RubbeR DuckY

Malwarebytes Acquires Junkware Removal Tool

Hi folks! Get want to get all of your attention regarding about a false positive from Avast that it detects Junkware Removal Tool as Win32:Evo-gen (Susp). Few hours ago me (an avast user) along with other users reported this false positive to Avast via Support and in the forum. Few minutes ago, the VPS update for Avast has been updated and no longer detects JRT as a suspecious file and it corrected it.

So to those users who uses Avast, your avast vps will update to 150627-1 to correct this false positive. Thanks.

Also to the Malwarebytes Antimalware Team. A chinese antivirus company called Jiangmin still detects JRT as a threat via VirusTotal https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/5811fa2d10c25abb4c25b598301d61c480c32668b539d14aa049c52bdb5c9214/analysis/1435440074/

The threat name is Trojan/Generic.buxhs.

It also detected it via MetaScan online, but it has dropped the detection now

FYI we normally request that anti-virus programs be disabled when deploying JRT, so there shouldn't be anything interfering with running the tool.  I can see where an A/V might remove it when downloaded and before running though.

In that case we can request disabling A/V before download as a work-around.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Donetao - Since this is the 2nd time you've brought this up - I will state clearly for all that you did not get into trouble for your views on that feature and your issues with TSF have nothing to do with this forum nor this topic.

While you consider the build up of EventViewer logs on your machine to be a nuisance, please bear in mind that recent, past Event Viewer information is helpful to forum Helpers from a diagnostic standpoint - which is why thisisu changed JRT to no longer automatically clear them.

The tool still has the ability to clear EventViewer logs, you just have to trigger it to do so.  Also, as you mentioned, you have other programs at your disposal to clear them if you want them cleared. 

**edit**

This post was in response to a member whose post had since been deleted

Edited by Ried

I share the excitement !

Nice move. :)

FYI we normally request that anti-virus programs be disabled when deploying JRT, so there shouldn't be anything interfering with running the tool.  I can see where an A/V might remove it when downloaded and before running though.

In that case we can request disabling A/V before download as a work-around.  Thanks for the info.  :)

Thanks for that info DanoNH to disable A/V before running JRT. I didn't know that. Your welcome  :)

Hi again,

Wisdom-soft Screenhunter pro / free won't be removed any more once the tool is updated to 7.2.0 (soon)

Thank you for your reply, Filipos,.. and fix to JRT..

Cheers,

Steve

Definitely needs an option to choose what it deletes.

It wrongly deleted:  Eusing Free Registry Cleaner, FreeRIP MP3 Converter & the Firefox prefs.js file

FreeRIP is bundled with adware as well.

As for prefs.js JRT, adwcleaner, zoek etc usually remove the unwanted lines from the file without deleting the whole file.

Regards,

Georgi

Congratulation! It's a good acquisition. Are are still published in BC to update the database?

Hello Baron4712 and :welcome:

The following will now be the newest and best source with the highest integrity for the basic application.

The database updates come from a different source.

https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/jrt/

Thank you.

The JRT download on BleepingComputer is still good to use as well :)

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will always have free removal capabilities. You didn't pay to get infected, you shouldn't pay to remove it.

And this is why I will always be a Malwarebytes customer and recommend it to everyone that I can :)

Awesome!

I just got Malwarebytes Anti-malware prenium as well as Anti-exploit premium. I have seen in the posts that there is a junkware removal tool. Is this tool already integrated into Malwarebytes Anti-malware premum and works automatically or is there something I need to do ?

Hello eberhad652:

Reference: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/169586-malwarebytes-acquires-junkware-removal-tool/#entry970849

The most key features of Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) will be integrated into Malwarebytes Anti-Malware in a future release.

The basic tool is still being maintained and may be downloaded from https://downloads.malwarebytes.org/file/jrt/. However, and depending on your computer maintenance expertise, it may be advisable to run this powerful tool under the close supervision of a qualified Malware Removal Expert.

Thank you.

JRT just removed Chrome extension uBlock Origin.  

Given the choice, that would not have been allowed to happen.

Not too happy about the removal without permission process, but from reading this thread it looks as though that may change?

Yes, once fully integrated you'll have the choice of what to remove or not. You can also report to us in the FP section if you feel it is a false detection just like always.

Thank you

You can also report to us in the FP section if you feel it is a false detection just like always.

To be clear, are you saying the uBlock FP I just posted about is not considered reported unless I post it in another thread?

No because once it's fully integrated that will no longer be relevant. If it's currently a FP it will be removed long before the next program release.

What I am trying to determine is whether or not what I just reported about JRT removing the Chrome extension uBlock Origin is going to be addressed?

You have not said whether or not anyone will look at that.  Or if you have, I'm not understanding.

Thank you

Hi mynorgeek

This is not the false positive reporting area of the forum. You asked if you would be given the choice and I said yes you will once it's fully integrated. If you think it is a false positive then you can report it.

This is just a NEWS section of the forum not a support section.

Please report any file false positive in this forum

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/forum/42-file-detections/

Thank you again

I doubt that I'll be using the tool again, and I've already noted the FP, so you guys can ignore the heads up if you like, doesn't matter to me.

And now, back to the NEWS.

Thanks, Ron.