MalwareBytes 4 messing with IPv6 ping

Go to solution Solved by Maurice Naggar,

I have similar issues with MalwareBytes recently installed.  My router's local DNS proxy advertises an IPV6 and IPV4 address, but when running MalwareBytes, all DNS resolution is horribly slow because it Windows is trying to connect IPV6 first, which fails, and then the DNS resolution fails over to IPV4 which works fine, so every single DNS resolution has a wait time to fail over to IPV4.

I notice that when running MalwareBytes, I cannot ping my router's IPV6 address either.

I've uninstalled MalwareBytes to get around the problem.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

I've uninstalled MalwareBytes because with this defect (and a router whose primary DNS address is IPV6, secondary IPV4), all lookups computer DNS lookups take ages to failover from IPV6 to IPV4, the result is absolutely intolerable.

For me, IPCONFIG /ALL shows:

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fda5:7a90:47f9::1
                                           fda5:7a90:47f9::1

With MalwareBytes installed, this doesn't work, here I am invoking my router's IPV6 address for resolution:

$ nslookup www.google.com fda5:7a90:47f9::1
    Server:  UnKnown
    Address:  fda5:7a90:47f9::1

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name:    www.google.com
    Addresses:  2404:6800:4006:805::2004

But with MalwareBytes installed, the IPV4 lookup works fine:

$ nslookup www.google.com 192.168.16.1
Server:  openwrt.lan
Address:  192.168.16.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.google.com
Addresses:  2404:6800:4006:805::2004

1 minute ago, dcam said:

've uninstalled MalwareBytes because with this defect (and a router whose primary DNS address is IPV6, secondary IPV4), all lookups computer DNS lookups take ages to failover from IPV6 to IPV4, the result is absolutely intolerable.

Hi,

I have the same problem. The strange thing is, it worked without problems until yesterday. Today I started my pc and I have none or extremly delayed IPv6 communication. Websites takes ages to load, ping not working at all (on IPv6)  Websites which only support IPv4 load directly.

Disabling Web-Protection solves the problem. Same for my notebook.

I suspect a recent (automatically installed) update causes the problem. Very strange that this problem happens to different users at different times, and MWB is not able to fix it.

Another strange thing: My pc is on component package version 1.0.931 and my notebook on 1.0.920. Both machines show that there is no update availabe.

mwb.png

29 minutes ago, rahe said:

Reinstalled newest version of MWBAM and problem persists. Installing "mb4-setup-consumer-4.0.4.49-1.0.750-1.0.14966.exe" did solve the problem for me at the moment.

Thanks for confirming that rolling back to the older build successfully worked around the issue.  A member of the staff will respond to this topic to inform us when this issue has been resolved (they will likely respond to the other threads where this issue has been reported to alert those users when it is fixed as well).

I did some additional testing. Installed MWB in a fresh Win 10x64 1909 (with updates) and it has the same problems. I tried various MWB 4.1 versions and with all I have this problem.mwb-ver.png.85ee4b0826072271d034741020795af6.png

I grabbed the log from my disk image from 2020-04-15 when I reinstalled windows. This version (and its potentially installed updates) worked until yesterday for me:

mwb-image-ver.png.8e9c5f8a070458864b8176299cf6abdf.png

Looks like, it is one of the versions above. I have no idea why this version was working for me before, and now it does not...

Ok, looks like I messed things up a little bit. The problem with the IPv6 ping and browsing IPv6 websites are not directly linked to each other. I updated MWB 4.0.4 now to 4.1 (newest version) on my main pc again and now the ping is NOT working, but browsing websites IS working. I have no idea why yesterday browsing websites was not possible (although disabling Web-Protection fixed it) but now it works. In my tests today with the various MWB versions on a clean windows VM, I only tested if the ping is working (it is not!). I never tried to browse websites.

Long story short, current status with newest MWB: IPv6 ping not working, website browsing is working (at the moment.)

On 6/1/2020 at 1:38 PM, rahe said:

I updated MWB 4.0.4 now to 4.1 (newest version) on my main pc again and now the ping is NOT working

That older version 4.0.4 is the last one where everything worked correctly all around. Stay on that one until a fix is found.

Just wondering here, if those having issues have checked & re-checked the properties of the Network settings.
To insure that both TCP/IP v4  & TCP/IP v6  are enabled.
Further, re-check the DNS Server name settings.
If you know your ISP's   DNS name server addresses,  try using theirs instead of Google DNS  or some other one.

3 hours ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Just wondering here, if those having issues have checked & re-checked the properties of the Network settings.
To insure that both TCP/IP v4  & TCP/IP v6  are enabled.
Further, re-check the DNS Server name settings.
If you know your ISP's   DNS name server addresses,  try using theirs instead of Google DNS  or some other one.

If I disable MWB "Web Protection" everything is working fine. I don't know how it can possibly be caused by the things you suggested then, but I already checked these, before I figured out, that MWB is causing the problems.

24 minutes ago, Maurice Naggar said:

Hello @Daggerheart   

Please run the Support tool report and attach the ZIP  file here for review.   It would help us to help you.  

https://support.malwarebytes.com/hc/en-us/articles/360039023453-Upload-Malwarebytes-Support-Tool-logs-offline

I'm just following up with some additional data Maurice, the initial post has a support tool report and this is a continuation of that initial issue which is still no resolved.

37 minutes ago, Daggerheart said:

the initial post has a support tool report and this is a continuation of that initial issue which is still no resolved.

In all of you 6 posts to date there is not a support tool log from YOUR computer. Please do the following.

We need to get information from this machine in order to have the proper detail to help you forward.
 NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

Download Malwarebytes Support Tool

Once the file is downloaded, open your Downloads folder/location of the downloaded file
    Double-click mb-support xxx.xx.exe to run the report
        You may be prompted by User Account Control (UAC) to allow changes to be made to your computer. Click Yes to consent.

Place a checkmark next to Accept License Agreement and click Next
    You will be presented with a page stating, "Get Started!"

Do NOT use the button “Start repair” !
    Click the Advanced tab on the left column

Click the Gather Logs button

A progress bar will appear and the program will proceed with getting logs from your computer

Upon completion, click a file named mbst-grab-results.zip will be saved to your Desktop. Click OK
    Please attach the ZIP file in your next reply.

8 hours ago, Porthos said:

In all of you 6 posts to date there is not a support tool log from YOUR computer...

Hello Porthos, Please consider me a fly on the wall, I'm perfectly content with you guys coming up with a solution for the original poster and if that does not also fix it for myself I will of course go through the steps you've presented. Feel free to disregard my post about the windows version if it provides no helpful insight, I am still following this issue as there has yet to be a solution to said original post, or are you saying that has been addressed?

16 minutes ago, Daggerheart said:

I'm perfectly content with you guys coming up with a solution for the original poster and if that does not also fix it for myself I will of course go through the steps you've presented.

Staff would like every log from any users having issues. It can help fix the issues for every one.