False positive

6 hours ago, Staticguy said:

@Porthos I should have mentioned this before. My laptop package says "Windows 10 Home" but when I turn on my laptop and type about Windows it says "Windows 10 Enterprise". Few hours ago, I went to harvey norman website and had a online chat with a tech representative and told me to go to the shop and tell them what you told me. so I went to the shop and I told them what I told to the tech representative. The tech was confused and couldn't come up with an answer why the package name is different to the name on the laptop. So they checked the S/N number to the package and the S/N number on the laptop and it's a match. While I was with the tech in the shop, she phoned to the manufacturer "ACER" and they told them what i told the tech at the shop. The Acer support tech told the tech from the shop that we don't sell Pro/home versions anymore. The name on the package can say home/Pro but once you turn on the computer it says Enterprise.

This came straight from the horses's mouth :) aka ACER support tech. The tech and the customer (me) shouldn't be worried or concerned about anything. It's just how we (manufacturer) work and etc etc. We put the same name "Enterprise" for all laptops even though the package says different home/Pro

I can't remember the exact word and such it's too tech for me :)

I guess HP, ASUS, Acer works differently from each other.

That horse was not speaking out of his mouth think  a little SOUTH. For the last time, Get your MONEY BACK and go to another store. You are being RIPPED OFF. The manufacture DOES NOT have the choice to install the enterprise version on anything.

I am not just another home user. I have been in the computer sales service repair business for 15years now. I am sure even @AdvancedSetupwill agree with my assessment..

Take a read.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/windows10.aspx#tab=2

Edited by Porthos

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

That horse was not speaking out of his mouth think  a little SOUTH. For the last time, Get your MONEY BACK and go to another store. You are being RIPPED OFF. The manufacture DOES NOT have the choice to install the enterprise version on anything.

I am not just another home user. I have been in the computer sales service repair business for 15years now. I am sure even @AdvancedSetupwill agree with my assessment..

Take a read.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/Licensing/product-licensing/windows10.aspx#tab=2

I will agree with the above assessment.  A retail shop can not use a VLK.  It has to be a OEM/retail OS license.

Edited by David H. Lipman
Grammatical fix

• Root Admin

Yes, I agree with @Porthos

Each OS also has a different cost. Home, Pro, Enterprise all sell for a different price. You or a local repair shop can purchase an OEM DVD of Windows and install it, but there is no way a "real" technician from Acer 1. Picked up the phone, support costs and one would be routed through different channels to even talk with a real technician. 2. Said that they put Enterprise on all systems. I'm sorry but that just is not possible.

A more likely scenario is that the local shop has legal or illegal copies of the Windows installer and tries to make a buck by installing illegal copies of Windows on user computers. They could buy an OEM install DVD and install Windows but that would cost them from $80 to $160 dollars. If on the other hand, they install the same version on every computer they build and run a hack on it then they charge you the customer for Windows, but they themselves never pay for it. However, again they would not have the Enterprise version to install for a home user.

As I see it you have a few choices.

1. Ignore it and move on

2. Press the shop and tell them you want your money back or you want to watch them open a shrink-wrapped copy of Windows 10 Home or Pro, with the Certificate of Authenticity intact and install that onto your computer in your presence .

3. Contact Microsoft and have them verify and/or update, fix, or provide assistance in obtaining a legitimate license.

4. Purchase Windows 10 Home or Pro full version, directly from the Microsoft Store, then FDISK, FORMAT, and install Windows 10, update it, and be on your way again with a proper, legal version of Windows.

Sorry, but there is no legal way that I'm aware of for a regular home user to obtain a single copy of Windows 10 Enterprise. You cannot purchase it on the Microsoft Store or NewEgg but you can purchase Windows 10 Home or Pro from both of them.

Edited by AdvancedSetup

There is ONE more option. Make a win 10 disk from the media creation tool and wipe and install the Windows 10 that it is really supposed to have.

If the box said win 10 home it will read the key in the BIOS and install home and automatically activate when it gets online.

If this is above your skills take it some where else and pay for them to do it.

Hi:

1 hour ago, AdvancedSetup said:

3. Contact Microsoft and have them verify and/or update, fix, or provide assistance in obtaining a legitimate license.

This one has my vote.

Kills 2 birds with one stone: @Staticguy will likely get a legal license from MS, AND MS will probably take action to shut down the shady crooks responsible, thereby removing their ability to scam and cheat other customers.

• Root Admin
44 minutes ago, olduser said:

Or better do nothing!

You have a working PC with a working version of Win7, so why bother????

Just ignore the FP and enjoy your new laptop:rolleyes:

Because we do not condone Piracy and a user that purchased from a business that appears to be scamming them is not right. Please do not give further such advice @olduser,  to condone piracy, theft, scams or your ability to post will be placed on monitored posting.

Thank you

Guys today I went to the office of Microsoft (New Zealand) and bought my laptop with me to straighten this one out. What ever I told the technician at the shop about the logs that contains the detection, and the shop technician called up Acer about the package saying Windows 10 home and on the computer it says Enterprise, and is it a legal/illegal copy of windows. About the detections, he (from the office of Microsoft NZ) confirmed the same thing that it's a file from Office and that it is safe to delete because this laptop doesn't have  MS Office installed. I then asked him that why the package said Windows 10 Home, but when I turned on my laptop to find out what version it is and it said Windows 10 Enterprise, and I went to other shops and they said they don't sell enterprise only Home. He confirmed and said the laptop you bought from the shop it's a legitimate and legal copy of Windows 10 and it's not a "SCAM" and "NOT RIPPING OFF" and the reason why the shop that you got it from contained the Enterprise and not the Home version is very lucky. You are one of the lucky ones and a good thing, and not many customers can't get enterprise version of Windows 10 in a shop only Windows 10 Home. 

And again guys, Harvey Norman, Neol leeming, and JBHiFi are 3 of the biggest shops in New Zealand that sells good quality electronics equipments such as freezes, tv, computer, laptop, and etc and especially computer and laptop they all sell legitimate and legal copy of Windows 10. If you go to small shops for example don't want to buy expensive computers and laptops they sell pirated/illegal copy of Windows. There are these kinds of shops in New Zealand and I don't even go there. I go to 3 of those shops.

He even said that since you are a student and u go to office for work, Enterprise version will be ok and if you are planning to open up a business, you don't need to switch from Enterprise to Home because you already have an Enterprise version. I then bought up this conversation that me,my younger brother, my dad and one of my uncle and his two sons are planning to open up a small civil engineering company he said you should keep the enterprise version because it has more features than home edition and it will be perfect. 

• 7 months later...

I would like to chime in here.

The retailer in question is Harvey Norman, one of the major chain retailers in Australia, and reputable.  I had a friend buy an Acer laptop a couple of weeks ago from them and one of the options the salesperson was pushing was to change the HDD to an SSD (just like the OP was offered).  This process involved the user phoning a third party tech firm who would "sort out" the SSD. 

I am sure that the original Acer computer would have had a genuine copy of Windows 10 Home or Pro.  It looks to me like the 3rd party tech company supplying the pre-loaded SSDs might be the culprits.

I will get my friend to check to see if her Windows is Enterprise.

@John A Hi mate! Yeah I know exactly what you mean. It's the freaking same thing that those idiots offered me and I got lots of warnings from these professional team in this message but I ignored them and as we speak I am personally writing them my apology messages to them. Before I bought that Acer laptop from Harvey Norman (NZ) they told me about the HDD upgrade to SSD and I said lots of questions to them blah blah blah blah blah and etc and they told me they have only one left in stock (in their warehouse) and they told me that many customers bought this same machine and there was no complaints. I bet those customers agreed to upgrade from HDD to SSD and I am pretty sure they got pissed off and harvey norman gave them a refund and harvey norman didn't tell me this because they didn't want to. Also I am 100% sure that they don't know how to check if their machine has got the correct Windows OS by going to winver and going to system info. When I bought that Acer laptop from Harvey Norman (NZ) the package said Windows 10 Home Edition and the machine had to be the same as the package. Went home and i typed winver and went to system info and it said the Enterprise version. I went back to the shop and i told them that I found new evidence that it's not the home edition and they looked shocked and it seemed that the techs in harvey norman didn't know this. She even bought her manager to me and the manager told me that these days even though the package said home edition and the machine said enterprise it's almost similar things. They even put me through Acer and they even said similar to what the manager said. I just went yeah yeah ok that's good (even though my mind said WTF). The following day I went to vacation for one month and from there it all went downhill a system boot failure occurred (my machine won't start up). Came from holiday sent my acer laptop to repair and i got it back in 2-3 weeks time. In another 2-3 weeks same issue happened. Went to shop i told me to give me a refund they said can't because it needs to be assessed by acer so anyways they sent it back. I got it back in few weeks time. Another 1 month same issue. Got it to harvey norman and they won't let me have the refund because acer needs to assess it. I got it back in few weeks time and they told me that the 1st two issue with system boot it's due to the wrong Windows OS installation. From there everything was working okay but there comes a new issue screen flickering, volume malfunction, graphics drivers issue, and etc. Another manager in store supported me and sent my laptop to access and in 3 days they gave me a refund. Mate your friend must have her machine as Enterprise and tell your mate to get a refund. In my and her case our Acer Windows OS got pirated because one of the user in this forum mentioned that they used the same key and hacked it so it can be used to install in many machine

In couple of days I went to JBHIFi and I bought Dell 15" Inspiron 7000 Gaming. It's a rockstar machine and it's got Windows 10 Home Edition and 1 SSD and 1 HDD inside that machine. My younger brother bought his laptop Windows 7 from JBHIFI some 3-4 years ago and still he is having no issues. I now believe that JBHFI sells legitimate copy of Windows OS. From now on I will buy eveything from JBHIFI.

You have a great day mate :)

Very interesting story #StaticGuy

Her computer now won't boot! So it looks like she has a similar problem.  Harvey Norman here told her to bring it in and they would reset it and make sure the correct version of Windows is on it, or replace it.

Cheers

Trust me mate! Even though they will make sure the correct version of windows is installed she will in occur other problems like screen flickering some sound malfunction and etc. It will be better for your mate to tell them that to get a refund and get a new laptop from a different store. On my 2nd visit to harvey norman (boot startup issue) there were at least 2-3 customers with similar than mine but with other issues like no internet connection and etc and it was a acer laptop.

My hunch is that harvey norman sells pirated/illegal copies of Windows and especially Acer is behind all of this. One of the users (experts) told me here that to report this store to Microsoft for illegal copies of Windows OS, but I didn't do it because I am afraid that it would backfire me. So better for her to buy a new laptop from a different store like JBHIFI. Tell her not to buy Acer laptop and either buy HP or DELL. These two laptops are very good.