Accounting firm gets Cryptolocker Virus

AdvancedSetup

• Root Admin

Warning... a lot of foul language used on this post.  Funny and sad at the same time.  Can't believe the level of System Admins that some companies employ.

Accounting firm gets Cryptolocker Virus

Accounting firm gets Cryptolocker Virus. Tech wipes the server to clean it because he has Carbonite backups.

He can't remember password to the privately managed encryption key file and can't download the firms backup.

Everything lost.

Especially since, the Crypto Locker (a major type of cryptovirology) is NOT a virus, it is a trojan !

It (current renditions of the Crypto Locker) is incapable of self replication or autonomous spreading.  It needs the assistance of Social Engineering, Spear Phishing, Vulnerability Exploitation and other external means to infect a given host.

Especially since, the Crypto Locker (a major type of cryptovirology) is NOT a virus, it is a trojan !

Well, we call that type of malware 'ransomware', if you want to get technical. ;)

As for the issue at hand, what corporation does not have on-site backups made to external hard drives or tapes? Online backup services are great, but why on Earth you would rely solely on such mechanisms is beyond me. Data like what they had is too important to risk losing to forgotten passwords and such.

Ransomware is a sub-type of the overarching concept of cryptovirology.  It is a sub-type because one can encrypt a target's data without holding them for a ransom fee and one can also  hold a system hostage for ransom without any form of data encryption.  So calling it ransomware  is getting more technical, it is qualifying the classification of the Crypto trojan.

"So while I have great sympathy for this owner and the firm ..."

aaannnddd ... ya know where you find "sympathy" in the dictionary ... and it is worth just about as much .

ron , you are right about the language ... however it goes beyond that ...

attitude

persona

professionalism (lack thereof)

deportment

i don't know how others feel , about the last person i would want to have some thing to do with is a guy that "blogs" about going out and drinking and then (from all outward appearances) proceeds to post while in the process of killing more of his dwindling number of braincells via ingestion of ethanol based liquids .

his accounting of the "morning after" shows a total lack professional decorum ...

in short , he is (in my opinion) a self-important twit that could use a couple of lessons in "grow up" .

Ransomware is a sub-type of the overarching concept of cryptovirology.  It is a sub-type because one can encrypt a target's data without holding them for a ransom fee and one can also  hold a system hostage for ransom without any form of data encryption.  So calling it ransomware  is getting more technical, it is qualifying the classification of the Crypto trojan.

Didn't you just say the same thing I did?

... in the process of killing more of his dwindling number of braincells via ingestion of ethanol based liquids . ...

You know what's really tasty? Some nice hot coffee with some Bailey's Original Irish Cream in it. ;)

I also like to put some spiced rum in hot chocolate, and my favorite is Captain Morgan Black (although there are some good rums that I haven't tried yet).

in short , he is (in my opinion) a self-important twit that could use a couple of lessons in "grow up" .

So, basically, he's a typical reddit user? :P