heat that has to be then compensated by air conditioning in the summer months.

I use cold water for most laundry cycles.

Unfortunately, I prefer my water heater to actually put out Hot Water so it is set to ~130 Deg F so insulating around the water heater helps to hold the heat in the tank.  Many talk about instant, tankless, hot water heaters.  However you MUST filter and prepare the water before it reaches the instant hot water heater.  If not calcium and other mineralization will clog it up and it will soon become a problematic unit.

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

wash them by hand you lazy *?!,

🤣 You are singing my song! Even Penny, who has 4 kids at home and a dishwasher, refuses to use hers. 

With the new programmable washing machines, or even OLD ones, I can't imagine how one could DO a 2-3 hour hot wash cycle. If it's that bad, hose it off outside! After a 7 month wait, we are finally getting new washing machines here. Installation is today! They hadn't been updated in 20 years. Let your imagination run wild! Add people with 🐕 who never cleaned out anything and you get the picture. 

I agree totally, we need new awareness about our energy consumption. Then action. For each and every "little" activity throughout the day. I once did a test for how much leaving the computer on overnight cost me per month. It was $5. I had an energy auditor in here and tested the load on various appliances.

I'm keen on recycling and encouraging others to do the same. I suppose I go to unreasonable lengths because I visited my local landfill's "open house" and saw the ways machines deal with our trash.  I also consider the threat to wildlife with careless disposal. 

49 minutes ago, David H. Lipman said:

I use cold water for most laundry cycles.

👍

I've tried and tried to love LED's Dave. But the color balance has me hostage. Theoretically, yes you can get them closer to a warmer temp, but they are not offered where I live. That doesn't mean I still  use incandescent.