Beta 1.0.927 installation problems

Thank you for the feedback.

When you initially encountered an issue, did you find that clicking "Install" to an update prompt had no effect and did nothing? If so, we have a defect filed for this.

I rebooted my PC and it re-installed MB.

Could you clarify what you mean by "it"? Was this a manually initiated reinstallation?

The logs mentioned in the post above will help provide clarity.

Normally i never have problems with Malwarebytes whatsoever. I had Malwarebytes 4.0.1.56 installed and new beta what not yet downloaded. On my other computers no problem, but on my big desktop today some problems.

I did click check for updates, have a popup that say a new version is available do you want to install it? I click accept, get the install screen menu and let it install with a click on next. While this is busy on 10% i get again an popup that a new version is ready to be installed, and question if i want to update. I think lets wait a little, an install is busy. But after 10 minutes it's still on 10% installing. So i click again yes download and install new version, install screen menu, click accept... But no glory installer stalls on 10% doing nothing. A look in Task Manager and i see Malwarebytes setup in memory using 0.2% cpu time doing nothing. Icon from malwarebytes is still visible in the taskbar, when i hover over with mouse it says version 4.0.1.56. So i click on Quit Malwarebytes, the icon disappear, but the installer keeps doing nothing. In Taskmanager i ended the task 32 bit malwarebytes installer. then without any protection activated, i restart my pc and after this Malwarebytes started up with the new version 4.1.1.71 installed.

Strange what exactly happened. But there is still something not right with the installer i think. And no i have no other antivirus programs installed, just windows defender and no vpn service active. The only things that startup automatic are Corsair iCUE, Nvidia control panel,Gigabyte Extreme Gaming engine and VMware Workstation Pro services.

having been prompted to install the latest beta, everything seemed fairly straight forward, but i do remember clicking install a couple of items that did look like duplicate setup prompts. 

after the install, checking MWB taskbar icon, it did still state 4.0.1, web protection was off and i couldn't toggle any of the services. exiting MWB and restarting MWB, everything was working again and showed as 4.1.1 in the taskbar. 

On 5/27/2020 at 2:14 PM, LiquidTension said:

Thank you for the feedback.

When you initially encountered an issue, did you find that clicking "Install" to an update prompt had no effect and did nothing? If so, we have a defect filed for this.

Could you clarify what you mean by "it"? Was this a manually initiated reinstallation?

When malwarebytes didn't install after 10 times of installations from malwarebytes. I rebooted. When I rebooted MB automatic started the installation progress and it did succeed.

Since I formatted my harddrives and installed Windows 10 Pro 2004 update. I downloaded and installed the free version of Malwarebytes.

Turned on Beta, searched for updates. MB tried to download and install. Waited in 1 hour without progress. So I rebooted my computer and then it was updated.

This was for beta for 1.0.946.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, SPDIF said:

Thank you. Unfortunately, it looks like temp was cleared, so we don't have any setup logs to review.

15 hours ago, unknownguy said:

Since I formatted my harddrives and installed Windows 10 Pro 2004 update. I downloaded and installed the free version of Malwarebytes.

Turned on Beta, searched for updates. MB tried to download and install. Waited in 1 hour without progress. So I rebooted my computer and then it was updated.

This was for beta for 1.0.946.

During the 1 hour without progress, what did you see? Was only the Malwarebytes UI visible or are you referring to the Malwarebytes installer?

Could you provide logs from the Malwarebytes Support Tool please so we can take a closer look?

@LiquidTension; Yes after upgrade to the new version of Windows 10, i used Disk Cleanup to remove leftovers and the OLD folder as it was almost 23Gb space i can use otherwise. I will be sure to remember this next time this happens, and make a log Before clearing anything. Thanks anyway and a nice weekend!

On 6/5/2020 at 2:24 PM, LiquidTension said:

Thank you. Unfortunately, it looks like temp was cleared, so we don't have any setup logs to review.

During the 1 hour without progress, what did you see? Was only the Malwarebytes UI visible or are you referring to the Malwarebytes installer?

Could you provide logs from the Malwarebytes Support Tool please so we can take a closer look?

It was Malwarebytes installer.

Edit: Tried to run Malwarebytes Support Tool. But FRST is ransomware detected now.

Malwarebytes
www.malwarebytes.com
	-Log Details-
Protection Event Date: 6/6/20
Protection Event Time: 6:45 PM
Log File: 1cbf9922-a815-11ea-a28d-049226d4a7d9.json
	-Software Information-
Version: 4.1.1.71
Components Version: 1.0.946
Update Package Version: 1.0.25126
License: Premium
	-System Information-
CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: System
	-Ransomware Details-
File: 1
Malware.Ransom.Agent.Generic, C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\mwb13CF.tmp\FRSTEnglish.exe, Delete-on-Reboot, 0, 392685, 0.0.0

(end)

mbamtray_Qy8jVcucsb.png

9 minutes ago, unknownguy said:

Here are the logs.

I would suggest 2 things.

Fast Startup:                    On

I suggest turning off fast startup in Windows. Then restart.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Also suggest allowing Defender to be active for maximum protection.

Security center.png

@LiquidTension:  On one of the laptop from my clients with windows 8.1 installed, the same thing happened during update to version 4.1.1.17 [coming from version 3.7.1].

Installer stays at 10 percent doing nothing. After a long time it end with an error that there was a fault during installation. Did do a clean installation with the tool, but if you try to update to the latest Beta, same thing happens...

Here are the logs taken after the error.

mbst-clean-results.txt

mbst-grab-results.zip