Finding key for reinstalling Malwarebytes Premium

I have a computer that a customer was given.  It looks like the Malwarebytes software engine has not been updated in years.  This appears to be a lifetime license.  The version of Malwarebytes now is 2.1.6.1022.  I can see the Identifier but I cannot see the key.  It just has asterisks.  I want to update the software but it says that I have to uninstall this old version.  If I do that I am thinking that the Identifier and Key will be lost.  Is there any way to get this Key so that I can just deactivate this copy and then reinstall using that Identifier and Key?  This is a WIndows 10 64 bit computer.  Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Even if you uninstall the software, the key should remain.  That said, if the license was transferred to the user then they should register by signing up at My.Malwarebytes.com by following the instructions in this support article and once they have created an account they will be able to look up their license key, deactivate it to move it to another system or to reinstall the OS, and they can keep track of where it is active/installed.  Please refer to this support articlethis support article and this support article for further info with regards to lifetime keys and managing licenses.

You should be able to uninstall Malwarebytes 2.x, restart the system, then install the latest version of Malwarebytes and it should find the key automatically and attempt to activate.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks

3 hours ago, exile360 said:

You should be able to uninstall Malwarebytes 2.x, restart the system, then install the latest version of Malwarebytes and it should find the key automatically and attempt to activate.

I would not trust it, It might loose the key and not have the needed info to prove ownership etc. for support to get it back.

I still have the old tool to pull the key from the old version. I can upload it but in this section of the forum, the user will not be able to download it.

Edited by AdvancedSetup
removed file

1 hour ago, IdahoMike said:

I have a computer that a customer was given. 

It is quite possible that the person that gave them the computer is now using that KEY and ID on their new computer and wants to keep ownership of his/her lifetime license.  They may have forgotten to deactivate it on that computer they gave away.

The computer that was given to this customer should be wiped of any personal files and software from the previous owner.

• Root Admin

If the user has or had a legitimate license they should have an email for it. You can transfer the license but that requires the entire license be transferred not just have the software running.

Please contact our Helpdesk if needed and one of our support Agents can assist you further.

Thank you