Micr$oft Edge & Insider Preview Build WIN10

I'm going to disable the real time protection on all my security softs before I update to the newest Windows, usually I don't but not going to take a chance this time. Also heard there is a problem with Shadow Defender which I use occasionally, chances are I will uninstall it first although developer said there is a fix coming.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/21/2017 at 2:34 PM, John L. Galt said:

But it relates to the exact same behavior, with an explanation on why it occurs, and how to fix it so MB 3 doesn't force Windows to disable Defender.

The same still applies now.

Win 10 build 16176 was released last Friday and things have changed again.

With this current build MB no longer turns Defender off. Definite weirdness. LOL

1 hour ago, Soozy said:

Win 10 build 16176 was released last Friday and things have changed again.

With this current build MB no longer turns Defender off. Definite weirdness. LOL

Did you install MB 3 after updating to CU?  I'm wondering if CU, rather, turned Defender back on and MB3 decided not to interfere....

True.  I was thinking one thing in my head and typing another.  I meant to say the first IP after CU, which I already have on my machine as well.

That's what I get for not making sure my brain was in gear before engaging my fingers lol.

1 minute ago, John L. Galt said:

True.  I was thinking one thing in my head and typing another.  I meant to say the first IP after CU, which I already have on my machine as well.

That's what I get for not making sure my brain was in gear before engaging my fingers lol.

Often happens to me as well!

1 hour ago, John L. Galt said:

Did you install MB 3 after updating to CU?  I'm wondering if CU, rather, turned Defender back on and MB3 decided not to interfere....

I had done a clean install of the CU when the ISO was released, then installed MB3.

But Defender was off then and off with 16170.

Defender only turned back on with 16176.

2 minutes ago, Phone Man said:

What version of MB 3 are you using.

MB released  Component Update 1.0.103 to address that problem with Windows Creators Update a few days ago and was pushed out through MB update service.

Jim :ph34r:

That might be what fixed the issue. I might have gotten it while I had 16170 and didn't realize it until I got 16176.

On 4/17/2017 at 10:38 PM, Phone Man said:

What version of MB 3 are you using.

MB released  Component Update 1.0.103 to address that problem with Windows Creators Update a few days ago and was pushed out through MB update service.

Jim :ph34r:

OK with build 16179, MB is shutting Defender off again.

Thanks @Soozy, that all looks correct. Can you confirm that under MB3 -> Settings -> Application you have Malwarebytes set to "Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings based on your system (recommended)"?

And lastly, if you toggle that setting to Never register, wait 60 seconds, then toggle it back to Recommended, does that allow defender to start?

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 7.57.10 AM.png

1 hour ago, dcollins said:

Thanks @Soozy, that all looks correct. Can you confirm that under MB3 -> Settings -> Application you have Malwarebytes set to "Let Malwarebytes apply the best Windows Action Center settings based on your system (recommended)"?

And lastly, if you toggle that setting to Never register, wait 60 seconds, then toggle it back to Recommended, does that allow defender to start?

Screen Shot 2017-04-26 at 7.57.10 AM.png

Yes, that 1st option was ticked. And yes, toggled it to Never and back to Let and Defender started.

Devin,

Am I to understand that this scenario is occurring only on pre-existing installs of MB 3 with newer Windows IP builds, or is this also possible with new installs of MB 3 on new Windows IP builds?

My offer to test in a VM would have been with a new MB 3 install, but I can easily expand testing to including scenarios where I have CU installed with the current MB 3 and then start updating to the latest IP builds to see if it occurs there, but Soozy has already shown that it does.

I suspect you're already doing all of this in-house, but if you need more testing, let me know :)

On 4/27/2017 at 10:37 AM, dcollins said:

I tested that scenario (Going from Creators Update to IP with .103 already installed) and could not replicate. From what I understand that's the setup soozy had.

Win 10 build 16184 again shuts Defender Off. Toggling That Windows Action Center setting turns Defender back on again.