stoneweather

unusual run-time error with mbam (among other system glitches)

alright it's done:

as a sidenote i tried deleting that locked addon in the WoW addons folder and it worked just fine.

echkdsk.txt

It looks like it was able to correct quite a bit of errors there on that drive as well.  However due to a read error I would suspect that the drive might be failing.  I would highly recommend that you backup any important data from that drive to another drive just in case of failure.

Then if the system has a built-in program to test the drive I'd run it.  If not then check with the drive MFG site and use their disk to test the hard drive.

So how are the antivirus and MBAM scans now?

Are they all okay now?

mbam still gives me the same runtime error... i'm in the middle of running another avast scan now.

yeah i was wondering about that because i -was- at sp 3 before i tried to repair windows. alright then.

okay avast turned up no infections and no files that could not be scanned (the log was blank) so i guess that's a good thing at least, downloading that sp3 now... i'm not sure who the MFG for that harddrive is... due to the screwed up windows repair things like clicking on System Information do nothing, it's unresponsive... though i have to say i've been noticing for quite a long time with the E drive that things were at times a bit too glitchy... that's where almost all my music, video and game files are.

ooh okay, downloading that (for windows) now... should i run that first or instald sp3 first?

okay it detected 2 drives... one passed, one failed, the problem is i don't know which is which... it just lists the serial/model numbers and not what drives they are.

okay it detected 2 drives... one passed, one failed, the problem is i don't know which is which... it just lists the serial/model numbers and not what drives they are.

(i.e. E: or C: or I: etc. )

Please click on START - RUN and type in devmgmt.msc Then near the top will be a list for Disk drives and they should show the model numbers and size for you.

You can select a drive and then right click on it and choose Properties and then click on the Volumes tab and then click on the Populate and it should provide the drive letter for you.

That should give you enough information to determine which is which. 

If you slowly go through the test program though it to should show you a wealth of information about each drive.

okay yeah it's the drive with all the important stuff on it, unfortunately i don't have anything readily available to back it up... i suppose i can buy another external but that won't be until next monday.

Well I would HIGHLY recommend that you find some of the most important stuff and copy it off to CD or some online backup site.  I've lost a few drives myself the past couple years and its no fun to lose stuff.

I would also recommend using the computer as little as possible until you can get your data backed up and I would not continue with malware detection and removal as that could potentially push it over the edge.  Once you have a new drive in place and have your data backed up we can continue.

well i might be able to snag my 1tb seagate external back from my dad tomorrow and use that to back it up, but again won't be able to replace the failing drive until monday. thanks a lot for your time, i REALLY appreciate it, learned a lot along the way... i will keep you posted.

got the new drive last night, just setting up partitions and whatnot now, sorry for the delays.

oh and i successfully restored the old c drive onto this new drive including system state... however that includes the corrupted files of the failing drive (which was correct when i took it in he said it was failing), so i'm thinking run another windows repair from the cd next?

If Windows will run it may be all right as actual corrupted data that cannot be read requires special software to copy so that should not be an issue for the most part. There might be a few files that are not fully intact.  I would test the new drive though as well and do a disk check on it too to ensure data integrity.

yeah i noticed even after the system state was restored things like System Information and HD ADeck and mbam are still unresponsive/not working properly, i'll run that disk check shortly.

oh and i have noticed that previous glitchy behaviour when running things like winamp no longer occurs now.