Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23 dramatically slows down Mac startup

Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23 dramatically slows down the startup process on my Mac (MacOS Mojave 10.14.6) unless both "Real-Time Protection" features "Ad Block" and "Malware Protection" are unchecked prior to startup. This issue only started with version 3.9.23. With the features unchecked, startup on the Mac is quick -- under 20 seconds from turning my machine on until reaching the Login screen. With Real Time Protection engaged prior to startup (both Ad Block and Malware Protection checked), it takes 3-4 minutes to reach the Login screen.

However, on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.6), startup runs quickly and is not slowed down by Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23.

Any clues? I troubleshooted the issue for over an hour with a senior level Apple tech before discovering that Malwarebytes Premium v. 3.9.23 with both Real Time Protection features engaged dramatically slows start up on my Mac running Mojave but not my MacBook Pro running High Sierra.

Thank you. It must be only issues with Mojave as the slowdown doesn't occur on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra. Until the fix, I will just disengage the real time protection features before shutting down so they are off when I start up the machine.

Hello @SteveRC and :welcome:

Similarly to @Popeye's attribution above, @treed has advised the forum that in-house resources have been identified that may provide useful data regarding the v3.9.23 difficulties:

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/250138-just-updated-to-3923-and-have-issues/?do=findComment&comment=1327966

On the Mac in question, it may be quite helpful for devs/staffers to select the Apple Menu Icon  -> About This Mac -> System Report... and in a reply to this topic, site the entry under: Hardware Overview: Model Identifier e.g. MacBookPro11,3 etc.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

• Staff
23 hours ago, SteveRC said:

Thank you. It must be only issues with Mojave as the slowdown doesn't occur on my MacBook Pro running High Sierra. Until the fix, I will just disengage the real time protection features before shutting down so they are off when I start up the machine.

We're still not sure what the cause is... it seems to be affecting machines of all ages, and with systems from Sierra (10.12) through Mojave (10.14). It's affecting a small enough number of machines that it has been difficult to guess what they might all have in common, and we haven't actually been able to reproduce it here. But I think we're getting close to finding a solution, thanks to an individual with an affected Mac who has generously volunteered his time to work closely with our developers. :) 

I had the same problem, or one very much similar, running the trial Premium on my Mac, El Capitan, 10.11.6.   Even after I logged in, web pages loaded very slowly.  Bottom line was my Mac is old and so is the operating system.  I had an even worse problem with a competitors product, Avast which drove me to stay with MB. I really wanted the upgrade but until I get a new Mac, I am limited to the free version.  

You are correct. iMac 9.1 configured as follows:

iMac (24-inch, Early 2009); 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3; NVIDIA GeForce 9400 256 MB

Still runs good.  I can read news from around the world, store photos, visit BBQ forums, and FaceTime with my family. Some day it will crash, and I will upgrade to a new iMac.  Till then, all is well.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, we need to know what version of MWB. There was an issue with the first build or two of the latest on selected Macs, but that has reportedly been solved with the most current.

Edited by alvarnell

• 1 year later...

I wanted to report that one of my tech support clients is having this same issue where startup time is significantly increased when MalwareBytes is installed on their Mac.

The user pays for the premium version and is using the most up to date version as of this time of writing.

Uninstalling the software alleviates the problem by a noticeable and appreciable degree. I will time the number of seconds and update the post.

Contrary to what MACMECHANICS stated above, the issue IS occurring on Mac OS 10.13.6.

Hello @Ford4D and :welcome:

macOS 10.13.6 (November 2020) is the last release version of Apple's High Sierra OS. It would be very helpful to those who help you, and your client, to match the Model Identifier to the Mac device and because multiple versions are in current distribution, the actual version number of the Malwarebytes for Mac in use.

While the macOS system is starting, all executable files transferred from mass storage to RAM are scrutinized for malware by the RTProtectionDaemon Process. A real possibility exists that the unknown Mac device is of older manufacture and the Malwarebytes' RTProtectionDaemon Process is possibly using a temporarily high amount of CPU resources. To better optimize CPU usage for Malwarebytes' scans please carry out the next five steps below:

1. Please temporarily open the GUI for Malwarebytes for Mac.
  2. Open the Settings window by selecting the gear icon near the GUI's upper-right corner.
  3. Select the Advanced tab from the upper half of the Settings window.
  4. Near the bottom of the Settings window, select the Low CPU usage radio button. (For older Mac devices)
  5. Close the Settings window.

Reference: Malwarebytes for Mac guide (v4) -> Advanced -> CPU usage setting in Malwarebytes for Mac

In your next reply to this thread please relate the following:

1. Model Identifier. e.g. MacBookPro11,3 iMac9,1 iMacPro1,1 MacBookAir3,1 MacBook5,2, etc. The Identifier can also be established through: Apple Menu icon -> Overview tab -> System Report... button -> under the Hardware Overview: column -> Model Identifier:
  2. Apple Menu -> About Malwarebytes -> Malwarebytes Version: 4.11.11, 4.12.9, 4.13.2 Beta etc. Reference: Find version number in Malwarebytes for Mac

You can confirm the higher users of CPU resources by opening the High Sierra's Activity Monitor -> CPU tab -> %CPU column. Reference: View CPU activity - What details do you see?

Attaching Screenshots can be frequently helpful for conveying complex observations.

Note: Due to recent spammer activities, newer forum members are disallowed from updating their previous forum posts. Updating permissions are eventually granted after a pre-determined amount of meaningful posts have been made.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

I would just add that it's always best to start a new discussion, rather than tagging onto someone else's, especially one this old and for what must be a different version. Otherwise it could be overlooked by the staff thinking it,s been closed out.

• Staff

I would agree with Al. If you're using version 3.9, then the first thing to try would be to upgrade to the latest version.

If you are using the latest version, you should start a new topic, as this one was specifically discussing an issue with version 3.9, which was last current two years ago.