Just updated to 3.9.23 and have issues

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, PaulBostock said:

please remember that you have to REBOOT your Mac for the problem to surface.

Sorry, I thought I had previously made it clear that I knew that. I have rebooted multiple times in both OS’s and am inclined to believe that it is a platform specific issue, as speculated by the staff.

Sorry, my comment was not targeted to anyone specific, other than people who may come on this topic for the first time & who have not been following it in detail over the past day or so.

In regards to it being platform specific you are probably right. The mystery to me is that the mac's involved are both laptops & iMacs from a wide range of years.

44 minutes ago, PaulBostock said:

The mystery to me is that the mac's involved are both laptops & iMacs from a wide range of years.

But relatively older, correct?

16 minutes ago, alvarnell said:

But relatively older, correct?

It is true, my MacBook Pro (9,2) is not very young as it is a mid 2012 but it is still considered compatible with Catalina; I would expect similar behavior from macs that are no longer compatible even with Mojave

not to mention that in post # 16 @treed says he failed to replicate the problem even in the old mac

Edited by MAXBAR1
added quote @treed

Can the problem be software related?

As an example I have Adguard (The App not the browser extension) in my open at login list. (As well as other programs.)

On July 31 Apple released an updated Gateway Configuration Data #175.

I have no idea, just thoughts 

Hi. Running Mojave 10.14.5 on iMac 2017, 27 inch, 32 GB.  Updated to MWB 3.9.23  on Aug 4 and after shutting down and then rebooting a few hours later my iMac would hang while booting up taking forever to get to the desktop.  Ran disk utility with no issues reported. Shut down, unplugged power cord then rebooted after I plugged back in and same problem with extremely long start up to get to desktop.  This morning I found this forum and after reading everyone's posts I uninstalled MBW, then shut down my computer, then started my computer again and NO MORE PROBLEMS.  I think I will wait until you fix this problem before reinstalling MBW.  Have run Premium MBW for 2 years on this computer with no problems.  Surprised MBW released this new update with this problem.  My guess is a lot of folks with the hanging reboot have not attributed it to the MBW update and that's why you are not hearing more about it yet.

I have this boot problem on my late 2015 iMac running macOS 10.14.6

I had put a ticket to MB last week.

Yesterday I was contacted by MB support & asked to install a new MB version.........which did not solve the issue.

I also send in some reports to MB

I keep my iMac running 24/7 & use the sleep function instead of powering down

At this point I do have App Block active & will switch it off when I power down.

I agree with nancyc. A lot of users may have boot issues & have not attributed it to Malwarebytes.

I have had a Mac for over 10 years now & until now have  never had an issue that caused my Mac not to boot up.

One theory has been that only older Macs get this problem, but nancyc. has a 2017 Mac.  So that  blows that idea out of the water.

News:

Our QA team are working for a new hotfix for the issue encountered with our new update 3.9.23  

For now, the workaround is to turn off "app block" protection from Malwarebytes.

OR

uninstall the current version and revert back to previous version 3.8.17
download 3.8.17 with below link 

https://malwarebytes.box.com/shared/static/kftr656s1hyx0cm8qzynsvta9jbu2ave.pkg

To uninstall, please refer > https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1928

We will reach out once we will we ready with the new update.

Aditya | Malwarebytes Consumer Support | support.malwarebytes.com

I am not going to reinstall MWB even after the fix.  This last update release with this serious problem is just a red flag to me that MWB is not being careful with their updates.  My trust is gone.  Glad I quickly figured out MWB update was the problem before I hauled my iMac to repair to get it fixed.  It's still under Apple Care so would not cost me but for a lot of the folks here with older computers they would be paying $ to find out what happened to their computer.  In fact, I bet there are a lot of people doing just that.  I think this is significant enough problem that MWB should be notifying its subscribers of the problem asap!  

14 minutes ago, Defender said:

I am a software user, I am not part of the support. I indicated the message I received from the support.

Well I clicked on the links & they are all OK.  I did the uninstall of the bad version & installed the old.  Works fine.

Why on earth Malwarebytes would not post this message directly to this topic is beyond me.  Sloppy Sloppy Sloppy.

Hello @GuruGuy:

19 hours ago, GuruGuy said:

Seriously how hard can it be to see what changed in App Block from the last reliable & bug free version to the latest buggy version, then fix it.

The v3.9.23 responses, seen by some, do not encompass the entire spectrum of Macs.  It is quite likely this is why this was not uncovered in Alpha/Beta testing.  How many Mac models are involved?

Will the proposed fix be effective across all models and compatible with the release version of Catalina 10.15? (Which does not exist yet.)

I do not envy the devs/QA at this point.

With great respect...

Edited by 1PW

I believe reports have come from 2011-2015 Macs of selected models.

I'll also add that @treed has been on travel this week, so he hasn't been able to follow the diagnostic progress and report back to us. 

6 minutes ago, GuruGuy said:

I originally posted several days ago and specifically mentioned that all of my systems are less than one year old, so no, not just 2011-2015 are affected.

It might be helpful to the development team if you would list all affected model numbers.

Also does disabling Application Block solve it for any of them?