Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 Unable to Start

First, please make certain that you're logged into Windows as an administrator.  Administrative privileges are required to install our software.  I just want to make sure that's not the issue before we dive too deep into fixes and other troubleshooting measures.

Assuming you have been logged in as an admin this whole time yet have still had these errors, please proceed with the following:

Reset Permissions using Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All In One)

• Please download Tweaking.com - Windows Repair (All In One) from here and save the file to your desktop.
  • Once that's done, right-click on the file and select Extract All then use the wizard to extract the contents to your desktop; once done, there should now be a folder on your desktop called Tweaking.com - Windows Repair
  • Open that folder and double-click on the Repair_Windows.exe file
  • Once it opens, click on the Step 5: Backup tab and click the Backup button under 1. Registry Backup
  • Once that completes, click on the Repairs tab and click the Open Repairs button
  • Uncheck the box next to All Repairs at the top, then click the box on the left of each of the following entries to enable them:

• Reset Registry Permissions
  • Reset File Permissions

• Once that's done, click Start Repairs
  • Once it has completed, go ahead and restart your system and try uninstalling/reinstalling Malwarebytes again.

Let me know how it goes.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

exile 360 I got this error through downloading the link from this thread

May 10, 2017: Malwarebytes 3.1 Now Available

on the advice of AdvancedSetup which I wish I had not done and is not great for a novice.

Could not the reason for this be looked at before we do any more. I am worried that the more we do the worse it gets.

I do not know anything about being logged in to Windows as an administrator so you would need to explain that if you want me to do that.

mygoose

Sure, no problem.  There are a few simple things we can do to figure out what's going on.  The first thing is to make certain you're logged in as an administrator because if you aren't, that would certainly cause such errors.  If you are starting up Windows/logging into Windows the same way that you did when you posted your logs back in post #3 then you are indeed logged in as an administrator.

So first, lets start by making certain that we're on the same page as far as where your system is at right now.  Do you currently have Malwarebytes installed at all, and if so, do you know if it is version 3.1.1 or the latest 3.1.2?  You should be able to tell by the file name for the installer or you can right-click the file and select Properties then select the Details tab and it should tell you the version information there.

Exile60 OK I will re-cap

All was fine until AdvancedSetup told me to download the new version from the link in  this thread

May 10, 2017: Malwarebytes 3.1 Now Available

and I got the error message at post #1 (wish I hadn’t done it)

Then I followed the instructions at post #4 and got the error message at post #6 on the re-install part of it.

In post #22 you told me to reinstall it again

In post #23 I told I installed the new version from MBAM site and got the same error message as at post #6

In post #25 I told you that when closing down my PC I inadvertently clicked on the Ignore in the error message same as post #6 so it did  install but with that error message.

So I have the new MBAM version installed but with the error message same as post #6

Sorry but I cannot do much more of this!!

mygoose

OK, so the version you installed came from this link that was in that post:

So it was in fact 3.1.2 (the latest version, not the older 3.1.1 beta) that you installed.  Good, so now at least we know that you've got the right version.  I realize there are obviously still issues, but it's a start.  I'm also working with some other members on this to try to figure out what's going on as we want to make certain we get it resolved for you.

So one other thing I'd like to check.  Please click Start and click My Computer and in the Explorer window at the top in the address bar, highlight the text that says "My Computer" and type over it %temp% and press Enter.  That should take you to your temp folder where temporary files are stored.  Look through there and see if there is a text file called something like Setup Log 2017-05-15 #000 (the numbers may be different, and the date should be the date you installed Malwarebytes last).  Find the most recent one with the highest number at the end (the #000 number which may be something like 001, 002, 003 etc.) and attach the file to your next post.  It's a log from our installer and it may help show us what the problems are in the installation and exactly where it's having issues and may give us a clue as to the exact cause.

The link you quote was the first time I installed it and gave me the error at my post #1 ( I think this should be investigated as we should not get errors when downloading your own  links suggested on your site)

The version I have now was from the MBAM main site my post #23

It is 3.1.2.1733

I attach the temp file

mygoose

Setup Log 2017-05-16 #001.txt

The link works fine for me so I'm not sure what caused the problem that you had.  I will mention it to the team though so that they may investigate what might have happened, assuming they're able to replicate the issue.

Now, as for the installation issue that's causing the problems with running Malwarebytes and the errors during installation, that log you just posted did indeed provide some insight.  Here are the entries that show the issues with the installation:

2017-05-16 04:14:54.015   Registering 32-bit DLL/OCX: C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbshlext.dll

2017-05-16 04:14:54.015   Spawning 32-bit RegSvr32: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe" /s "C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbshlext.dll"
2017-05-16 04:14:56.093   Registration failed:
                          RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5.
2017-05-16 04:14:56.093   Message box (Abort/Retry/Ignore):
                          C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes\Anti-Malware\mbshlext.dll

Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5.

Click Retry to try again, Ignore to proceed anyway (not recommended), or Abort to cancel installation.
2017-05-16 04:35:47.609   User chose Ignore.
2017-05-16 04:35:47.890   Installation process succeeded.
2017-05-16 04:35:47.890   Installing service
2017-05-16 04:35:49.890   Installed service, result -2147023446
2017-05-16 04:35:50.031   PostInstallService failed

I'm going to pass this info on to our techs and see if they know what's going on and how to fix it.  Obviously the mb-clean/reboot/reinstall routine isn't getting us anywhere so hopefully we can find another way to fix this.

Can you please do the following:

1. Press Windows Key + R to open a run dialog
  2. In the window that comes up, type regedit and click Ok
  3. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFileSystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers
  4. Right click on ContextMenuHandlers and choose Permissions...
  5. Take a screenshot of this key and upload it in the reply

I have tried this several times and I cannot find \AllFilesSystemObjects\.

In the meantime,  I have paid professional Premium and am still unprotected, Can you help with a temporary download to help me.

mygoose

The first entries in the list of items start with a . (period) which means they end up in front of the alphabetical entries that don't start with any punctuation in the folder names.  Just keep scrolling down the list until you come to the folder named AllFileSystemObjects.  It should be somewhere after .zip (starts with a . period) and before Applications (no period).

As for installing another version of Malwarebytes temporarily, you should be able to install version 3.0.6 (the version you had installed previously), assuming it doesn't end up having the same problem, though if it is an issue with registry permissions then it most likely will, but it's certainly worth a try.  You can grab 3.0.6 from this link:

Let me know if that link does not work.

Thanks now attached. Sorry

I haven't  done the download until I had done the attachment but I will try it now.

mygoose

PS it did not install. I got the same message as my post #6 and I aborted it.  It ran perfectly before this thread so it must have been one of the routines on here removed something

Malwarebytes Permissions.JPG

Edited by mygoose

I am having a heart failure.

I had a PC crash before I went away and the only copy I have of my PC is on a USB stick which I keep plugged in the USB port currently this little mini. The only things I have done lately are with Malwarebytes before that it worked fine.

I just went to look at the old Malwarebytes folder on the USB stick and opened it through Explore as usual and  nearly had a heart failure when it said “no objects”

I have tried another USB port and rebooted to no avail.

I badly need some help please.

mygoose

Edited by mygoose

Let's try running mbamchameleon to make sure there's no resident threats on your system. Please follow the instructions below

1. Download and run the Malwarebytes Chameleon tool : https://www.malwarebytes.com/chameleon/
    • This is a stand alone tool. Unzip the file and open the Chameleon html help file.
  2. Click on the Blue Chameleon#1 button.
  3. This will install MBAM 2.x in a secure fashion by blocking malware tampering and also will run a threat scan.
  4. Once the scan is finished, please upload the scan log

I had the same problem with my install of 3.1...got the popup error message "can not connect to the service" or something like that.  After a short panic attack, I got the idea to just reinstall 3.1 over whatever was still there at that point.  I was coming from 3.0.6.1469.  This worked fine for me and I reported this to dcollins for review.  Something vary unusual  must be happening with mygoose.

14 hours ago, mygoose said:

Thanks. I don't have another PC as I had a crash.

I will try  Safe Mode but does it make any difference if everything has been cleared off it?

mygoose

Sorry, I was so shocked that I did not explain this at all properly.

What I have lost is the contents of the USB stick that was attached to the USB port on my PC.  It contained 20 years worth of My Documents and was the only copy.

There is no doubt that it was cleaned by your processes.

I am told that it can be expertly recovered from the PC and any help with this would be much appreciated.

I tried Safe Mode but it still said it is empty.

mygoose

10 hours ago, dcollins said:

@pmcjr the user is seeing something similar, but also different (since she's getting other errors and has a clean install as well). We've actually narrowed down the cause of the problem you had and are working on a fix now

dcollins....that's great!  Fast response.

6 hours ago, mygoose said:

What I have lost is the contents of the USB stick that was attached to the USB port on my PC.  It contained 20 years worth of My Documents and was the only copy.

Did you scan it with Malwarebytes and it detected stuff and then you quarantined the items?  Do you have a scan log to provide? 

Not sure how old the USB drive is/was but after some time they do fail.  Does the USB drive still work, it just shows as an empty drive?  Is it asking to be formatted (if so do not allow it to format just yet)? 

I have had good luck recovering files from USB drives using a program called Bad Copy Pro by Jufsoft.

Thanks.

No I haven’t scanned the usb stick at.all

Almost certain that the cleaning processes early on in this thread cleaned the USB stick too.

It’s a Scandisk USB stick and is new.

The USB stick still works it just shows it as empty. It isn’t asking to be formatted.

I am a novice. Would I be able to do your program.?

Thanks for help.

mygoose

None of the steps we've provided here should have impacted a USB drive, which is very concerning. This is what led me to believe that you may be infected. However based on your other symptoms, you may be experiencing failing hardware, especially since this is an older drive. Recuva has a free version that may be able to assist you in getting files back as well: https://www.piriform.com/recuva/download However to reduce any chance of more file loss, I'd recommend using a different computer if possible (a friends or family members).

I would also recommend running a hard drive diagnostic utility on your computer. Some instructions for that can be found here: https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics-ssd-test.html

Oh dear Dev

I expected you to say that the loss of data from my USB stick was my fault because I left it attached to the PC while I carried out the clean instructions at post #4.

I did not expect you to blame my PC.

While it is an old model it is virtually new and absolutely nothing wrong with it whatsoever.

I have also been meticulous in carrying out threat procedures and do not remember when I last had a threat either.

You are overlooking the fact that AdvancedSet up told me to install your new Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 which gave me an error at my post #1 leaving me with no protection at all.

I hoped I could rely on some support rather than blaming my PC.

In respect of my lost data from my USB stick I would prefer Firefox‘s procedure.  Would he guide me through it please?

mygoose

Edited by mygoose