How long should a full scan take?

I intaled a Paid Version of "Malwarebytes" on a "Dell Xeon 470 Workstation" yesterday.

The first time I ran a scan it took over 2hrs which is fine by me.

Today when I did a Full Scan it only took 49 seconds.

Figuring it was a glitch I waited a few minutes and tried again it still took 49 seconds.

Is this too fast? Am I missing something? If a Full Scan takes 49 seconds how long does a Quick Scan take?

I'm presently at 2 hours and still running. There's definitely an exponential slowdown in the scan as time goes on - the longer into the scan the slower it takes. It's current scan rate is approximately 3 files per second. Something is not right here. :)

I'm presently at 2 hours and still running. There's definitely an exponential slowdown in the scan as time goes on - the longer into the scan the slower it takes. It's current scan rate is approximately 3 files per second. Something is not right here. :o

Disregarding the possibility that an infection itself may be causing the computer to become progressively slower, start with simple stuff.

How much RAM do you have?

What size is/are the hard drive(s)?

What is your CPU speed?

What is the architecture?

How fast do your hard drives spin?

On this computer a "full scan" takes me about an hour-and-a-half (not just the first time):

2 GB RAM

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ 2.0 GHz

40 GB 1st hard disk drive, 5400 rpm

32-bit

120 BG second hard disk drive, 7200 rpm

On this one, in spite of the large disks, it only takes about 20 minutes!

4 GB RAM (incorrectly identified in another post as 8!)

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 5200+ 2.71 GHz

64-bit (but running older 32-bit XP)

300 GB 1st hard disk (210 GB not used for Windows, so effectively 290), 7200 rpm

500 GB 2nd hard disk, 7200 rpm

Disregarding the possibility that an infection itself may be causing the computer to become progressively slower, start with simple stuff.

How much RAM do you have?

What size is/are the hard drive(s)?

What is your CPU speed?

What is the architecture?

How fast do your hard drives spin?

4 GB RAM

320 GB 7200RPM

Intel Core2Duo T7500 2.2GHz

32-bit

Single HD

Lean background processes

No infections for nearly 2 years

The full scan is very thorough, but 99.99% not necessary.

I apologize for jumping out of line, but the opportunity to go straight to the head man was too good to pass. My QUICK scan is taking 50 minutes to an hour to run. CNET's review stated a run time of much less (seconds?). My computer is a 2002 Dell 8200, XP SP3, 2G, 512 RAM; the malware settings are all checked EXCEPT Terminate IE during removal. Any idea why it is taking so loooong.

Thank you,

Bruce Robinson

Email removed

ADMIN EDIT

this is something thats being a concern for myself.

i thought somthing wasnt right but nothings being found as with search & destroy/webroots antivirus/antispyware.

so i thought somehow it was down to faster/newer versions,however now i read the normal time i am very suspect.

a full scan went from 2hrs to round about 20mins.

the only thing i can think off is i did have a update issiue so instaled one update manually,but thats was a while back.

it didnt occur to me till now that might be why.

i guess i should look at reistalling and getting back if its still so quick.

in the mean time,any other suggestions as to why this is so quick?