Malwarebytes 3.1.2.1733 Unable to Start

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello @mygoose:

The forum helpers and/or Malwarebytes' developers/staffers must have good data for a quality fault analysis.  Please download/run the following data gathering support tools, in the system in question, having first been restarted in the NORMAL boot mode:

1.) Reference: mb-check-3.1.0.1002.exe

2.) Create Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) logs:

1. Download FRST and save it to your desktop
    1. Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit
  2. Double-click to run and when the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer
  3. Press Scan button
  4. This will produce two files in the same location (directory) as FRST: FRST.txt and Addition.txt
    1. Attach both of these logs to your post by clicking on the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." or simply drag the files to the attachment area

Please reply to this topic and with your narrative, only attach 3 files: mb-check-results.zip, FRST.txt, and Addition.txt.

Thank you.

Edited by 1PW

Hello @mygoose:

Unfortunately, and though incomplete, the logs show that an earlier Beta version (v3.0.6) of MB3 is still installed.  Please try a "clean install", that will employ the release version of MB3, by way of the mb-clean-3.1.0.1002.exe tool.  Purely as a precaution, please ensure that a safely stored copy of your activation license is available.

When completed/verified, please reply to this topic with the system's status.  Thank you.

20 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Can you please try using mb-clean from the following thread. This will remove your current version, reboot your computer, and prompt to install the latest

Thanks. That is the one I used before. It did uninstall so there is nothing to uninstall.

The error was on the re-install

mygoose

Edited by mygoose

6 minutes ago, dcollins said:

Can you please try using mb-clean from the following thread. This will remove your current version, reboot your computer, and prompt to install the latest

T

23 minutes ago, dcollins said:

It did uninstall so there is nothing to uninstall.

The error was on the re-stall

mygoose

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

Can someone help me with this please.

Advanced Setup told me to uninstall  Avast and I am left with no protection.

Thanks

mygoose

2 hours ago, dcollins said:

T

17 minutes ago, dcollins said:

On your desktop should be a file named mb-clean-results.txt. Can you please upload that? While the program may not be installed, mb-clean should still clean up those leftover files you're seeing. The log will let us know what's happening

Thanks.

Is attached

mb-clean-results.txt

It would not work from your link.

I got the message

This site can’t be reached

downloads.malwarebtes.com took too long to respond.

ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

I really need some help please.

I have the paid Premium licence and I am unprotected.

mygoose

Greetings :)

I think I know what's going on here.  For some reason permissions got borked (broken, basically) on the registry key for our shell extension (the file used for the right-click "Scan with Malwarebytes" option for files and folders) and that's what's causing those errors during install because it can't un-register the old copy of the file and register the new one.

Try this and let us know if that corrects it for you or not.  You can download the latest version of Malwarebytes from here if you still need a copy, but if you already have an installer for build 3.1.2 around then you can just use that (the installer isn't the problem ;) ).

1. Open regedit by clicking START and typing regedit and hitting Enter
  2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\AllFilesystemObjects\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers\MBAMShlExt
  3. Right-click on the MBAMShlExt folder and choose Delete and click Yes when prompted

If that does not work, then do the following, then proceed with the steps above to attempt to delete it again:

• Right-click on the MBAMShlExt folder and select Permissions...
  • In the Permissions dialog click on Advanced near the bottom and it should open a new dialog
  • In the new dialog click on the Owner tab and highlight the entry that says Administrators (<Computer name>\Administrators)
  • Check the box next to Replace owner on subcontainers and objects
  • Click Apply then click OK to close that dialog and click OK to close the other dialog below it

Let me know how it goes and if you need any further clarification on any of the above steps.

Edited by exile360

Indeed it appears that it was already removed.  Go ahead and try installing it again and let me know how it goes and if there are still any errors during the install process.  Once we've got that working correctly we can proceed to dealing with any other issues that come up after install.

In closing down my PC I clicked on Ignore by mistake in the message at post 6.

It said it had installed.

I tried to run it and got the error message at post 1 saying Unable to Start.

mygoose

Edited by mygoose