Hangouts and Gmail Images Not Displaying With Extension Installed

Tokyo-Eye

Hey everyone,

Woke up this morning to see that my Gmail and Hangouts images were all replaced with broken link images. Thought it might just be Gmail, but as it turns out, it was the Malwarebytes Extension. Have about five different extensions right now and that was the only one causing an issue. Any ideas on a fix for this?

Hello @Tokyo-Eye:

The Malwarebytes' staffers and devs require the necessary detail provided by a screenshot of the popup that documents the type of block & the complete URL.  When obtained, please attach with a reply to this topic.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

Hello @mdwpsyd:

If error popups are present, please take a screenshot of the Malwarebytes Browser Extension BETA for Chrome popup that shows the reason for the block and the complete URL.  Then, please attach to your next reply here.

Thank you.

Sample of a needed screenshot:

https://content.invisioncic.com/Mmalware/monthly_2018_12/image.png.4d0026332d26c7bf823f11707512ca8a.png

Edited by 1PW

Why are all these screenshots necessary. Simply tell the devs to go their gmail inside Google Chrome and the google contacts and they can see it for themselves. Sheesh!Why are all these screenshots necessary. Simply tell the devs to go their gmail inside Google Chrome and the google contacts and they can see it for themselves. Sheesh!

5 hours ago, jamesandchey said:

Why are all these screenshots necessary. Simply tell the devs to go their gmail inside Google Chrome and the google contacts and they can see it for themselves. Sheesh!Why are all these screenshots necessary. Simply tell the devs to go their gmail inside Google Chrome and the google contacts and they can see it for themselves. Sheesh!

Hello @jamesandchey:

In the case of a Malwarebytes Browser Extension BETA false positive (FP), the Malwarebytes staff/devs can quickly whitelist the flagged URL in question (and only if appropriate) and then, at a more leisurely pace, examine the logic that produced the FP.  An appropriate screenshot will document the reason for the block and hence that specific section of the code and the URL is key to warranted whitelisting and also allow the FP to be reproduced in a controlled environment.

Careful whitelisting can only be made if the URL is safe by conducting a local investigation coupled with researching all relevant reporting services.

Thank you always for participating in this beta program and assisting in its development with your timely reports.

9 hours ago, jamesandchey said:

Simply tell the devs to go their gmail inside Google Chrome and the google contacts and they can see it for themselves.

I have not been able to replicate with my setup on a Mac running Mojave and the same version of Chrome.

Hi folks, I've been trying to replicate this issue for several days and cannot, with either Chrome or Firefox, and Malwarebytes for Chrome/Firefox version 1.0.44.  I have tried the exact version of Chrome (and Windows) that mdwpsyd listed above.  Can you tell me anything more about how to make this happen?  What exact URL do I need to go to?  Are you using the most current extension version (1.0.44)?

Here are images of what the contacts look like with scam protection disabled (images appear) and enabled (images missing).

By the way, how do I get version 1.0.44.  When I go to the link provided in the pinned posting it takes me to the Chrome store which says I already have the extension installed.  Would I need to uninstall my current version to install the new version?  If so, would I lose all the sites I have added to my whitelist?  That wouldn't be very friendly as I have 100's of sites added.

Hello @Swandog46 and @rakeshsejwal:

To be certain, I just now removed the Malwarebytes Browser Extension Beta 1.0.44 from Chrome browsers (73.0.3683.103) on a W10prox64 1809 17763.437 and a macOS Mojave 10.14.4  system.  Then, the systems were restarted followed by re-installation of the v1.0.44 extension followed by another system restart on both platforms.

For testing, @BillH99999's observation, in another thread in this subforum, suggested msn.com/money and that URL is indeed a simple/quick method of confirmation.

The loss of images prevails until the Malwarebytes Browser Extension is completely disabled or removed.  No combination of disabling of the extension's individual categories is effective.

HTH

Yes, Google Contacts is now working fine with scam protection enabled.

Earlier in this thread I had posted this question...

By the way, how do I get version 1.0.44.  When I go to the link provided in the pinned posting it takes me to the Chrome store which says I already have the extension installed.  Would I need to uninstall my current version to install the new version?  If so, would I lose all the sites I have added to my whitelist?  That wouldn't be very friendly as I have 100's of sites added.

Can anyone answer?

Thanks!

Bill