Malwarebytes 3.5.1 not updating definitions... again

Still on XP (SP3) and running on legacy version 3.5.1.
The exact symptoms described on the following threads have returned again.  In other words, definitions updates failed and "check for updates" appeared instead of "Downloading/Applying" etc, as well as the "Red Triangle" warning:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/278282-resolved-legacy-3512522-sudden-red-triangle-your-updates-are-not-current/
https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/230995-malwarebytes-not-updating/

The last successful definitions update operation was on Monday Sep 25.
After that the Update package version is stuck at 1.0.31231

Before this latest incident, the same issue happened again a few weeks ago, but was fixed the next day after such issue was discovered.

Did MB change server settings such that version 3.5.1 now cannot establish a connection and such?  Or, the server is temporarily down for whatever reason?

Can someone please investigate and issue fixes?
Thank you

• Root Admin

I'm not sure what the official word on this will be yet. The team is reviewing.

Microsoft ended support for Windows XP back in 2014 over 9 years ago

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-xp

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-xp-support-has-ended-47b944b8-f4d3-82f2-9acc-21c79ee6ef5e

image.png

It truly would be best to invest in PC hardware that can run at least Windows 10 - between used and refurbished there are some very inexpensive solutions out there

Thanks for that, those of us who still use Windows XP on legacy machines, for whatever reason,  are well-used to being told that we shouldn't be still doing it!

If and when Malwarebytes drops pattern file downloads for version 3.5.1, we will all accept it of course, we're very lucky to have had a working security program on XP for so long, but I think we have always assumed that when and if this facility is dropped, it won't suddenly stop at some arbitrary time with no prior warning given.

I have two XP machines, both are on pattern file 1.0.31231.

One of them says it's fine, and if I do a manual update check, it says 'Checking' and then says 'Current' as I would expect.
The other machine says the pattern is out of date, and shows a red exclamation mark triangle on the tray icon.
If I do a manual update on that machine, it says 'Checking' and then just goes back to 'Check for updates' again without doing anything.

So, the system is presumably actually working, but on some machines and not others!
🤔

• Root Admin
5 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

So, the system is presumably actually working, but on some machines and not others!

If that were true it would be something that is setup differently between your machines. We have no way to update one and not the other on the same network

As others have also said updates have stopped I will assume our servers are no longer handing out rule updates.

The team is reviewing - we'll have to wait and see what they have to say

Thank you

Thanks @AdvancedSetup!

I'm sure all machines are served equally of course, and always have been, but it's strange that one of my machines isn't now working to get updates, and the other one is, and others have reported similar problems now too.

Yes, it could well be a setup problem that other installations might well have as well, but how do you troubleshoot this, bearing in mind that IIRC there is no technical support for version 3.5.1 now?
🤔

1 minute ago, Dave-H said:

but it's strange that one of my machines isn't now working to get updates, and the other one is, and others have reported similar problems now too.

It probably has to do with certificates. Some XP computers do not always have the new cert protocol needed for the updates to work.

I wonder...

Could a STunnel Proxy be used between MBAM v3.51 and Malwarebytes' servers?

Then maybe OpenSSL can be used to make the secure connection such that STunnel listens for Malwarebytes and STunnel communicates with the Malwarebytes' related servers.

Hmmmmmm.gif.c1e10be788c2c8c5d4fbf3f2f0352d20.gif

Well I never, it's working again now!

I'm now on version 1.0.31233.

I guess it was a temporary problem after all, but it's still puzzling why one of my machines was acting differently from the other.

As 1.0.31231 was the current pattern at the time, and both machines said they had it, the problem with the faulty machine wasn't that it couldn't download any updates, it was actually that it didn't recognise that the pattern file it had wasn't actually out of date.

Edited by Dave-H
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Updating seems to have failed again here. Can anyone confirm?

Hi Dave-H:

This appears to be a known issue for all Malwarebytes users. See AdvancedSetup's post today in Arsenal123's 08-Oct-2023 malwarebytes is up to date confirming that Malwarebytes is working on a fix.

According to Settings | About my Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.4 definition updates haven't been updated since Update Package v1.0.76039 was delivered at 7:24 AM on 08-Oct-2023.

MBv4_6_4SettingsAboutUpdatePackage1_0_76039TwoDaysOld6AM08Oct2023.png.240105dfd12299b0a6de6ab1e5f2980b.png

------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3448 * Firefox v118.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.4.286-1.0.2163 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279

Edited by lmacri
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave-H said:

Updating seems to have failed again here. Can anyone confirm?

Hi Dave_H:

AdvancedSetup just posted in Arsenal123's malwarebytes is up to date that Malwarebytes should be updating again, and I can confirm that my Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.4 just auto-updated from Update Package v1.0.76030 to v1.0.76041 about 15 minutes ago.
------------
Dell Inspiron 5584 * 64-bit Win 10 Pro v22H2 build 19045.3448 * Firefox v118.0.1 * Microsoft Defender v4.18.23090.2008-1.1.23090.2007 * Malwarebytes Premium v4.6.4.286-1.0.2163 * Macrium Reflect Free v8.0.7279