Real Time protection keeps turning off

On 2/8/2017 at 11:54 AM, dcollins said:

@ColoradoGuy thanks for the the follow up. It's very strange that you can't turn off self-protection, we'll look through the logs and see if we can find out what's happening there.

@dcollins Just FYI... there are others here (myself included) that cannot turn off self-protection). Odd and worrisome.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

@Telos would you mind gathering some debug logs of that happening please? If so, follow the instructions below.

1. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings -> Application
  2. Turn on the Event Log Data option
  3. Go to Settings -> Protection
  4. Try to turn off "Enable Self-Protection" by clicking on it
  5. Go to Settings -> Application
  6. Turn off the Event Log Data option
  7. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService
    Note: The ProgramData folder may be hidden. You may need to turn on the option to see hidden files, or type the path manually
  8. Right click the logs folder and choose Send To -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
    This should create a zip file on your desktop named logs.zip
  9. Please upload the logs.zip folder

Please also run mb-check from here: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3_check and upload the mb-checkResult.txt file that is created on the desktop

Thanks!

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

@Telos would you mind gathering some debug logs of that happening please? If so, follow the instructions below.

1. Open Malwarebytes and go to Settings -> Application
  2. Turn on the Event Log Data option
  3. Go to Settings -> Protection
  4. Try to turn off "Enable Self-Protection" by clicking on it
  5. Go to Settings -> Application
  6. Turn off the Event Log Data option
  7. Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Malwarebytes\MBAMService
    Note: The ProgramData folder may be hidden. You may need to turn on the option to see hidden files, or type the path manually
  8. Right click the logs folder and choose Send To -> Compressed (Zipped) folder
    This should create a zip file on your desktop named logs.zip
  9. Please upload the logs.zip folder

Please also run mb-check from here: http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/mb3_check and upload the mb-checkResult.txt file that is created on the desktop

Thanks!

#4 - I cannot turn off self-protection (even in safe mode)

#8 - When I tried to zip the log files I couldn't get mbamservice.log because it was "in use". So I turned off all protections and still no success. Then I shut down the service and the logs copied. Basically, I can activate all protections (FWIW, web protection seems to work... at least I get occasional notifications), get updates and scan (though I haven't tried rootkits). But I cannot turn off self-protection. Certain PUP Exclusions don't stick but others do. Files attached.

I had to delete the backup log (mbamservice.log.bk1) because it was too large to upload. It was dated Jan 1 so it probably is of little value.

Thanks for your help.

logs.zip

MB-CheckResult.txt

1 minute ago, dcollins said:

Thanks for the logs. Out of curiosity, I see in the log that you restarted MBAM and then shut it down right before grabbing the log, did you try to disable self-protection during this time as well? (I know it failed, just curious if you tried)

No I didn't. 7zip froze when I tried again to zip the logs. So I tried to exit MBAM and got this odd message about letting it change my system. Remembering profile issues others had doing this, I terminated MBAM using Task Manager, and the rebooted (to kill 7zip) before I grabbed the logs.

I tried to stop protection maybe a dozen times today (including in safe mode) and the switch never budged.

Went checking through 45 pages on the Malwarebytes 3 forum, and the same type of issues have been occurring for the past 2 months. Extremely disappointing that there is no solution on the horizon, or even one promised.

Had another "real time protection layers turned off" popup tonight, and will go through the same steps as before to get everything back up and running. From my perspective, I am not even sure that Malwarebytes acknowledges that they have problems with this release. The requests to provide logs, and then no responses, is frustrating. 

Seems that v3 sacrificed software stability in favor of exciting new features that can be marketed. Gotta love those people focused on product sales and pushing for software releases without adequate beta testing. As such, your users (ie, the ones who paid for the program) have been your defacto beta test group. Probably a cost effective solution for Malwarebytes.

Am unsubscribing to this thread, will visit occasionally to see if anyone has come up with a solution. I may roll back to an earlier version, which did not have these issues.

8 hours ago, ColoradoGuy said:

Went checking through 45 pages on the Malwarebytes 3 forum, and the same type of issues have been occurring for the past 2 months. Extremely disappointing that there is no solution on the horizon, or even one promised.

Agreed. Very frustrating. I've used Malwarebytes for years, installed it on hundreds of clients' systems, and recommended it to countless others. It's always been rock-solid, and the occasional minor bugs were always aknowledged and addressed in short order.

I'm not yet at the point of dumping Malwarebytes, but I'm defintely considering a roll-back to v2 until the "Real-Time Protection is Disabled" debacle is resolved.

Edited by johnnyzero
clarification

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Popeye2u said:

I must have missed it. Where do I upload the files to?

You attach them to your post. Look just below your reply text box.

It's probably better to start a new thread if you want support, otherwise yours might get lost among the conversation here.

Edited by Telos

I must be in excellent company. Been having the same issue. I attempted to turn the real- time protection on. When I flip the toggle switch, it says it's starting but never does.

Also, I've noticed my computer turns off as it nears the end of a scan. Not a shut-down, just clicks off.

Running Windows 10

Edited by Fliger
Additional information supplied

On 30/01/2017 at 8:37 PM, dcollins said:

Hi everyone! If possible, can you please grab some information for us so we can look at what's going on?

1. Open up Malwarebytes 3
  2. Go to Settings -> Application
  3. Turn on Event Log Data
  4. Restart the computer
  5. Open up Malwarebytes
  6. Verify that Web Protection is not turned on
  7. Attempt to turn on Web Protection
  8. Wait 2-3 minutes
  9. >>>>>>>>

I did everything up to 8, and its been OK for the last few hours.

I have dual boot on this machine and I was getting the problem on 7. I shall try it on 10 when I get a chance.

Thanks, Pete.

9 hours ago, Firefox said:

@Ztruker, is this the version you installed?

Beta / Preview of next 3.0.6 update, it suppose to fix the issue you were having....

Actually I had tried this yesterday and got some weird "this page is no longer available" (or something to that effect).  This morning I was able to d/l the file and it [so far] seems to have resolved the issue.  Thank you so much.

Edited by Fliger
Typo

On 2017-01-19 at 1:22 PM, Beckyboop said:

I have exactly the same issue, have tried manually turning it on, no joy it just says starting.........

Hey,

I have the same problem and it is easy to turn on at least for awhile.
If Mbam Protection is off and clicking it on does not work, then do the following:

Open task manager end Malwarebytes service then Malwarebytes tray and then all other malwarebytes running items.
Then once they are closed run Malwarebytes from start menu or desktop icon.
Wait a minute while it starts turn on Malwarebytes Protection from bottom up.

So turn on Ransom Protection, Malware Protection, Exploit Protection and finally Web Protection.

They should turn on at least for a while.
If your protection boots with protection off go to settings and turn on delayed start for around 45 seconds.
It does help a bit with the time between having it off, or at least for me.

I will add Malwarebytes is back to blaming Kaspersky again for my issues.
I even told them i would uninstall kaspersky to prove it was not the issue again.

Anyways I hope my steps help you or others.
Have a good one.
Gren