unusual run-time error with mbam (among other system glitches)

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Don't forget a disk check and defrag unless you're using an SSD drive.

You may also want to reset your browsers if you copied over their settings.

Please visit each of the following sites and lets reset all of your browsers back to defaults to prevent unexpected issues.
If you are not using one of the browsers but it is installed then you may want to consider uninstalling it as older versions of some software can pose an increase in the potential for an infection to get in.

Internet Explorer
How to reset Internet Explorer settings

Firefox
Restore Firefox Default Settings Without Uninstalling It

Chrome
Chrome - Reset browser settings

Opera
How to Perform a (really) clean Reinstall of Opera

nothing has come up in the scans but things are still glitchy... like for example when i update some things, like i tried to do with defraggler just now... often they have that "sneaky" opt-in thing before you click install and you usually have to click yay or nay before it'll let you install, however it doesn't provide those options on the set up window (in this case to download google chrome) so i end up not being able to download the update because there's nothing there to select/deselect. however it's defraggler, i'm sure the version i'm using should be fine...

• Root Admin

Up to you but for me Defraggler really isn't giving you anything more than what's built-in to Windows.

You can setup a Scheduled Task and have it defrag the drive for you every couple of days or so.

Create a batch file with this in it:

DEFRAG C:

Then set up a task to run that batch file and then it will automatically do it for you as often as you have the schedule run.

Well if there is nothing else then I'm going to be closing this topic soon unless there is some type of malware activity.

Thanks

• Root Admin

Please download the following scanner from Kaspersky and save it to your computer: TDSSkiller

Then watch the following video on how to use the tool and make sure to temporarily disable your security applications before running TDSSkiller.

PC Winvids - How to run Kaspersky TDSSKiller

If any infection is found please make sure to choose SKIP and post back the log in case of a False Positive detection.

Once the tool has completed scanning make sure to re-enable your other security applications.

• Root Admin

Note: Only attempt this if you are running an English installation of Windows XP as this tool has NOT been tested on Windows Vista or Windows 7 or on non-English installations of Windows:

Reset Default Permissions:

• Please download ResetDefaultPerms written by AdvancedSetup from here and save it to your desktop
  • Close any open programs and save anything you were working on
  • Double click on restoredefaultperms.exe to run it
  • Once it completes it will restart your computer