Spring 2024

NewTricks

Brand new, but not yet programmed to accept money on pre paid cards. 😠

Dumped $25 onto a pristine card, the machine said: please call for service.

3 young guys installed 9 machines today & forgot that little activation detail. 

It will all work out in a couple days, but my soap & vinegar is going to be a surprise for whoever uses that machine. 

• Like 1

I bought a dozen 8.5 watt lightbulbs (Amazon) back in 2020 and replaced every bulb in the house with them.
When I moved in 2021 I took them all with me, swapping the incandescents that were the new place back to the old. (I wouldn't just leave it without any bulbs).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07YZ65Z18/
(They are now cheaper than I paid in 2021)
It says 60W equivalent on there, but personally I'd say they are equavalent to a 100W pearl incandescent. They do Edison screw versions as well for the US market.
In those 4 years only one of the 12 has failed, and I still have 2 unused yet. So they have paid for themselves many times over.

I now use a remote controlled rechargeble wall light in my living room, I've had it since November.
On the low brightness setting it will last about a week between charges
(I now leave it connected to a switched wall charger and just flick the charger on/off when needed. Previously I hung a Power bank from the mounting ball and would get 4 full charges from that before I had to recharge the PB).
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0CH2JWDG8/

@NewTricks LEDs have the same colour as 'normal' lightbulbs these days, although you can get different colour temperatures, some have adjustable tones to suit your mood, my wall light does.

Edited by nukecad
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

They are now cheaper than I paid in 2021)

@nukecad, Good to know! I've taken my better bulbs with me on each move too. That little detail lets me know I'm not alone in my habits.

6 hours ago, nukecad said:

I now use a remote controlled rechargeble wall light in my living room

Wow, wow, wow! That definitely gets me jazzed with a reasonable cost, simple installation and LOTS of modes and temps. I can see that replacing some clunky old desk-lamps I've picked up over time. First stop, over my ancient Win7 which likes to create 🙃 One by one I figure out solutions, but some remain unsolved.

Thanks for the heads up on lighting upgrades.

The laundry saga is now concluded.

Machines were activated today, but not without some confusion. The card instructions include graphics to "tap" in front a a small screen.

Although a slot exists, it does not read, except to emit error messages.

The card reading is completely arbitrary and the technique is yet to be mastered. The dry time is now 45 minutes, not an hour. On ta positive note, the temperature is now reasonable, not hot enough to burn the fingers and destroy clothes.

I used a normal cold wash, yet when I opened the machine, my clothes were very warm. I wonder why this is. I'll have to call, since this same thing happened at Penny's house last year with brand new LG units. They ruined a pair of hand knit socks.

Now, the kicker. I reluctantly downloaded the app to access the payment options in case I either lost my card or didn't want to put the minimum $5 on it. After some hoopla, I discovered the free wash/dry "reward" for using the app was "claimed" just by clicking through to the page it was on.
I was NOT going to pay $1.75 after $25 was on the card anyway. So, today I cancelled the app. I chose to list the reason as "defrauded from free complimentary services."

An hour later, a new email came in, enticing me back with an offer of a $30 GIFT CARD from a third party provider! 🤣🤣🤣I guess they do read reasons for quitting.

I didn't bite, but they wanted me to. Then two companies would have my email address! I'll live with the old way, and put money on the card.

0416241233~3.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NewTricks said:

Wow, wow, wow! That definitely gets me jazzed with a reasonable cost, simple installation and LOTS of modes and temps. I can see that replacing some clunky old desk-lamps I've picked up over time.

If you do get one then here's a tip for the self-adhesive mounting.

Clean the wall, they say alcohol but just a damp cloth to get any dust off then let it dry is sufficent - unless you have greasy walls.
When sticking it up press to the wall with your fingers for about 5-10 mins, or as long as you can stand.
The adhesive is designed to work best at body temperature, which your fingers provide.

I've put mine on a matte painted wall, just a wipe with a damp cloth and let dry, and it's pretty firmly stuck there.
Plenty to support that quite heavy power bank as well as the light itself, so the reviews that say theirs doesn't stick must be doing it wrong.

I have it about a 18" down from the ceiling, above my couch, usually shining up to bounce off and give a spread that lights the whole room sufficiently.
I can swivel it to point down if I want a more focused light for reading.
As you can see I got a long USB-C charging lead so I don't have to take it down to charge, even though that's easy enough with the magnetic ball mount.
(You can also see one of my 8.5W LED bulbs here. There are 2 in that room both on the one switch (it's the same in the kitchen) which seems overkill but does eliminate any shadows).

20240417_095519.thumb.jpg.5d6404e5037ae726df61f56f61b1b9bf.jpg

3 hours ago, nukecad said:

The adhesive is designed to work best at body temperature, which your fingers provide.

Thank you for the advice and tips. I found this yesterday within the US for only a dollar more. Excellent tip about the magnetic ball mount. Knowing those details in advance bring me closer to buying and using it.

For those in rented spaces which we can't control 100%, it's worthwhile to have upgrade ideas.

Have a good day @nukecad

12 hours ago, digmorcrusher said:

3 days ago it started snowing and hasn't stopped since

So sorry about that @digmorcrusher that crushes the spirit. 💔  A significant amount, especially this "late." Whatever buds and flowers appeared before then are now done for. 

My friend in Calgary reports temps below freezing. 

[Just a warning here, I plan on a shutter spree today, more images will be coming. My apologies in advance.] 

25 minutes ago, digmorcrusher said:

Nah, we'll be ok, its not unusual to get snow here this time of year or even sometimes in May, not many buds and zero flowers yet.

I guess Normal for those 10+ Degrees difference in Latitude. 

One must adapt the Attitude to the Latitude.   winky1.gif.b22977923d35436f09a4a9e6cb789279.gif

Like this....

Edited by David H. Lipman
  • Haha 2

A teeny tiny bit. But if I'm really serious, I'll go for a muddy hike!

Getting up from a crouch is not so easy anymore......

Trouble is, since I'm sleeping better, I'm not raring to go at 5:30 and that's when I should be getting out and about.

• Root Admin

Yes, as we get older it is more difficult to get up. Though I can lift 1,300 lbs. in leg press, it still has just a little bit of pain when I first go to get up. I have no idea how much it will hurt a decade from now if I'm still around.

4 minutes ago, AdvancedSetup said:

Though I can lift 1,300 lbs. in leg press

I suppose I can try to look up what this means, but I'd rather you tell me. 

My inability to get up when I'm down couldn't compare. Inactivity throughout the COVID years did me in. 

But I've been thinking about your comment all afternoon and see something right in front of my nose. Yes, when I go out, wander around and take photos it is a very enjoyable way to exercise, and although I can do the gym, or pool laps, nothing compares to being out with my camera. ☺️