Free version won't allow "un-register" with Windows Security Centre

Hi,

Windows 10, running AVG as anti virus. This is a minor rather than major issue.

I've always used MWB to do scans but not act as my main anti-virus software. When I recently needed to do a malware scan, I had to download the trial version of MWB (3.3.1) rather than the free version.

I allowed the trial period to expire whereupon MWB told me it was now the free version again.

However, Windows Security Centre is continually nagging me that action needs to be taken with MWB.

I open MWB to disable the registration with Windows Security centre, but the options are greyed out and say that I can only make this change with the Premium version! (see screenshot).

I don't want to uninstall MWB but I'm beginning to feel I may have to. Any workaround? Thanks in advance.

mwb.jpg

• Staff

***This is an automated reply***

Hi,

Thanks for posting in the Malwarebytes 3 Help forum.

If you are having technical issues with our Windows product, please do the following: 

Spoiler

If you haven't done so already, please run these two tools and then attach the logs in your next reply:

NOTE: The tools and the information obtained is safe and not harmful to your privacy or your computer, please allow the programs to run if blocked by your system.

• Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)
    1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
      Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
    2. Double-click to run FRST and when the tool opens click "Yes" to the disclaimer
    3. Press the "Scan" button
    4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
      • Leave the log files in the current location, they will be automatically collected by mb-check once you complete the next set of instructions
  • MB-Check
    1. Download MB-Check and save to your desktop
    2. Double-click to run MB-Check and within a few second the command window will open, press "Enter" to accept the EULA then click "OK" 
    3. This will produce one log file on your desktop: mb-check-results.zip
      • This file will include the FRST logs generated from the previous set of instructions
      • Attach this file to your forum post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the file to the attachment area

One of our experts will be able to assist you shortly.

If you are having licensing issues, please do the following: 

Spoiler

For any of these issues:

• Renewals
  • Refunds (including double billing)
  • Cancellations
  • Update Billing Info
  • Multiple Transactions
  • Consumer Purchases
  • Transaction Receipt

Please contact our support team at https://support.malwarebytes.com/community/consumer/pages/contact-us to get help

If you need help looking up your license details, please head here: https://support.malwarebytes.com/docs/DOC-1264 

Thanks in advance for your patience.

-The Malwarebytes Forum Team

3 hours ago, alb said:

Go ahead and try a clean install see below. It won't give you access to that control but it should free up the action center so you do not receive that warning.

Download and run MB-CLEAN. Please run from an administrator account.

• Download MB-CLEAN
  • Close all open applications
  • Double-click and run mb-clean-3.1.0.1031.exe
  • A prompt with an option to clean up the system will appear: click Yes
    • Yes - will proceed with backing up the license key (Malwarebytes 3.x only) and initiating the cleanup process
  • Once the cleanup process is completed, a prompt will appear:
    • Yes - will proceed and post reboot you will be prompted to continue with the downloading, installation and activation of latest version of Malwarebytes 3
    • No - will exit the utility and you will not be prompted (post reboot) to download, reinstall and re-activate (not recommended)
      • We recommend rebooting immediately. Additionally, stopping at this step is not recommended and will most likely not resolve your issue(s).
  • Upon reboot, a prompt will appear: click Yes
    • Yes - will download, install and activate the latest version of Malwarebytes 3
    • No - will exit the utility and Malwarebytes 3 will not be downloaded, reinstalled or re-activated (not recommended)

If it does not offer the new install after the reboot you can download and install from here. 

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3  

Edited by Porthos

• Staff

Hello @alb ,

I wanted to point out a feature in Windows 10. The screenshot you provided shows you are using 3.3.1 and the action center you see in the screenshot is actually Windows Defender Security Center. This is a new feature added in Windows 10 which we do not support in 3.3.1.

For 3.3.1 we will only correctly show register/unregister actions in Security and Maintenance which is where the Windows Action Center information is located. 

If you want to download our 3.4 beta, this build will have functionality to support both the regular Windows Action Center AND the Windows Defender Security Center which are two different things. 

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

Greetings,

I did report this issue to the Product team however I do not know the status of a resolution for it in the product.  In the meantime you should be able to perform a clean installation to remove Malwarebytes from the Windows Action Center:

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Support Tool
  2. Accept the EULA and click Advanced tab on the left (not Start Repair)
  3. Click the Clean button, and allow it to restart your system and then reinstall Malwarebytes, either by allowing the tool to do so when it offers to on restart, or by downloading and installing the latest version from here

Please let us know if that fails to resolve the issue and if there is anything else we might assist you with.

Thanks

21 hours ago, C45P3R said:

Windows 10 Pro Ver. 1809 Build 17763.253

Thank you for the information. We're not seeing an issue with Malwarebytes 3.6.1 being registered/unregistered on Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.253.

What are the exact steps you performed to get in the state depicted in your screenshot?
If you restart the computer, does the issue persist?
Are you able to reproduce the issue on-demand?

I believe these are the steps to reproduce the issue:

• Install Malwarebytes on a system where it will initiate the free trial and register itself by default with the Windows Action Center/Security Center
  • Wait for the trial to expire without altering the Action Center/Security Center setting in Malwarebytes
  • Open Action Center/Security Center to verify that it still shows Malwarebytes among the protection programs on the system being monitored
  • Open Malwarebytes and attempt to alter the Action Center/Security Center registration setting under Settings>Application

We have seen this issue in the past and I have reported it to the Product team previously, however I do not know if or when it was addressed if at all.

Please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe this is how the issue is reproduced.

13 hours ago, exile360 said:

We have seen this issue in the past and I have reported it to the Product team previously, however I do not know if or when it was addressed if at all.

It has indeed been addressed in the past with earlier versions of Malwarebytes (3.3.1). We haven't seen many recent reports of this issue with 3.6.1.

@C45P3R Please confirm if the steps listed by exile360 in post #15 align with the issue you encountered. Also, please let me know your thoughts on the questions I asked in post #14.

Edited by LiquidTension

• 2 weeks later...

@LiquidTension

With details, I will make the bug this clear so everyone will understand why it happens.

1)If the user has windows defender in windows 10 it will not have this problem because the option let malwarebytes lets the malwarebytes decide the best options for windows center is set to not register.

2) the problem is when the user has a third party antivirus for example avast.

the user will install the malware bytes free trial now the option malware bytes let the malware byes decide the best option will make itself  register in windows center with avast.

Now the user leave the trial to end.

Later the user  decide to uninstall avast to use windows defender. but he cant because windows defender find the malwarebytes registered in windows security cender and disable itself leaving the user totally unprotected.

In reality this is not a bug but limitation.

The only real solution here for you is when the malwarebytes revert to free after the trial end is to make it the program to never register in windows center.

On 1/23/2019 at 2:25 AM, LiquidTension said:

It has indeed been addressed in the past with earlier versions of Malwarebytes (3.3.1). We haven't seen many recent reports of this issue with 3.6.1.

@C45P3R Please confirm if the steps listed by exile360 in post #15 align with the issue you encountered. Also, please let me know your thoughts on the questions I asked in post #14.

That is exactly what happened. In previous versions I could decline the trial option but did not see that available this time. I only periodically run Malwarebytes to make sure windows defender hasn't let anything slip through.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:09 AM, boombastik said:

@LiquidTension

With details, I will make the bug this clear so everyone will understand why it happens.

1)If the user has windows defender in windows 10 it will not have this problem because the option let malwarebytes lets the malwarebytes decide the best options for windows center is set to not register.

2) the problem is when the user has a third party antivirus for example avast.

the user will install the malware bytes free trial now the option malware bytes let the malware byes decide the best option will make itself  register in windows center with avast.

Now the user leave the trial to end.

Later the user  decide to uninstall avast to use windows defender. but he cant because windows defender find the malwarebytes registered in windows security cender and disable itself leaving the user totally unprotected.

In reality this is not a bug but limitation.

The only real solution here for you is when the malwarebytes revert to free after the trial end is to make it the program to never register in windows center.

I disagree. I have only ever used windows defender on this machine.

On 1/22/2019 at 12:00 PM, LiquidTension said:

Thank you for the information. We're not seeing an issue with Malwarebytes 3.6.1 being registered/unregistered on Windows 10 1809 Build 17763.253.

What are the exact steps you performed to get in the state depicted in your screenshot?
If you restart the computer, does the issue persist?
Are you able to reproduce the issue on-demand?

One caveat is I was running a different/previous version of Windows 10 when the free trial ended and it was after the update installed that I received the trial has ended msg and I was stuck with the program being registered in Action Center.

Seeing as I was not offered a free trial after re-installing there is no way to reproduce on-demand.

On further thought I recall my system was running a bit sluggish and Antimalware Service Executable and Malwarebytes were both showing activity. So I quit Malwarebytes and it was not running at the time I had rebooted during windows update (during which time the trial had ended for at least a couple days).